Windows 10 and FTB?

• Tech Support section is for getting help with FTB related problems. If there's a repeatable issue that can be labeled as a bug, then please use the issue tracker for the pack or the app at GitHub issue trackers - If there's no repository for a pack that means that the pack is old and/or will not be updated. Bugs for older packs will not be fixed, unless they are critical.

JayB1u

Jul 29, 2019
Title:
Windows 10 and FTB?
Launcher Version:
Modpack:
All of Them
Modpack Version:
N/A
Log Link:
Details of the issue:
I recently bought a new laptop that is an upgrade from my old one. The new laptop is running Windows 10, has an Intel i7 Processor, and has 8 GB of RAM (4GB x 2 running in dual channel mode) I used to play FTB all the time on my old laptop but I could not run the newer packs because they were too intense for my PC. I was looking forward to the upgraded laptop but it cant run ANY of the FTB packs. All of the packs will load up to the loading screen, but the menu is almost unresponsive. It takes a solid 30 seconds for the button that I mouse over to highlight, and another 30 seconds for it to actually click. I have tried creating a lighter, custom modpack to see if it was just the number of mods installed, but once I get around 30 mods installed the issue arises again. I have tried different amounts of RAM allocations and none have solved my issue. I have also updated my graphics driver and the issue still exists. I've had this issue for a while and I have looked all over the web and still haven't found a solution. Is it something with Windows 10? Am I missing a driver somehow? Or am I just being blind and not seeing the obvious solution? Thanks for any and all help! I would love to get back to playing FTB!

-Sorry for the long post. (Imaginary potato)

HangingLotus

Jul 29, 2019
Have you tried the curse voice launcher? currently running windows 10 here and have no problems with curse voice loading packs.

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019
So wait 30 seconds for the menu to become responsive? It's more like 10 seconds and then clicking is instant, and i've got 187 mods installed.

I'm on Windows 10 and this happened on Win8 for me too. It's the custom FTB menu. I fail to see the problem, it's 10-30 seconds on top of the 10 minutes it takes to launch the game (with texture packs).

JayB1u

Jul 29, 2019
I managed to solve my problem. Turns out that the driver .zip file I was using to update through device manager was broken somehow. So I went and downloaded the latest .exe driver file and extracted the files from that so I could manually install it myself. Now FTB runs perfectly. Thanks to everyone for your time!

UniZero

Popular Member
Oct 3, 2012
Scotland, UK
I managed to solve my problem. Turns out that the driver .zip file I was using to update through device manager was broken somehow. So I went and downloaded the latest .exe driver file and extracted the files from that so I could manually install it myself. Now FTB runs perfectly. Thanks to everyone for your time!

That is why you never update drivers through device manager. Always always always go to the manfacturer website for any driver related updates.

JayB1u

Jul 29, 2019
That is why you never update drivers through device manager. Always always always go to the manfacturer website for any driver related updates.
Well, if I wanted to play FTB then I had to update it through device manager. The intel update utility found no update for the driver but there was a newer version out there. The .exe (that I got from the manufacturer's website) didn't even install it correctly to make my game functional. I had to extract the files out of the .exe and use device manager to install it correctly. So in this case the only way for me to fix my problem was using device manager and it's a good thing I knew what I was doing so I was able to find the outdated driver and update it, since windows updates thinks the older driver is the latest one out there.
'

UniZero

Popular Member
Oct 3, 2012
Scotland, UK
Well, if I wanted to play FTB then I had to update it through device manager. The intel update utility found no update for the driver but there was a newer version out there. The .exe (that I got from the manufacturer's website) didn't even install it correctly to make my game functional. I had to extract the files out of the .exe and use device manager to install it correctly. So in this case the only way for me to fix my problem was using device manager and it's a good thing I knew what I was doing so I was able to find the outdated driver and update it, since windows updates thinks the older driver is the latest one out there.
'

That could be because in intel is not going to be updating your video card software for windows 10. In my experience using device manager for updating does not work all that well. In your case it did work this time but as a rule you should go to the manufacturers website for updates.