Question about ME cables

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Gabesploder

Jul 29, 2019
Do they have a set range? I'm running a pretty extraordinarily long chain of about 1,700 blocks [Wireless is so power expensive :( ] I don't seem to be getting my items on the other side. I've gone through and checked a few times and I'm 100% sure that all the cables are connected. Again, do they have a set range? Or do they have to be chunk loaded? I really need help, all these cables were heck-a expensive!

sgbros1

Jul 29, 2019
IIRC, they all have to be loaded, and each cable requires more power to maintain.

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
Do they have a set range? I'm running a pretty extraordinarily long chain of about 1,700 blocks [Wireless is so power expensive :( ] I don't seem to be getting my items on the other side. I've gone through and checked a few times and I'm 100% sure that all the cables are connected. Again, do they have a set range? Or do they have to be chunk loaded? I really need help, all these cables were heck-a expensive!

They do have to be loaded as the previous poster eluded to, but if you are going over a long distance, have you considered quantum bridges? They'd give you what you want/need (access to your items), without the long ass line of cables. Direwolf has recently been screwing around with them in his single player lp series, so you might want to go have a looksie.

Reactions: malicious_bloke

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
They do have to be loaded as the previous poster eluded to, but if you are going over a long distance, have you considered quantum bridges? They'd give you what you want/need (access to your items), without the long ass line of cables. Direwolf has recently been screwing around with them in his single player lp series, so you might want to go have a looksie.

^ that.

Gabesploder

Jul 29, 2019

Yes, I suppose I'll have to use them now. It just that they take so much power and I was hoping that using cables would be free. Guess I should have done my research before I made 1,900+ ME Cables

trinityamc

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, I suppose I'll have to use them now. It just that they take so much power and I was hoping that using cables would be free. Guess I should have done my research before I made 1,900+ ME Cables
1900 cables Take way More Power then a Quantum bridge

Gesendet von meinem D6603 mit Tapatalk

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
1900... jeezz! A Quantum tunnel would have been way way cheaper. Also as others have said cables also have their inherent power cost.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
The cables take power? I thought they didn't. The Network Tool doesn't show a power use for fluix cables. Or didn't. Or I am confused.
--
I did have an amusing power related glitch in AE2 on a Direwolf20 pack based server this weekend.
A part of AE network is separated into two segments via a p2p bridge. There is an IC2 side - that is powered with EU, and it typically draws ~15EU/t.
And a RF side, powered by a big reactor feeding RF into an energy acceptor. They can be turned on and off independently.
After messing around with the network I realized that I could not access my storage - hosted on the RF side - because the big reactor was off.
So I turned the big reactor on, and the IC2 side of the network promptly turned off.

Using the network tool (and turning it on and off a few times) I saw that the power draw of the combined network was 60EU/t - more than my 20EU/t batbox could provide.

So, somehow the power calculations for the network were leaking across the p2p bridge, and powering the RF sub network increased the EU draw on the EU side.

Last edited:

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
You are probably right but data IRL does have its power cost the further you transmit the more you need.
Chances are the cables taking power was a classic AE thing not in AE2, because they used to add to the overall power cost. I guess due to channels maybe this isn't a thing in AE2.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Unit88

Jul 29, 2019
Cables themselves don't use power, the devices require more power when the data has to travel longer. I can't remember perfectly, but I think I saw the AE2 dev explaining it somewhere.

EDIT:
Found it: http://ae-mod.info/Channels/
I was talking about the fourth paragraph