Pushing through the tedium.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

NNIIXX

Jul 29, 2019
When I play these packs, there always seems to be this middle stage where I just have to mine, and mine, and mine, and mine. At that point in progression (I guess the cusp of mid-game) I just get bored and either cheat or quit playing that save altogether. Tips on pushing through that stage of the game?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
"These packs"?...

Maybe try and play a pack that is better balanced to have better flow of content. And spend time building stuff as a dispersion.

NNIIXX

Jul 29, 2019
To clarify, I have played packs such as AgSkies, Regrowth, The Dark Trilogy, Horizons, and the 1.6.4 Direwolf pack.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
You should have automated mining by the mid-game.

Let it do its' thing while you find landmarks/wildlife to detonate.

Reactions: adzmodeus

KnightOwl

Jul 29, 2019
Midgame for me doesn't really start until I have my first Quarry up. These aren't expensive things to get going.

Deterlo

Jul 29, 2019
Perhaps you should look into automating mining? In Direwolf there are turtles BC mining well and quarry.... all pretty early game. Same with AgSkies, you should be able to (at least partially) automate your resources pretty early

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
You should have automated mining by the mid-game.

Let it do its' thing while you find landmarks/wildlife to detonate.
Midgame for me doesn't really start until I have my first Quarry up. These aren't expensive things to get going.
I think he meant just on the edge of early game to mid-game. But it is all semantics. He gets bored in what most I think would call quite early game. Before automated mining.

For me that is potentially only a few hours into a world though(though I usually draw it out by considerably longer). It is crude, but I usually set up a Mining Turtle while I go set up tech, explore, fight mobs for drops, do some manual targeted mining or my favourite pass time: build stuff!

Maelstraz

Jul 29, 2019
Isn't Tinkers' Construct Hammer in "these packs"?

It's like little quarry in your hands.
You just need "dev/null" from OpenBlocks to deal with tons of stone.
Also Magnetization Ring from Botania / any other cheap item magnet.

Reactions: KnightOwl

Malaclypse

Jul 29, 2019
When I play these packs, there always seems to be this middle stage where I just have to mine, and mine, and mine, and mine. At that point in progression (I guess the cusp of mid-game) I just get bored and either cheat or quit playing that save altogether. Tips on pushing through that stage of the game?

Identify the thing that's become frustrating, and set yourself a goal of automating it instead of continuing to do it manually. For me, even if I still have to do some of the tedious thing (like more mining) for a while to build up the resources, having a goal and a plan for dealing with it helps a lot. If mining is becoming a pain, figure out what you want to do for automated quarrying, make a quick list of the resources you need to accomplish that, then get to work. Now you're working towards a goal, rather than just seeing yourself short of gold or whatever and trudging out to do some more mining because you "have to".

Also, assuming it's in your modpack, make yourself a clipboard (I think it's from bibliocraft). I keep a clipboard stuck next to my front door, and as I come up with projects, I add them to the list. When I get bored of whatever I'm currently doing, I look at the clipboard for something that sounds more interesting to do for a while.

Anyway. That's what helps me when I start to get bored.

Reactions: Dante12129

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
personally if I get really bored of doing the same thing over and over to get to the point I want, I just completely switch gameplay.
always go towards building machines and quarries? screw that, let's use some thaumcraft and botania instead.
always mine to get your resources? screw that, let's do forestry bees and trees
always rush to an AE system for storage? screw that, chests everywhere

MushroomDynamo

Jul 29, 2019
I absolutely loathe mining. I find it boring, tedious, and an uninteresting timesink. If anything has the word "worldgen" in its description I automatically cringe.

To stave off the sheer boredom, I usually bum-rush automatic mining as soon as humanly possible (the Mekanism digital miner being my favorite).

If anything else is annoying to get (wood, mob drops, etc) I usually have some fun times researching the best automation method and then overbuilding it so that I never have to touch it again. Works like a charm.