Infinity 1.7.10: Ultimate solar panel

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Geech6

Jul 29, 2019
Sooo.... Just an FYI more than anything, no bug just information...

I setup an Ultimate Solar Panel in my AE autocrafting and I've been going at it for about 14 hours. Considering I had to make a Crafting multiblock in AE that has 10 crafting CPU's and 2.3 million bytes of storage and it's taking 14+ hours to craft (it has 2 advanced solar panels left to craft) I was wondering what the community thought. Is it overpowered for a single block that creates 32,768 rf/t or is it worth it because AE takes around 18 hours (estimated) to autocraft. Thoughts?

natirs

Oct 12, 2013
israel
are you talking about the advanced solar panels mod version of ultimate solar panel?
because that would not take 14 hours plus. just crafting 1 advanced solar takes my system to craft in like 5 minutes

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Unless you are factoring in the time taken to produce UU-matter to make the iridium and the time needed for the molecular transformer to make sunnarium or whatever, it shouldn't take more than a few minutes to make.

I can understand it if you let your replicator have an untapped power feed and it's drained your batteries making UU-matter.

Colensocon1

Jul 29, 2019
Unless you are factoring in the time taken to produce UU-matter to make the iridium and the time needed for the molecular transformer to make sunnarium or whatever, it shouldn't take more than a few minutes to make.

I can understand it if you let your replicator have an untapped power feed and it's drained your batteries making UU-matter.
He's talking about the Solar Expansion solar not advanced solars.

Geech6

Jul 29, 2019
He's talking about the Solar Expansion solar not advanced solars.

Yes I should have clarified, Solar expansion solar panels. Each one uses 8 of the one before it to craft, which is a lot of crafting. I don't do IC2 anymore which as far as I know IC2 doesn't produce RF.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Ah.

I've not actually built the top-tier panel from that mod.

My autocrafting setup took about 10 minutes to make an advanced solar panel. Something about 4000 leadstone panels takes a little while to craft even with all the basic materials ready stored up and a decently optimised bank of molecular assemblers.

Geech6

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, test 2.

I'm using compacting storage drawers to store the my ingots and dusts so I can get the nuggets required for the recipe without having to craft things.

I have started at 7:03 am CDT and will see how long it will take to craft without having to craft the ingots and lapis to nuggets. I should be able to cut the time down considerably.

*EDIT: Test 2 has been delayed because I can't find out why I can't press my start button on my AE2 crafting network. I moved my crafting processors around and it's not recognizing them. I've got some work to do.

Last edited:

Geech6

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, I have started test 2 finally after some storage drawers intricacies with AE2 crafting...

Test 2 started at 2:19pm CDT. I will check in with it before I got to bed tonight, to see how far it has gone and how far I estimate it to go.

Geech6

Jul 29, 2019
Well crap... I missed it ending... It had two advanced solar panels done at 9:50pm and I have no idea when it ended... time to setup for Test 3...

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
The bottlenecks for this will be the steel, invar, electrum and enderium nuggets...

You'll either need to keep a big enough stock of these metals at all times that replenishes slowly, or setup a really really fast on demand system. If you're using the same machine to produce all these metals it going to take hours and hours and hours.

Upgrade the below machines fully and use lots of them:
Steel: use Induction smelters with coal dust and iron to make refined iron that breaks down into steel nuggets
Invar: Induction smelter with iron and ferrous ingots
Electrum: Induction smelter with gold and silver ingots
Enderium: use the EnderIO alloy smelter route for this, it's easier to setup multiples without having liquids

EDIT: so I have taken up this challenge, one machine each to make the enderium and electrum is fine as you really don't need that much. The real bottleneck is the glass and refined iron/steel, will post pics of my setup once it's running properly but I'm definitely in the minute rather than hour range

Last edited:
Reactions: stentninja

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
So I've got it down to 32min54sec, this is the fastest possible and I'll explain why further down

Mods Needed:
Applied Energistics
Thermal Expansion
Ender IO
Extra Utilities

All machines are fully upgraded with augments/capacitors

Machines I used(overkill):
Crafting CPU with at least 33x 64k storage and 32 co-processors
3x crafting CPU's with any storage and 3 co-processors
AT LEAST 16x interfaces each with 5x Molecular Assemblers full of acceleration cards(best is a single pattern in each interface for everything needed, 25 total)
36x redstone furnaces to make glass
9x pulverizers to make coal dust
11x Induction Smelters to make Refined Iron
3x Induction Smelters to make invar
1x Induction Smelter to make electrum
1x Alloy Smelter to make enderium base
1x Alloy smelter to make enderium

With this setup the bottleneck becomes crafting the photovoltaic cells which are being crafted by 5 fully upgraded assemblers around an interface meaning it's as fast as possible. Since the "ingredients" are all complete before they can be crafted the optimised setup would probably be around 32 glass furnaces, 7(maybe less) coal pulverizers, 9 refined iron smelters, 1 induction smelter for both invar and electrum and 1 alloy smelter for enderium base and enderium.

Oh yes and if you do build this on a server build it out of render distance and use opaque itemducts because the amount of render load crashed my test world.

Pics below:

wiZvdAO.png

Starting resources.

1aFf3wm.png

Crafting CPU space requirements.

OBdh7Li.jpg

fj0XXs7.jpg

Setup.

So no it's certainly not OP, especially because of the steel requirment.

So anyway as you were, I'll get back to my Quantum Solar factory now.

Last edited:
Reactions: malicious_bloke

Colensocon1

Jul 29, 2019
Its actually more resource efficient to make the Ender IO Photovoltaic cells, in my opinion the Solar expansion mod has tried to make solars more balanced by making them fairly expensive but at the same time this has made them a little too expensive especially compared to other mods like big reactors its a shame really i like using solars through my gameplay.

Bickers

Jul 29, 2019
wouldn't it be faster with ingots stored in compacting drawers that way it wont need to auto craft the nuggets ?

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
Nuggets are done crafting way before the photovoltaic cells because you get 9 each craft. The cells are the speed limit, there's just no way to craft 98 000+ of them any faster

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
The interface for the steel induction smelters has a crafting card and is set to keep stock of pulverised coal so one of the little CPU's handles that craft, was the simplest and fastest way I could think to handle the refined iron in multiple machines as you need 2 coal dust per iron. And there was space so I put in another 2;)

The invar uses a similar setup for the 2 iron and one ferrous, the iron is permanently stocked in the machines and the ferrous is added to cook. Filters in the transfer nodes and rationing pipes stop things getting clogged up.