[FTB Infinity] Break the Nether Ceiling Bedrock?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Daniel_USA

Jul 29, 2019
I ender pearled over the Nether ceiling and found some areas that generated with holes (due to biomes o' plenty). I want to build on the ceiling but want a bigger hole to make an entrance.

Any one know of a way to break the ceiling bedrock?

APproject

Jul 29, 2019
I guess the question is really "are you playing legit?"

I would just be easy to punch a few holes if you had access to that.

The bedrock breaker would be a challenging, yet rewarding approach. It would also be timely, especially if you don't have the RoC mod.

You could also grow dark oak trees. There is a method of removing bedrock along those lines. But I'm not sure just how easy that method is to control.

Daniel_USA

Jul 29, 2019
I'm pretty far in Thaumcraft so what item could do that?

I suppose I could try to grow random trees and see what happens but I don't know the proper method.

Should I plant the saplings below the bedrock and hope it replaces the bedrock with leaves? Because that is what is happening naturally with Hellbark trees with the Ceiling BTW.

I don't have Rotary craft nor plan on adding it to my mudpack.

I want to play as "vanilla" or "minecrafty mod mechanic exploity" as possible.

There are dark oak saplings but don't know if dark oaks were added in 1.7.10 or they are generated by a mod (not the vanilla kind). So I don't know if they have the same growth mechanics or if they are just textured the same as the vanilla dark oak saplings.

ShadowHawk707

Nov 20, 2014
I'm pretty far in Thaumcraft so what item could do that?

I suppose I could try to grow random trees and see what happens but I don't know the proper method.

Should I plant the saplings below the bedrock and hope it replaces the bedrock with leaves? Because that is what is happening naturally with Hellbark trees with the Ceiling BTW.

I don't have Rotary craft nor plan on adding it to my mudpack.

I want to play as "vanilla" or "minecrafty mod mechanic exploity" as possible.

There are dark oak saplings but don't know if dark oaks were added in 1.7.10 or they are generated by a mod (not the vanilla kind). So I don't know if they have the same growth mechanics or if they are just textured the same as the vanilla dark oak saplings.
Dark Oaks where added in 1.7.10, and I think the bug was patched in 1.8

But in 1.7.10 it should work
Here is a video demonstrating it:

Daniel_USA

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not watching that video because that guys hair is colored...

Soo yeah..

BUT!!!

If you want a guaranteed way to break bedrock you can grow Hellbark. Place sapling directly under the ceiling and bonemeal.

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
Combined Ichorium pickaxe thing breaks bedrock. And if you break bedrock in the overworld you make a portal to a bedrock age which is 250 high and each chunk is full of a different ore. An ender quarry just skips anything it can't mine, just saying....

Easiest way is the ender pearl on a corner trick tho.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Rotarycraft is the most reliable way to do it.

Failing that, there's a little-known bug left over in vanilla MC that lets you do it.

You need a wooden pick (although I hear you can do it with your bare hands too, never confirmed that bit though) and a lot of patience. You need to set yourself up DIRECTLY below the block, not move at all and attack the underside constantly for a set number of swings.

This causes a stack overflow in java and temporarily causes the block's hardness value to wrap around negative. It's only momentary but it's long enough for another swing of your pick to break the block.

I can't quite recall the exact number of activations you need but it takes between 45 minutes and an hour iirc.

Daniel_USA

Jul 29, 2019
Combined Ichorium pickaxe thing breaks bedrock. And if you break bedrock in the overworld you make a portal to a bedrock age which is 250 high and each chunk is full of a different ore. An ender quarry just skips anything it can't mine, just saying....

Easiest way is the ender pearl on a corner trick tho.

Wait..what? Do you mind explaining yourself once again?

I understand the Ichorium pickaxe part but you lost me at trying to build a portal in the overworld's bedrock, and how are you supposed to ender pearl the bedrock in the overworld?

If you mean nether than that is what I did.

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
Breaking overworld bedrock creates a portal to the bedrock dimension.

Nothing to do with your question, just a hint.

You ender pearl the nether ceiling to get above it, would probably get you past the overworld's bedrock too but the void will kill you

Daniel_USA

Jul 29, 2019
Breaking overworld bedrock creates a portal to the bedrock dimension.

Nothing to do with your question, just a hint.

You ender pearl the nether ceiling to get above it, would probably get you past the overworld's bedrock too but the void will kill you

Are you trolling or being serious? Because from what I know if you break bedrock you fall into the void.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Are you trolling or being serious? Because from what I know if you break bedrock you fall into the void.

He's completely serious. Use the right pickaxe from Thaumic Tinkerer and you create a portal by breaking bedrock in the overworld.

yotus

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah since I discovered this bedrock mining age, I was able to get rid of Mystcraft for good ! Was tired of it scanning the oregen after every pack update...

Reactions: Psychicash