Help me setup server for 2 users at home

• Tech Support section is for getting help with FTB related problems. If there's a repeatable issue that can be labeled as a bug, then please use the issue tracker for the pack or the app at GitHub issue trackers - If there's no repository for a pack that means that the pack is old and/or will not be updated. Bugs for older packs will not be fixed, unless they are critical.

Andy Jorgensen

Jul 29, 2019
Title:
Help me setup server for 2 users at home
Launcher Version:
None
Modpack:
Infinity
Modpack Version:
Log Link:
Details of the issue:
I have a dell vostro 400 pc that I wasnt using and now I only want to use it to host a minecraft sever I have windows 7 on it now fresh installed and it is very laggy and kicks us out. Is there any light versions of any type of OS that I can install to make it run better I am open to any options linux etc

specs
intel core duo E6550 2.33 ghz
3gb ram
windows 7 pro 64bit Can change to whatever

idjmleader

Jul 29, 2019
Well windwows 7 uses 2GB of ram itself so that would leave the server with only 1GB do you have a extra stick of ram?

Andy Jorgensen

Jul 29, 2019
After lots of trial and error (I am not that great with linux) I got MineOS up and running it is a lot less demanding on ram I dont have any I would need to buy some if I have to I may go that route I will see how MineOS goes without it

idjmleader

Jul 29, 2019
After lots of trial and error (I am not that great with linux) I got MineOS up and running it is a lot less demanding on ram I dont have any I would need to buy some if I have to I may go that route I will see how MineOS goes without it
Well you can get 8GB of ram for like $50.00 USD on amazon man good deal :)

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
It seems I am a bit late to the party but my preferred OS for a minecraft server is Debian, make sure you install it without a gui and other stuff you won't need and it will run great.

Some programs that you will defiantly need if you go this way:
screens this will allow you to keep the server running without connected to it with ssh

openssh-server and an ssh client, this will allow you to connect from it remotely and transfer files, to connect and give commands I use putty to transfer files I use winscp

java this is of course for obvious reasons, jave openjdk-7 comes pre-installed and I have yet to see it causing problems make sure it is 64 bit though.

I have never used mineOS so I can't compare it.