IC2 miner and ender chest

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Dreossk

Jul 29, 2019
Hello,

I have this setup for my miner:

minerender1.jpg

minerender2.jpg

IC2 miner with a pump, powered by 3 advanced solar panels. The miner puts stuff in the ender chest and the pump in the normal chest.

I my base I have a timer that transfers stuff from the ender chest to a gold chest.

I have three question:

1) Is this an optimal setting? Do you have improvements suggestions?

2) When I open my ender chest, I see a green thingy that looks like the chunk loader, does that mean the ender chest acts as a chunk loader or should I put a chunk loader with the miner and at my base?

3) Basic stuff here: can I empty lava and water cells? I get several of them and it seems like wasted tin to me if I have to put 40 of them each time.

Thanks!

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
1) Use a filter instead of a transposer to move entire stacks. Furthermore, put several chests on the receive side (connected by a tube) so you don't fill up.

2) Ender chests are _not_ chunk loaders

3) Liquid Transposers can empty cells and return both the contents and the sell. Squeezers can give you the contents and a 5% chance a tin ingot. Otherwise, you have to use the cell in a machine to get the cell back. Several machines use water cells.

noskk

Jul 29, 2019
If you don't need the lava; do you have GT installed? if you do, just centrifuge 16 lava cells to get your tin back+ more tin from the process.

Dark0_0firE

Jul 29, 2019
I might also advise putting a hopper/relay on top of the miner so you could hold more mining pipe. I personally use a GT thermal generator with my miner setup. It helps that any lava that gets pumped up I can put right into fueling more mining.

Dreossk

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks guys, I changed the transposer for a filter and I'm using an industrial centrifuge to get some resources back from the cells. I'll also add a hopper and a chunk loader to the miner.

Dark0_0firE

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks guys, I changed the transposer for a filter and I'm using an industrial centrifuge to get some resources back from the cells. I'll also add a hopper and a chunk loader to the miner.

You shouldn't get "some" resources back from centrifuged cells... you should get all the resources you put in and more. :)

Dreossk

Jul 29, 2019
From 16 cells (16 tin), I got 10 tin, 4 copper, 1 electrum and 1 tiny tungsten dust so that's not all the tin used for it but yeah, I got other resources as well so I'm fine with that.

Dafuq?

Jul 29, 2019
You should also put something in or take something out of one of your enderchest (no matter which colorcode) manually before saving, to avoid item loss, see this thread.

Dreossk

Jul 29, 2019
I saw that but doesn't the problem occurs if I put something in an ender chest and leave it there? With my setup everything is pulled away from the ender chest in my base and put in a gold chest.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
In your base, do something like this (obviously rotate to adapt to your setup):

W1o4O6Z.png

Gate is set to Inventory empty --> redstone signal. That way the timer won't be ticking when there's nothing to move.

Dark0_0firE

Jul 29, 2019
In your base, do something like this (obviously rotate to adapt to your setup):

W1o4O6Z.png

Gate is set to Inventory empty --> redstone signal. That way the timer won't be ticking when there's nothing to move.

Hrm.. I never would have thought of that Abdiel, nice. I've become very hesitant to use timers just so I can avoid lag as much as I can.

Dreossk

Jul 29, 2019
Gate checking for inventory each 0.5s is better than a rotating timer? Also, what gate is that exactly, I never made one because it's BC.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
This gate only need one piece of redstone in the assembly table (and some power, of course).

The gate checking is better, because it's only a check, when the timer is calculation+special render+light updates on "tick".

Dreossk

Jul 29, 2019
I did that, thanks! Now I could hook up a computer and if it doesn't get a redstone signal for a couple if minutes it will pulse on a note block so I know when the miner is done!

Someone knows the answer for my question about the ender chest bug above?

Squigie

Jul 29, 2019
From 16 cells (16 tin), I got 10 tin, 4 copper, 1 electrum and 1 tiny tungsten dust so that's not all the tin used for it but yeah, I got other resources as well so I'm fine with that.
16 cells are 8 tin with default GT, or 4 with IC2.

Dreossk

Jul 29, 2019
4 tin makes 4 cells in IC2 so that's why I say it takes 16 tins to make 16 cells.

I added that computer I was talking about and now when no item came for 5 minutes it sends a signal and I know the miner is done. Great!

minerender3.jpg

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
That's pretty cool. :)

My cardinal rule in designing machinery setups is that everything has to wind down to a complete stop once there is nothing to process, or once an output chest fills up with resources. This means no producing excess items only to get voided because of overflow, no timers or other logic ticking unless needed, no energy consumed over time. If I can't accomplish that, the setup is not good enough. And BC gates can help quite a bit with this.

In fact, my sorting system has a bunch of these filters on 0.05 second timers controlled by gates. Therefore sorting is lightning fast, but doesn't put any load on the game when it's not actually sorting.

Dafuq?

Jul 29, 2019
Someone knows the answer for my question about the ender chest bug above?

Sorry I somehow missed your question (and the line in your OP where you said you pump your stuff into a golden chest...). Yeah you're right, as long as you always pump everything out as soon as it comes in, there shouldn't be a problem.

Squigie

Jul 29, 2019
4 tin makes 4 cells in IC2 so that's why I say it takes 16 tins to make 16 cells.
Just checked with Direwolf20 pack, fresh install. Cell recipe is 4 tin for 16 cells. GregTech halves the output by default (hard mode). If neither of those values are true for you than something has been changed.