Picking up IC2 items?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Setari

Jul 29, 2019
I think it's IC2. Anyway I HAD an induction furnace, and on 2 wikis it says it uses the bronze wrench. So I broke my furnace with the bronze wrench, and whaddaya know it's gone. :[ So how do I go about picking up IC2 machines such as the macerator and the like?

silenos

Jul 29, 2019
A bronze wrench still has a chance to break the machine, only an electric wrench on lossless mode guarantees that the machine won't break.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
An OmniWrench works like a loseless electric wrench. Just build 1, along with sonic screwdriver. You will never need another set of tools again.
QFT, Omniwrench doesn't need recharging, doesn't break, but most of all, it doesn't break your frikin machines. I still think it's the silliest idea under the sun.

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
QFT, Omniwrench doesn't need recharging, doesn't break, but most of all, it doesn't break your frikin machines. I still think it's the silliest idea under the sun.

What idea? The idea of the OmniWrench? Or the idea that stuff can break even if you use the right tool?

Personally I think it's the OmniWrench is a great idea. Things breaking even if picked up with the right tool is just a stupid mechanic if you ask me. I mean we can pick up wood by punching it and then a machine can break even if we use a specific tool? Also, if you place a machine in the wrong spot by accident you can lose your very first macerator/generator/etc just because you got unlucky with your first wrench and it doesn't make sense that an electric tool would be more "gentile" than a tool used by hand (if anything it should be the opposite).

I consider this one of those IC2 mechanics that's 100% arbitrary, has absolutely 0 use and serves only to annoy and hinder the player. If it's supposed to somehow balance things I think there are about 100 different mechanics you could come up with that would do the job 100x better. For example, have both wrenches be "lossless", but have the regular wrench break after 10 uses and the electric a charge for 10 uses. That way the regular wrench is too expensive in the long run and it's worthwhile to upgrade it to the electric wrench, without the random mechanic where people wonder "wtf, why did my machine break?! I used the right tool?!".

Then again, there are a lot of IC2 mechanics I dislike a lot. Mostly because 99% of those could be solved by tweaking some numbers, instead of implementing an arbitrary and confusing mechanic. Mechanics that new players have to search the wiki for, to understand what just happened in their game or why something isn't working as expected just are signs of bad game design.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
So, I'm not the only one...
Of course not :)

"Hi, I'm Steve and I just build meself this machine 'ere from some twigs and twines(also some iron) for makin' mah mashed eggs in the morn', but then I realized it would look much better on that wall ova there, so Imma move it now, Let me just unscrew this big bolt first" *Explosion* "Hot daymn! Who woudda though you can make a bolt explode by unscrewing it? Oh wait, wait, wait, wait....I see... DAMN YOU NINJA CREEPERS.

It's the only explanation. The electric wrench unscrews the ninja creepers disguised as a bolt heads so fast that it kill it before it explodes.

But yeah, it's completely arbitrary and I can't come up with a single logical reason to support said mechanic. Maybe it got in place to discourage players from moving large arrays of solars? That's silly. Maybe it was meant to incite players to invest into lappacks and stuff? There was no need for that in the first place... It's just... weird.

Reactions: whythisname

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
I hope the IC2 devs take the hint and see that there really is no point in these tools losing durability and them sometimes not removing the block properly.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
I hope the IC2 devs take the hint and see that there really is no point in these tools losing durability and them sometimes not removing the block properly.
I don't feel like checking the ic^2 forums, but I can almost assure you that this kinda talk springs up in there every so often, and is frowned upon. I bet you five dollars, that it has already been decided that it's staying in no matter what.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Well in my opinion that whole IC2 forum is a big steaming pile of horsemanure. I mean, if you ask for a release date you get banned, what the F? I don't like how being the author of a popular mod turns some people into arrogant asses.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Well in my opinion that whole IC2 forum is a big steaming pile of horsemanure. I mean, if you ask for a release date you get banned, what the F? I don't like how being the author of a popular mod turns some people into arrogant asses.
Weeeeell, update nagging is something such authors have to deal with very often, tens of such threads tend to spring up over mod forums after a vanilla update. You just get fed up with it after a while, and well, looking at a post from a person who didn't bother to check 10 other very similar posts in the same forum on the same page kinda makes you believe that he's the arrogant ass.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Weeeeell, update nagging is something such authors have to deal with very often, tens of such threads tend to spring up over mod forums after a vanilla update. You just get fed up with it after a while, and well, looking at a post from a person who didn't bother to check 10 other very similar posts in the same forum on the same page kinda makes you believe that he's the arrogant ass.

If you're a professional software dev you have to deal with people asking for status updates every day. If they would just give an estimate on the forums they would not have these questions. It's a bit like with the issue with RP2: if you just give people the information they need (even if that info is "we don't know, we'll know more in 2 weeks) they will stop asking. Same with the ultimate pack: people keep asking because they're not getting any answers.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
If you're a professional software dev you have to deal with people asking for status updates every day. If they would just give an estimate on the forums they would not have these questions. It's a bit like with the issue with RP2: if you just give people the information they need (even if that info is "we don't know, we'll know more in 2 weeks) they will stop asking. Same with the ultimate pack: people keep asking because they're not getting any answers.
That is true of course, and you're right. In case you want an insight into the modders mind on why they're not doing that its because they feel that deadlines make their hobby work and kills the drive. It's also a double edged sword, cause if they don't meet the deadline, then the internet is going to descend upon them in a pissed of red swarm. But I digress, I'd like the info easily available as well :).

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
A modder makes his life easier if he communicated too. If you're honest and say "I won't have time to work on this for the next month" that's still better than nothing at all. And I don't understand why people are affected by idiots who are rude to them. If I make a mod and then tell people I won't have time to work on it and they get rude they can go F themselves. I don't care :)

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Somehow it makes sense- you have a delicate piece of equipment, smashing with a pick is probably a bad idea.
likewire if you go for a quick fix, it might go wrong- you should do it properly and take your time.​

The omniwrench is a good idea, but it overrrides that IC2 mechanic, and doesn't loose durability.
One or the other would be preferred, otherwise it starts to feel like a pickaxe that wont break/need charging​

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Somehow it makes sense- you have a delicate piece of equipment

There is nothing delicate about HV transformers, batteries or generators. And even delicate stuff (like electronics) doesn't just 'break' like that with a 10% chance.

Secondly; there's the fun aspect. Game mechanics should not come in the way of fun. Ofcourse fun is rather personal and there will probably be people here that claim that this breaking mechanic is 'fun', but I bet my ass that most people actually find it rather annoying.

Reactions: Setari

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
There was a mod for IC2 which removed the loss chance from normal wrenches. Hasn't been updated in ages.
The losing stuff when you try to pick it up was implemented as a way to try and make people not move stuff around constantly. Meant to make players make a base.
It's also horrible. No one cares about the idea of staying in one place until you HAVE to move, because people care about aesthetics, and will want things to look nice. What if one accidentally placed a machine? Well, looks like you're building a base here, then, says the IC2 Devs.
Hell, they only added the Electric Wrench's lossless mod because people kept complaining about losing items from a stupid mechanic, items which might cost more then a nuclear reactor with six chambers, fully stocked with insanely expensive parts. So they added the ability to spend more EU to safely dismantle your workshops.
Thank Gog KingLemming made Omnitools. Now if only he could finish the combat upgrade for my wrench...

Setari

Jul 29, 2019
There is nothing delicate about HV transformers, batteries or generators. And even delicate stuff (like electronics) doesn't just 'break' like that with a 10% chance.

Secondly; there's the fun aspect. Game mechanics should not come in the way of fun. Ofcourse fun is rather personal and there will probably be people here that claim that this breaking mechanic is 'fun', but I bet my ass that most people actually find it rather annoying.

+1 to the annoying.

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
I don't like the mechanic at all. But I understand that it is for balance. If you want to spend diamonds on your OmniWrench, then you should get some sort of upgrade. It simply gives an extra incentive to make that item.