Open 1.2.0: Bug: Landscape not loading properly and impossible to walk over.

StripeySocks

Jul 29, 2019
Version:

What is the bug:
The landscape sometimes suddenly shows a huge ravine, of which I'm sure isn't really there. It looks somewhat like the chunks not loading right, but even when walking up to it, it doesn't go away. I can see all the caves and the lava inside it. I tried walking over it once, I started glitching and I quickly moved myself to the "land" again before anything more weird would happen.

I'm afraid what would happen if my future quarry would be there...

Mod & Version:

Paste.feed-the-beast.com log:

Can it be repeated:
It happened to me twice now. So I assume it can. I did nothing special to make it happen though. I don't know what triggered it.

Known Fix:
I can walk around it, as it is about 200 chunks in length or something, but usually I just go away from it, leave it a bit, and later it usually disappeared.

cottonsocks

Jul 29, 2019
This has been a bug in Minecraft for quite a while now, and seems to be fairly common.
Either reconnect/reload the world or press F3+A.

Astasia

Jul 29, 2019
This has been a bug in Minecraft for quite a while now, and seems to be fairly common.
Either reconnect/reload the world or press F3+A.

It's actually not a minecraft error, it's a Chicken Chunks error. Chicken Chunks has a buggy "unload orphaned chunks" option that for some reason is turned on by default, when it thinks chunks aren't unloading fast enough it force unloads them and prevents them from reloading normally. This generally happens to chunks in a line on the edge of your view distance, which causes the long strips of void chunks. It's very easy to fix, just change "cleanuptime" to 0 in the chicken chunks config and you will never see it again.

Reactions: mypal125