Your thoughts on the Technic Platform?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Milaha

Jul 29, 2019
So, lets talk about the Plus+ pack for a quick second since Entropy brought it up. I did just a little looking last night and I think it is about to change the face of the MC mod community. Why you may ask? Because it is made by goons of course (a fact that entropy hinted at yesterday).

Feel free to skip this paragraph if you know what goons are. For those that do not know, "goons" is the label that the community based around the something awful forums goes by. Whats so special about them? Glad you asked! They are pretty diverse as most large communities are, but they tend to bring a few things to the table that we care about here. 1. They can be incredibly organized while at the same time bringing very large numbers of people to the table (tho we care less about the numbers right now). 2. They tend to have members in nearly every professional position, so if they need a lawyer, coder, economist, etc. odds are they can find one in their ranks. 3. They give zero fks about anyone's feel bads or breaking community expectations (many would even call them trolls, myself included).

So, what are they doing, and why do we care? Well, for a long time we have all played armchair lawyer over what rights mod holders actually have. Goons have everything they need to put their money where their mouth is to really test it, and they are. The Plus+ pack very clearly violates the rights that mod makers think they have, is doing so knowingly, and with no indication of backing down (unlike tekkit). It is now up to those mod makers to defend those rights. This WILL settle the debate. Either mod makers will successfully get the Plus+ pack shut down, or they will fail. In either case the issue will be settled once and for all, and the community will be a better place for it.

P.S. I am not an expert on goons or the Plus+ pack. I have simply been a netizen for a long while and have crossed paths with goons many times before. This post was all (informed) opinion based on previous experience and some research last night.

EDIT:

Really all you need to know about their attitude:
http://wiki.pluspluspack.com/index.php?title=Plus+_Manifesto
http://wiki.pluspluspack.com/index.php?title=Copyright

Jay Cee

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think I will ever understand why out of any game I've ever played that minecraft has the most drama when it comes to mods. Any other game mod devs WANT their stuff published and used and spotlighted etc, a lot of times they end up getting jobs out of the deal if they are truly talented and get recognition. Ah well, to each their own.

Hahahah don't worry, Minecraft wasn't the first game this happened to. There was an Oblivion mod pack titled "POOP" (which, regardless of it's name was an awesome collection of mods) that had the exact same issues that Technic went through.

TheSirusKing

Jul 29, 2019
Love how this doesnt Belong here at all.
Please move to the Technic forums.
Oh, and Entropy, dont you dare come to the FTB Forums then say "Hey guys Technic > FTB", and then Promote breaking Copyright.
And the Difference between "Private modpacks" and "PublicModpacks" is the same as Letting your friend listen to your iPod and Popping the .mp3 on Pirate bay.
EDIT:
And Greg only allows modpacks to have permission if they ASK BEFORE USING IT (Hence the trouble of making GT and Technic incompatible)

Alex Cubed

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys, let's stay on topic. We don't need to discuss legal junk for the millionth time. Some people think Technic is a sin, and some people think mods should be distributed freely.
Let's not talk about the company, but the product. A program that allows automated custom pack creation, and the ability to share the pack to players on a server/with friends on LAN.

TheSirusKing

Jul 29, 2019
Distributing Private packs is fine, i doubt there are mods that say that as a "no no" in their copyright, but if they did i wouldnt use it.
Using the launcher to do it is fine, as long as it Requires a password or something that actually makes it a Private pack.
And still, unless you are also discussing FTB's launcher, then GTFO.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Love how this doesnt Belong here at all.

You are correct, this thread should likely be in the general forum.

Please move to the Technic forums.

You are not correct there, as this is a thread on the FTB forums about the Technic Platform. Why would the Technic forums need a post like this?

Oh, and Entropy, dont you dare come to the FTB Forums then say "Hey guys Technic > FTB", and then Promote breaking Copyright.

Before you read anything else, read this: http://wiki.pluspluspack.com/index.php?title=Copyright

You are free to disagree with the data at that link, but that appears to mean that you'd then be wrong.

At this point, the interesting thing will be how the Plus+Pack plays out, as that would change the landscape if the (possibly erroneous) copyright issue is dealt with, as this is THE major issue that is HOLDING BACK modified MineCraft. All other issues have been taken care of for the most part (we have APIs that do most everything needed, we have a unified code base, we have ways to distribute mods and pack updates, etc).

So, you are free to disagree, but at this point that does not really matter. What does matter is what will happen to resolve the problem.

Reactions: Mooseman9

Dafuq?

Jul 29, 2019
Distributing Private packs is fine, i doubt there are mods that say that as a "no no" in their copyright, but if they did i wouldnt use it.
Using the launcher to do it is fine, as long as it Requires a password or something that actually makes it a Private pack.
And still, unless you are also discussing FTB's launcher, then GTFO.

Well we are comparing FTB's solution for custom packs with Technic's approach. It actually was a rather civilized discussion until you arrived.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019

Well, Advanced Machines' copyright, well, forbid most private packs from using it.

Chrono

Jul 29, 2019
I really don't get why people like that plus+ pack, to me it looks like a cluster of mods put together just for the sake of it.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
I feel like starting a new thread on the General Discussion forum on the Plus+ Pack so this can get back to topic.[DOUBLEPOST=1362428679][/DOUBLEPOST]
Really? I checked the original Post's and i dont actually see anything about Copyright on them ;o
Im probably missing it.

http://atomicstryker.net/about.html

Atomicstryker's the current maintainer of Advanced Machines, so I'm guessing the copyright applies to it as well.

Reactions: ampayne2

TheSirusKing

Jul 29, 2019
Well we are comparing FTB's solution for custom packs with Technic's approach. It actually was a rather civilized discussion until you arrived.
Oh, im sorry, i didnt read that anywhere other then Entropy: "platform is loving amazing in every possible way, and it quite literally blows FTB's convoluted process out of the water" I probably missed it, sorry.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
I feel like starting a new thread on the General Discussion forum on the Plus+ Pack so this can get back to topic.

While the PlusPlus+Plus+(PLUS)Plus+ pack (or something like that, right? Maybe just ++pack would be easiest, which is the C++ operator to increment the variable and then complete the current line) is not directly on topic, it is an extremely important part of the Technic Platform discussion. But, yeah, a different thread for it might be interesting, although making a new thread isn't going to get this one back on topic.

For that, we need to suit up, and use portal guns!

Oh, im sorry, i didnt read that anywhere other then Entropy: "platform is loving amazing in every possible way, and it quite literally blows FTB's convoluted process out of the water" I probably missed it, sorry.

As stated below, you should read the ENTIRE thread, otherwise you end up making yourself look a wee bit rude, eh?

TheSirusKing

Jul 29, 2019

GreenWolf13

Jul 29, 2019
That is at the bottom of the post you linked. I don't believe that is "current".
[/quote][/quote]
Actually it is. December 26 would mean that it's probably for Minecraft 1.4.6, and 1.4.6 mods work on 1.4.7 (I know, I've been using Forge for 1.4.6 to develop my mod for 1.4.7)

Status
Not open for further replies.