Keybindings everywhere

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Unit88

Jul 29, 2019
Can anyone give me some tips how to sort out all the different keybindings in the DW20 pack (currently 1.2.1) I look at the controls and I have no idea what most of them do so I put everything I've yet to encounter on 'grave' (because I haven't found a way to make actions not have a keybinding), but I'm interesdted in how other people deal with this.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Yeah I usually just go to "Conflicting" and set everything I dont know/dont use to the same out of the way key.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Can anyone give me some tips how to sort out all the different keybindings in the DW20 pack (currently 1.2.1) I look at the controls and I have no idea what most of them do so I put everything I've yet to encounter on 'grave' (because I haven't found a way to make actions not have a keybinding), but I'm interesdted in how other people deal with this.

If you press ESC the key binding gets set to NONE.

I do wish there was a forge api that could do two things:

1 many mods register keybinds that are context sensitive. I.e. Only apply if you are mounted (on the correct thing) or are holding / wearing a mod item. These keybinds could often easily share the same key if they weren't warned as a conflict AND the keybinds api could keep trying additional mods till one indicated that the context was met.

2 with regard to keys that open GUIs it would be nice to register a chorded keybinds. I.e. Ctrl/alt/shift+key. So, for example, M could open my map and Alt-M could toggle the minimap, Ctrl-M would open map options GUI and Shift-[Alt-]-M could cycle modes for the map or minimap. Up to 8 different functions per key are possible.

Last edited:

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019

1 many mods register keybinds that are context sensitive. I.e. Only apply if you are mounted (on the correct thing) or are holding / wearing a mod item. These keybinds could often easily share the same key if they weren't warned as a conflict AND the keybinds api could keep trying additional mods till one indicated that the context was met.

2 with regard to keys that open GUIs it would be nice to register a chorded keybinds. I.e. Ctrl/alt/shift+key. So then M could open My map and Alt-M could be the maps options.

I second this suggestion. :)

Solarstrike

Jul 29, 2019

2 with regard to keys that open GUIs it would be nice to register a chorded keybinds. I.e. Ctrl/alt/shift+key. So then M could open My map and Alt-M could be the maps options.

I do this as well.
Also, in regards to the second function, there is a mod that does that very function: http://minecraft.curseforge.com/mc-mods/224614-notenoughkeys

I second this suggestion. :)

Third. ;)

Unit88

Jul 29, 2019

2 with regard to keys that open GUIs it would be nice to register a chorded keybinds. I.e. Ctrl/alt/shift+key. So, for example, M could open my map and Alt-M could toggle the minimap, Ctrl-M would open map options GUI and Shift-[Alt-]-M could cycle modes for the map or minimap. Up to 8 different functions per key are possible.

Last time the ESC thing only worked with NEI keybinds, but I'm glad it works with everything else now :D And that api would be great

I do this as well.
Also, in regards to the second function, there is a mod that does that very function: http://minecraft.curseforge.com/mc-mods/224614-notenoughkeys

Not enough keys is in the pack by default. That's the reason we can see conflicting keybinds in a separate category

IMarvinTPA

Jul 29, 2019
I just wish 'P' were the default drop item key. I move it away from 'Q' because I frequently miss when I have to move my wasd hand and end up trying to go forward with Q and the default winds up throwing what I'm holding and I don't move.
Also, Inventory tweak's sorting gets moved to the `/~ key since that's not in any item names so I never resort accidentally.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Not enough keys and inventory tweaks are usually the two mods I disable instantly in any new mod pack.

I didn't know NEK could be used to create key combinations and it deserves a relook. However I'm not going to pretend I can actually remember a keyboard full of keystrokes so outside of a few core mods I just disable most mods key binds and hope that I won't miss out on too much functionality.

And anyone who finds it 'ok' to have something else rearrange their carefully laid out inventory I just don't understand at all. In tweaks, if/when accidentally invoked, just messes up my neat arrangement of tools and food and items and makes me think dark thoughts of the sadist who thought molesting my inventory was a good idea. Which is unfair as I can just disable it. And pretend that such travesties against nature and common sense don't exist.

Last edited:

IMarvinTPA

Jul 29, 2019
And anyone who finds it 'ok' to have something else rearrange their carefully laid out inventory I just don't understand at all. In tweaks, if/when accidentally invoked, just messes up my neat arrangement of tools and food and items and makes me think dark thoughts of the sadist who thought molesting my inventory was a good idea. Which is unfair as I can just disable it. And pretend that such travesties against nature and common sense don't exist.
The mod is customizable for how it reorders your stuff. But I'm too lazy to meticulously organize my items in chests. I go straight for AE so I can get all of my stuff into one spot and keyword search for it. My actual inventory is so random that the only things that need to be perfect for me is the hot bar, which it never sorts for me. The second most important feature I.T. gives me is automatic replenishment of broken tools or used up stacks. I just move the resort key to ` so that I don't unexpectedly trigger it. My OCD is weaker than my Lazy.

Reactions: lenscas

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I feel there should be an option in the curse launcher that allows you to bind keys for every one of the top 100 mods (with an ignore option too? - when pressed it will remove it from the list and the next most popular mod comes in, so if I HATE thaumcraft and press ignore, popular mod #101 comes in, in its place - this would work for the top 150?)
It would be the only thing that would make me move to the curse launcher, as I see it to be of no intrinsic value, but something like this would maybe change my opinion, as I do hate having to look through the controls list to see what is conflicting with my much loved key binding (e.g. the popular f for the wand foci dial), or what the default keys are, as I change some quite often... seriously, if you use the same key as I use for push to talk in TS, I will change it ;)

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I loved how in earlier versions of NotEnoughKeys each mod had it's own tab for keybindings. nowadays it's all 1 big list again as how it was in the beginning

though mods have really gotten crazy with keybindings nowadays, so it'd be really nice if there was perhaps a better way of doing keybindings than how it's done now.
you can use multiple keys to control a keybinding, but not every mod supports that function.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I loved how in earlier versions of NotEnoughKeys each mod had it's own tab for keybindings. nowadays it's all 1 big list again as how it was in the beginning

though mods have really gotten crazy with keybindings nowadays, so it'd be really nice if there was perhaps a better way of doing keybindings than how it's done now.
you can use multiple keys to control a keybinding, but not every mod supports that function.
You mean like ctrl+f, alt+f, shift+f and good ol' f all doing different things?

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019

A good start would be not binding anything until you've created the item and then asking what key you would like to use.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
A good start would be not binding anything until you've created the item and then asking what key you would like to use.
That's a terrible idea...

Some things don't need to be crafted to use, for example baubles/tinkers construct inventory, or dismount from horse/minecart/etc. (or similar for mod items that spawn in world)

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
That's a terrible idea...

Some things don't need to be crafted to use, for example baubles/tinkers construct inventory, or dismount from horse/minecart/etc. (or similar for mod items that spawn in world)

I hate repeating myself on the internet:

A good START would be not binding anything until you've created the item and then asking what key you would like to use...

Obviously this would not work for the things you mentioned(although it would for "mod items that spawn in world", just activate a binding once a player picks it up), however it will get rid of a lot of keybindings.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I hate repeating myself on the internet:

A good START would be not binding anything until you've created the item and then asking what key you would like to use...

Obviously this would not work for the things you mentioned(although it would for "mod items that spawn in world", just activate a binding once a player picks it up), however it will get rid of a lot of keybindings.
Again, not really a good idea. Let's say I have a mod which has a sword that on button press changes mode (e.g. v to empower) you are fighting a horde of mobs, on has that sword, you kill it, it drops it MENU APPEARS! WTF? I was in the middle of fighting.
Random popups annoy everyone on the internet, so why would it be different in game? Being forced to a menu =/= fun

Reactions: Mindfeak926