Really stupid things that people have said about Modded MC(Off topicness makes moderators tired)

Is this a good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 66 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 18 5.0%
  • if people don't get out of control

Votes: 68 18.8%
  • POTATOES

Votes: 210 58.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Glib sarcasm is my natural response to breathtaking ignorance. Granted, I will tell them, in no uncertain terms, exactly where and in what way they're being ignorant, but that's just how I've learned to deal with the stupid. Yes, I also expect, nay demand, that people do the same to me if I ever get to that level of failure. Do not pull your punches, because I will not pull mine.

Also, "toxic?" Ho, please, this is nowhere near it. This is like a Sunday morning cartoon compared to some of the truly toxic crap I've seen.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
To be honest- you can rarely fix stupid. When it gets to a certain level you just can't; the best you can do is prevent stupid/ignorance from spreading as letting it fester and grow will cause far more toxicity further down the line.
However I agree that this thread is not the place for that purpose, and this does go too far sometimes. I can't say it officially, but a Be Nice would be nice all the same.​

SadGhoster87

Jul 29, 2019
"f*** all mine******kid"
When asked why, he responded:
"fanboys of minecrap are mentally retarded"

I wish at that point I'd said "Well one of them is a LITERAL ROCKET SCIENTIST."

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1SDAN

Darkhax

Jul 29, 2019
Like the others have mentioned, I think this thread has gotten out of hand. As much as I have found many of these posts amusing, they have been unjustified. While the ignorance of some people can serve as a fun conversation piece, it is not right for us to actively shame people who have made mistakes. While some mistakes are unforgivable (like the modified FPS image from one of Reika's issue tracker), publicly humiliating these people is not the solution. This is not who we are.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Hey now, not all of us rip a new digestive tract into the people. I know I'm usually (I'd say always, but I do avoid absolutes for a reason) making fun of the stupidity, not the person possessing it. I even offer myself up as an example occasionally, because I know I make some monumentally idiotic decisions sometimes, I am human after all. If you can't make fun of yourself, and all that.

Reactions: duckfan77

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Like the others have mentioned, I think this thread has gotten out of hand. As much as I have found many of these posts amusing, they have been unjustified. While the ignorance of some people can serve as a fun conversation piece, it is not right for us to actively shame people who have made mistakes. While some mistakes are unforgivable (like the modified FPS image from one of Reika's issue tracker), publicly humiliating these people is not the solution. This is not who we are.

Are...are you even paying attention to what's posted here? I'd wager that 8 times out of 10, what's posted isn't just simple mistakes. It might not be outright malevolence, but the kinds of people presented here are not the kinds who will learn anything whether our actions are kind or not. Most of what I've seen here are like people who bang two rocks together then blame their roommate, who gave them the rocks, when they break. If they refuse to learn, if they prove themselves immune to the very concept of shame (and, let's be honest here, we all feel at least a little shame when we screw up), then posting about them where others can be amused at their blatant, painful ignorance is the best purpose their posts could possibly serve.

Let me give you an example: FSTDT (Fundies Say The Darndest Things) is a site which aggregates publicly-accessible quote from various sites, quotes whose content is either fundamentalist, racist, or conspiracy theorist in nature. Most of these people, like Ray "Banana Man" Comfort, are immune to shame. If they weren't, they'd realize what they're saying is stupid and correct said ignorance. The purpose for which they are originally posted is to preach to the choir, as it were; an action that perpetuates ideals that are, generally speaking, harmful to society. By laughing at them, we defang them. By laughing at them, we show others that what they're saying is complete bunk. Using their quotes as a source of entertainment is also a public service. In the end, we help more than we harm.

Darkhax

Jul 29, 2019
Are...are you even paying attention to what's posted here? I'd wager that 8 times out of 10, what's posted isn't just simple mistakes. It might not be outright malevolence, but the kinds of people presented here are not the kinds who will learn anything whether our actions are kind or not. Most of what I've seen here are like people who bang two rocks together then blame their roommate, who gave them the rocks, when they break. If they refuse to learn, if they prove themselves immune to the very concept of shame (and, let's be honest here, we all feel at least a little shame when we screw up), then posting about them where others can be amused at their blatant, painful ignorance is the best purpose their posts could possibly serve.

Let me give you an example: FSTDT (Fundies Say The Darndest Things) is a site which aggregates publicly-accessible quote from various sites, quotes whose content is either fundamentalist, racist, or conspiracy theorist in nature. Most of these people, like Ray "Banana Man" Comfort, are immune to shame. If they weren't, they'd realize what they're saying is stupid and correct said ignorance. The purpose for which they are originally posted is to preach to the choir, as it were; an action that perpetuates ideals that are, generally speaking, harmful to society. By laughing at them, we defang them. By laughing at them, we show others that what they're saying is complete bunk. Using their quotes as a source of entertainment is also a public service. In the end, we help more than we harm.
Yes, the type of people posted about on this thread can be devious, ignorant and/or outright moronic, however that is not justification for us to publicly shame them (regardless of if they feel shame or not). While I fully agree that channeling such posts into entertainment can be beneficial, some users have taken things too far. I feel you may have misunderstood my comment about their actions being mistakes. Almost every source post referenced here was a mistake, in that it is wrong or misguided. If it was not, then it likely would not qualify as something stupid said about modded minecraft. Labeling these posts as mistakes does not justify them. I am familiar with FSTDT and I understand the appeal, however I don't feel that we should promote this type of behavior in the minecraft community.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Yes, the type of people posted about on this thread can be devious, ignorant and/or outright moronic, however that is not justification for us to publicly shame them (regardless of if they feel shame or not). While I fully agree that channeling such posts into entertainment can be beneficial, some users have taken things too far. I feel you may have misunderstood my comment about their actions being mistakes. Almost every source post referenced here was a mistake, in that it is wrong or misguided. If it was not, then it likely would not qualify as something stupid said about modded minecraft. Labeling these posts as mistakes does not justify them. I am familiar with FSTDT and I understand the appeal, however I don't feel that we should promote this type of behavior in the minecraft community.
If someone sets it up such that you cannot criticize their actions or statements without criticizing them as well, that is their own doing.

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019
If any of my posts are considered offensive, please let me know. I am always trying to improve, and learn from my mistakes.

Reactions: Padfoote

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019

It is my belief that this behaviour will exist no matter what you do. Going with the flow is significantly easier on both you and the community than resisting it. To resist, you'd likely need a set of forum rules explicitly outlining threads like this as a Bad Thing (TM). That would, quite plainly, piss people like me off. Why? Because it comes across as more Carebear pandering to the lowest common intellectual denominator. Besides, if these people even find out, then what's to stop them from registering here and defending themselves? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Let them come, let them defend themselves if they so wish. Creating a forced sense of civility only leads to bitterness and passive-aggressive pussyfooting around actual issues instead of actually dealing with them. I dunno about you, but I'd much rather people be out with what they think then try to beat around the bush with misplaced subtlety. Doesn't help that I, personally, find "subtlety" in conversation to be irritating at the best of times. Say what you mean. If you don't like me, damn well say it. Don't treat me like a child and try to spare my feelings.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Besides, if these people even find out, then what's to stop them from registering here and defending themselves? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Let them come, let them defend themselves if they so wish. Creating a forced sense of civility only leads to bitterness and passive-aggressive pussyfooting around actual issues instead of actually dealing with them. I dunno about you, but I'd much rather people be out with what they think then try to beat around the bush with misplaced subtlety.
Well in most cases they don't know that they're being shown off here. Talking bad behind someone's back is bad.

@Reika, I wonder if you go ahead and remove people from your wall of shame if they ask you to?

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
Also, "toxic?" Ho, please, this is nowhere near it. This is like a Sunday morning cartoon compared to some of the truly toxic crap I've seen.

And cigarettes are better for you than heroin... Still has no place here.

"f*** all mine******kid"

Seriously? Even reported no one has done anything about someone using the word "faggot"... Are there any mods at all?

Last edited by a moderator:

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
So the title says that off topicness makes moderators unhappy, but anything at isn't bashing something "stupid" that someone says is technically off topic. I'm pretty sure its sad whether things are on topic or off. Also new moderator(s) are in training, I think...

Reactions: Padfoote

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Well in most cases they don't know that they're being shown off here. Talking bad behind someone's back is bad.

Its going to be done whether we like it or not, that's the crux of my entire argument. If they don't do it in this thread, they'll spread it across others. Make a rule against it, and you'll have people sharing it via group PMs. At least, if its out in the public and easily consolidated like it is here, people at least have a chance to come here and defend themselves, something that is made more difficult (or outright impossible, in the case of PM groups) were it using one of the other two tactics.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
@Reika, I wonder if you go ahead and remove people from your wall of shame if they ask you to?
Remember, the new wall is about posts, not people, so unless someone either spends a great deal of time searching or someone admits to being an author of one, there is no link between the two.

That said, if the original poster came to me? If someone "recants" a really undefensible position, I do make a visible note of it - like I did on my modifications page for Ryahn retracting his statements about RotaryCraft crashing with Minetweaker - but I do not want to remove an entry from the wall entirely, because it is still a thing (even if in different words) people say and needs to be addressed.

That said, if I had an alternative screenshot/quote, I could replace theirs with that.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
As long as I am not the one who has to formulate a point-by-point reply, I like reading them. :D
*whistles innocently* Not buying it are ya? Not my favorite posts to write, I hate feeling compelled to write multiple thousand word posts. Honestly do.

Its going to be done whether we like it or not, that's the crux of my entire argument. If they don't do it in this thread, they'll spread it across others. Make a rule against it, and you'll have people sharing it via group PMs. At least, if its out in the public and easily consolidated like it is here, people at least have a chance to come here and defend themselves, something that is made more difficult (or outright impossible, in the case of PM groups) were it using one of the other two tactics.
This is precisely why there is a thread for it. Containment. It's a place where the community can come together (or avoid the topic entirely) and it can be easily policed, both by us and by mods. It serves a purpose, and even if you personally find it distasteful, that much has to be noted.

Status
Not open for further replies.