Modding Help

midgetassin

Jul 29, 2019
Ya i found that out in a diffrent one this was a acendental repost and i found out what was wrong i had the texture folder name with a capital T

gardenapple

Mod Developer
Jan 14, 2014
Little tip for you: you don't have to create subclasses for each item you make. You can just say "new Item().setUnclocalizedName("whatever")" four times and it'll work.

midgetassin

Jul 29, 2019
I got another question. Do you no if its possible to make a crafting/ building of a machine by having little parts that you physcally have to place in the general right place for it to work kinda like that mod mini blocks but for it to form multiblock structures for example having a generator but instead of the normall crafting you have to craft all the parts such as radiator piston engine block and a base wich will signafy were to start building and place them above/on the base and when your down or if you did it right it forms to look like a engine.

If it is possible do you think its a good idea or bad.

What my idea is to have stuff look realistic and be slightly complicated becuase in my opinun everything is to easy in minecraft.

midgetassin

Jul 29, 2019
Little tip for you: you don't have to create subclasses for each item you make. You can just say "new Item().setUnclocalizedName("whatever")" four times and it'll work.
I'm assuming this only works if you dont want your item to do anything special right?

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I'm assuming this only works if you dont want your item to do anything special right?
Yes, if it does need to do something special you can use metadata. Some modders will make one item for all their tools or something an use metadata to differentiate them

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I got another question. Do you no if its possible to make a crafting/ building of a machine by having little parts that you physcally have to place in the general right place for it to work kinda like that mod mini blocks but for it to form multiblock structures for example having a generator but instead of the normall crafting you have to craft all the parts such as radiator piston engine block and a base wich will signafy were to start building and place them above/on the base and when your down or if you did it right it forms to look like a engine.

What my idea is to have stuff look realistic and be slightly complicated becuase in my opinun everything is to easy in minecraft.
It is totally possible. You would need to do some checking of the surrounding blocks, but it should be pretty easy. I know that @jordsta95 did something similar for furnaces and ore processors

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
I usually create a "logiclessItem" item class where I just pass in the item name and whether or not I want to add anything to the tooltip, then just pass a name string (which gets used as the texture name and the unlocalised name). But yeah then it doesn't do anything special, usually just crafting material or something.
I have another question. Do you know if it is possible to make a crafting/building of a machine by having little parts that you physically have to place in a specific space in the block? Similar to that mini blocks mod but for it to form multiblock structures. For example: having a generator but instead of the normal crafting you have to craft all the parts (radiator, piston, engine block, and a base) The base would signify where to start building and you would place the other items above/on the base and when all of the components are in their correct spots it forms an engine.

If it is possible? And do you think its a good idea?

What my idea is to have stuff look realistic and be slightly complicated because in my opinion everything is to easy in minecraft.
I'm not sure what you are really asking with the last part, so I edited it into something that I think you might be asking. When asking for help or someone's opinion, you should be clear with whatever you are asking.
The engine idea can work, you get 3 float parameters for when you click (activate) a block, and with a tile entity you can store whatever info you need. It would be hard, but the end result would be really cool.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019

It is totally possible. You would need to do some checking of the surrounding blocks, but it should be pretty easy. I know that @jordsta95 did something similar for furnaces and ore processors
Yes, it is actually really easy to do it. But to make it look nice is a different question. If you want an ugly, but "simple", way to do it, then look at:
Furnace - https://github.com/jordsta95/JordnE...in/java/com/jordsta/stuff/blocks/smelter.java For this the block needs to be placed infront of the side which has the furnace texture (i.e. the one that is different) and then right clicked, and it will spawn the item 2 blocks above (I did this because 1 block above was awkward sometimes)
Ore doubler - https://github.com/jordsta95/JordnE...in/java/com/jordsta/stuff/blocks/doubler.java This takes the ore, and "purifies" it (I called it purified ore, so that I could keep it as a block, so that it worked with the smelter)
For both of these ignore the if(y-1) thing, that is just checking that they have a powered cable below. The cable mechanic is very crude and is just there so that there is some form of "power" although, it's not advised to do what I do with it...

And if you wanted to do some sort of crafting, you can do something like this - https://github.com/jordsta95/JordnE...a/com/jordsta/stuff/blocks/blockTransmog.java which crafts the item assuming the blocks are all on the correct face (each face of the block has a different colour)

midgetassin

Jul 29, 2019
Ok let me restate what I said for I dont think I explained very well before. What i was wondering is if it is possible to take a block call it lets say the base of the generator. Then you take parts such as raidiator engine block and such and place it in or above the area of the base. Then letting this form a multiblock structure. If there is a way can you try to explain it for I can't really think of one.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Ok let me restate what I said for I dont think I explained very well before. What i was wondering is if it is possible to take a block call it lets say the base of the generator. Then you take parts such as raidiator engine block and such and place it in or above the area of the base. Then letting this form a multiblock structure. If there is a way can you try to explain it for I can't really think of one.
That was what I thought you said originally :p

Jordsta's uses blocks instead of TEs but it is the same concept

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah. I don't like tile entities, so I avoid them. But if you make your TE turn into a multiblock, then you can do what I do, and just tweak it so it works for you