Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
I can't actually make the strength meter stay on after reloading the game, so anyone interested in trying this snapshot might want to double-check the options to enable it, otherwise you'll be like me and just see your sword spazzing out and have no idea what's going on.

Not sure what I think of it yet. It might improve combat, but so far I'm somewhat indifferent. Right now it just bothers me that all tools are almost completely off the screen while you use them now as a result of the cooldown animations.

Reactions: RedBoss

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Ooooo! Zombies raise their arms. OMG, amazing.
Considering a lot of players love mods like Zombie Awareness and others that add swarms, this new combat system is going to hurt, a lot. Although, could make the knockback enchant a bit more popular.

Excuse me while I stick with my modded 1.7.10

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know, modders in the past have worked wonders with changes that seemed trival in Vanilla. Maybe this "combat" update will allow a clever modder to produce a clever mechanic to enhance the game. That couldn't be done reliably in 1.7.10.

While I don't suggest we rush to upgrading as we haven't had a more stable version since 1.4 (or was it 1.3?).
I surely hope modders are at least trying to figure 1.8 and 1.9's guts out and measuring potential amd not just dismissing everything and staying in a box marked 1.7.10.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
I don't know, modders in the past have worked wonders with changes that seemed trival in Vanilla. Maybe this "combat" update will allow a clever modder to produce a clever mechanic to enhance the game. That couldn't be done reliably in 1.7.10.

While I don't suggest we rush to upgrading as we haven't had a more stable version since 1.4 (or was it 1.3?).
I surely hope modders are at least trying to figure 1.8 and 1.9's guts out and measuring potential amd not just dismissing everything and staying in a box marked 1.7.10.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I agree. While I'm staying in 1.7.10 for the foreseeable future, I'm still keeping an eye on 1.9 and hope that modders will begin to at least try to update to 1.8 soon. Supposedly updating to 1.9 after 1.8 will be easy because of relatively few internal changes (compared to 1.8).

Reactions: dragon_fang101

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
I agree. While I'm staying in 1.7.10 for the foreseeable future, I'm still keeping an eye on 1.9 and hope that modders will begin to at least try to update to 1.8 soon. Supposedly updating to 1.9 after 1.8 will be easy because of relatively few internal changes (compared to 1.8).

That's the thing though. For the countless modders who refused to update to 1.8 for one reason or another to begin with, nothing's really changed significantly. 1.9 has the same mechanism in place for direct block rendering, which Mojang still takes advantage of with fluids just like 1.8, and that Forge likely still won't allow modders to use, so it'll be the same song and dance of modders all piling hooks into the same spots (who can blame them). World render hooks likely won't go back either. EnumFacing still doesn't have an 'unknown' direction, which was a sticking point for some modders like TeamCoFH. Meanwhile, anyone who used Forge's custom model format changes might have to redo their models for the 1.9 changes unless they merge it all together in workable way. Hell, even 1.8 items in the vanilla model format are currently all going to need changes made to their models unless Mojang fixes scaling issues between 1.8's builtin/generated base model and the new items/generated that all 1.9 items use, which will make it a bitch to maintain two versions.

I mean there's still a lot of changes under the hood, several of which I've mentioned over in this thread. But unless the new content and vanilla changes to models is enough to pull modders over, then 1.7.10 might be here for even longer. And it's a shame, since 1.8 and 1.9 aren't inherently bad, it's just that the former has never been allowed to live up to its potential due to unnecessary restrictions imposed by the API. I don't know why that would be any different moving forward.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I mean there's still a lot of changes under the hood, several of which I've mentioned over in this thread. But unless the new content and vanilla changes to models is enough to pull modders over, then 1.7.10 might be here for even longer. And it's a shame, since 1.8 and 1.9 aren't inherently bad, it's just that the former has never been allowed to live up to its potential due to unnecessary restrictions imposed by the API. I don't know why that would be any different moving forward.
Exactly this, if a good API for rendering that allowed custom rendering gets merged into Forge then 1.8 & 1.9 will happen. Until then, I don't think so

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Exactly this, if a good API for rendering that allowed custom rendering gets merged into Forge then 1.8 & 1.9 will happen. Until then, I don't think so
Out of curiosity, would an independent jar mod for use with Forge that re-adds the 1.7-style rendering hooks to 1.8 and 1.9 simplify updating from 1.7.10 enough that modders would actually be willing to do so?

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
Out of curiosity, would an independent jar mod for use with Forge that re-adds the 1.7-style rendering hooks to 1.8 and 1.9 simplify updating from 1.7.10 enough that modders would actually be willing to do so?

I'm not sure this would be possible. There were a lot of internal rewrites in 1.8, and lexmanos said that he got rid of 1.7 model rendering for a reason, say it was needlessly complicated? Can't remember where I read that though, I might be wrong. Supposedly it would updating to future versions less of a headache too.

Honestly, once something like Thermal Expansion or Thaumcraft makes the transition, the rest will likely follow quickly.

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019

There's more than one library out there already that can do it. The code has been submitted to Forge as well but was rejected.

I'm not sure this would be possible. There were a lot of internal rewrites in 1.8, and lexmanos said that he got rid of 1.7 model rendering for a reason, say it was needlessly complicated? Can't remember where I read that though, I might be wrong. Supposedly it would updating to future versions less of a headache too.

There's no technical reason why Forge couldn't include the render hook. Mojang did remove block rendering code, but custom renderer functionality remained, and would have been incredibly useful for a variety of reasons (supporting other model formats being just one). I've taken advantage of it myself in various ways.

At the end of the day the decision to go all models was based on a lack of understanding of 1.8's capabilities and functionality, perpetuated by pure stubbornness to change that position when it proved to be a mistake. And to be honest, I still don't think they fully understand all of it, an opinion reinforced through my own conversations with them about it.

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
Then what's stopping us from choosing one and going ahead? (Nevermind the other various smaller issues.)

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk 2

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
Then what's stopping us from choosing one and going ahead? (Nevermind the other various smaller issues.)

Probably a combination of people not wanting to depend on other mods, and/or feeling that if Forge isn't going to do what they want then they won't run a band-aided version.

Reactions: Strikingwolf