powered spawners

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Kwequay

Jul 29, 2019
G'day all,

I've been playing with Ender IO recently, trying to do as much with it as I can and avoid using the same mods I normally use. I've been quite enjoying it.

Though I'm wondering, I've set up some powered spawners, but when I captured a Wither skeleton soul it created (and spawns) regular skeletons. I'm wondering if there's a way to rectify this, is it like with MFR where one needed to enable spawn exact copy?

Or is it futile?
Cheers

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
If you move your spawner into the Nether, you'll probably get mostly wither skeletons, rather than normal skeletons.

Not sure if EnderIO has a way to spawn wither skeletons in the Overworld, though.

Reactions: PierceSG

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
What Someone Else 37 said, basically you need to use the powered spawner in the nether. Even then, there will be a few normal skeleton archer spawns there and now, but the majority will still be Wither Skeletons.

Omegatron

Mar 29, 2013
England
The most recent version of Ender IO separates wither skeletons and normal skeletons so you can spawn wither skeletons in the overworld.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I've never used the Ender IO powered spawner, I've always used the MFR Auto-Spawner. To those who have used both, can you quickly describe why you prefer one over the other? MFR requires that green liquid "Mob Essence" but it also requires RF power too. What does Ender IO spawner require in order to run? I already know about the vials (equivalent of MFR safari nets) because I had to make them for my Dimensional Transceivers.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
I've never used the Ender IO powered spawner, I've always used the MFR Auto-Spawner. To those who have used both, can you quickly describe why you prefer one over the other? MFR requires that green liquid "Mob Essence" but it also requires RF power too. What does Ender IO spawner require in order to run? I already know about the vials (equivalent of MFR safari nets) because I had to make them for my Dimensional Transceivers.
A little more work to get the block.
A soul vial to capture the mob.
A broken spawner.

Using the Soul Binder machine to combine the filled soul vial and the broken spawner at the cost of some XP and RF, gets you a broken spawner of that mob type. You also get back the now empty soul vial.

Then you make an empty powered spawner block, which requires a zombie head and one more mob head.

The zombie head needs to go through the Slice n Splice machine with some other materials to create the z logic controller IIRC, which is one of the material used for making the spawner.

You will also need two emeralds to make the two vibrant crystals needed. And some other easy to get materials and now you have crafted yourself an empty powered spawner.

Now, bring the broken spawner and your empty powered spawner to a dark steel anvil (*might work with the normal anvil, not sure), use 30 levels of XP to combine them together and now you have your spawner!

Pro: Only requires RF. No other resources required.

Con: Requires shit load of RF per tick for certain mob types.

Reactions: SolManX

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
The EnderIO one needs power as well but I think it draws significantly more than the MFR one, at least when upgraded. The EnderIO spawner needs 15k RF/t to spawn Endermen at maximum speed. No chance without a Big Reactor there.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
A broken spawner.

Pro: Only requires RF. No other resources required.

Con: Requires shit load of RF per tick for certain mob types.

Cool, thanks. The broken spawner is a killer in GregTech packs. I had thought they were unbreakable, however I read a post on here the other day that "Greg made them slightly stronger than obsidian" or something to that effect. So it might not be a deal killer.

The "Pro" is a real pro. The con is an "oh well, that actually seems fair enough for balance purposes". I hate having to collect that MFR Mob Essence with a passion (Cursed Earth mobfarm, yuck, sick of it). Would love to make the switch!

The EnderIO one needs power as well but I think it draws significantly more than the MFR one, at least when upgraded. The EnderIO spawner needs 15k RF/t to spawn Endermen at maximum speed. No chance without a Big Reactor there.

Holy moley, maybe I spoke too soon. LOL Wow. I think my little 3x3x4 BigReactor is only making 200 RF/t right now for me, but it's been enough for a charcoal tree farm. Maybe Mob Essence isn't looking so bad after all? hehe

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Cool, thanks. The broken spawner is a killer in GregTech packs. I had thought they were unbreakable, however I read a post on here the other day that "Greg made them slightly stronger than obsidian" or something to that effect. So it might not be a deal killer.
I checked the configs in Resurrection, and "harder spawners" is turned off in that pack, as well as several other nerfs. So if you're using that pack, spawners should be exactly as hard to break as they are in vanilla. And if you're on another pack, you can turn that option off in .minecraft/config/GregTech/GregTech.cfg. Or something similar to that. I know Greg has his own folder in the config folder, and I'm pretty sure GregTech.cfg is the right file.

The "Pro" is a real pro. The con is an "oh well, that actually seems fair enough for balance purposes". I hate having to collect that MFR Mob Essence with a passion (Cursed Earth mobfarm, yuck, sick of it). Would love to make the switch!

Holy moley, maybe I spoke too soon. LOL Wow. I think my little 3x3x4 BigReactor is only making 200 RF/t right now for me, but it's been enough for a charcoal tree farm. Maybe Mob Essence isn't looking so bad after all? hehe
I think Endermen are the most expensive mob in the Powered Spawner, presumably because CrazyPants doesn't want enderpearls to be too easy to get. The mod does use a lot of them, after all. Most of the other mobs- including zombies, skeletons, and the like- are much cheaper. Your reactor could probably handle a zombie or skeleton spawner without a capacitor.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I think Endermen are the most expensive mob in the Powered Spawner, presumably because CrazyPants doesn't want enderpearls to be too easy to get. The mod does use a lot of them, after all. Most of the other mobs- including zombies, skeletons, and the like- are much cheaper. Your reactor could probably handle a zombie or skeleton spawner without a capacitor.

Thanks for config info. It's just a personal thing of mine, but I won't touch the settings in a modpack. I prefer to "play it like it is", how it was intended to be. In some of the GT packs, they've put an awful lot of time and thought into "balancing" so I'd rather not fiddle with it. But good info to know for anyone else reading the thread.

Luckily, BR modpack has a Rogue-like Dungeon type of mod, and almost directly below my base is something I never saw before, but was quite happy to see obv... an Enderman spawner. :) With that Ender IO sword, that makes Ender Pearls one of the few items that I have in literally an infinite supply right now. Who'da thunk it?!

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019

The nice thing about the spawners is they use the capacitor upgrades just like the other Ender IO machines. An Enderman spawner with the octadic capacitor is 15k RF/t, but you don't have to put the highest tier capacitors in it. You can start off with none and add them as your power production increases. It makes it a nice system you can upgrade without having to build new machines or rebuild your setup. And like others said here, the Enderman are the most expensive because ender pearls are such a big part of the mod. Making it cheap to spawn enderman would mess with the balance of the mod. I think some mobs are as cheap as 150 RF/t.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
a little tip, if you only want to spawn a certain mob and you've the spawner of that mob, there's a few ways to move that spawner around like Blood Magic, Thaumic Tinkerer, Botania, Minefactory Reloaded etc.
when you've the spawner at your desired location, place a single block of cursed earth from Extra Utilities beneath the spawner.

the spawner will now spawn mobs even if you're not within the 16 block range.
to create a simple on/off switch you could for example use a drawbridge from Tinker's Mechworks

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Alternatively

-snip-

Alternatively, you can use the powered spawner to generate mob essence, then use the MFR spawner to spawn specific mob types. This way you can take advantage of the ability to convert RF to mob essence, and still have the ability to spawn specific mob types, without having to go through all the Ender IO trouble for every single mob.

Also, the safari net system allows you to re-use setups, rather than constantly building new ones.

MrAgle

Jul 29, 2019
What about non-standard mobs?
Can the EnderIO soul vials collect things like pigs and cows and make a powered spawner for livestock? Or Villagers?
Can it handle mobs from other mods, like Witchery goblins or Thaumcraft Pecks?
I have yet to encounter a mob the MFR system can't replicate, but I've never tried any experiments with EnderIO.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Can the EnderIO soul vials collect things like pigs and cows and make a powered spawner for livestock? Or Villagers?
All those should work. Basically everything that you can capture in a soul vial.
Not sure about modded mobs but it can definitely handle some of them.