Will you bother with Ultimate?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
I'll see what it has, then wait until I am suitably annoyed at some point in my current world to ragedelete it... it happens often :( That's why I like servers so much... more insentive to stick around

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Likely not. I waited for a rather long time for FTB Tech and eventually snapped, and then I ended up with a personal MultiMC configuration with 134 mods in it. I'm much happier now rolling my own stuff again, although the FTB Forums themselves are still the greatest place for technical chitchat and ideas. Adding 8 more mods tomorrow, yays!

I've thought about taking this into my own hands, since almost everything I want is fair game for private modpacks and my server is and always will be private. I'm even maintaining a slightly ahead-of-branch FTB 5.1.1 (we demand thaumic bees, mps upgrades, and a TE that doesn't drop items) in MultiMC for my friends.

But it seems like it'd be tedious to maintain the item ID stuff. Do you find it to be so? How do you maintain continuity?

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
But it seems like it'd be tedious to maintain the item ID stuff. Do you find it to be so? How do you maintain continuity?

For my own personal modpack, I just use the MindCrack latest version as the base and go from there. In most cases, the config files will have minimal changes between version (and I usually just stick with the version of the current MindCraft release for most of the mods so as to minimize the work involved). And when adding a brand new mod, you'll get prompted as to what item IDs are in conflict in the console, so changing those manually takes care of business.

No where near as easy as letting the FTB team do all of the work, but easier than doing it all on your own by a good deal.

MushroomDynamo

Jul 29, 2019

Either grit your teeth like I did or just look for a config pack. I can always put my current amorphous blob of configs up on dropbox if you'd like to save a bunch of bother, since chances are I've almost everything you want covered and then some.

Also, seriously, take things into your own hands. Modpacks are nice, particularly when you have tech-illiterate friends you want to have fun with on a server, but they just don't provide the flexibility or release stability you get from rolling your own stuff. Not to mention you get to be more tolerant of unofficial stuff if it suits your fancy /yaylogisticspipes.

superriku11

Jul 29, 2019
Depends if Mindcrack will continue to be updated and supported, if not we wont have any choice but to switch.

The "brand" packs, so to speak, will likely be updated for as long as their owners choose to keep them going. And by "brand" packs I mean ones directly linked to people such as the Mindcrack members and Direwolf20.

HyperionXL

Jul 29, 2019
I already use all the mods I expect to be in Ultimate plus lots more. No idea why people are bent on waiting when most of the best mods out there are plenty compatible with each other. Drag, drop in mods folder, change some config file settings and you're done. How hard is that!?

UnionCraft

Jul 29, 2019
I already use all the mods I expect to be in Ultimate plus lots more. No idea why people are bent on waiting when most of the best mods out there are plenty compatible with each other. Drag, drop in mods folder, change some config file settings and you're done. How hard is that!?

Its not a question of how hard it is, its a question of convenience. When you start updating this, that and the other your instructions for players to join your server go from a simple: Download FTB launcher and play - to visit this website, DL this version, install that repeat 8 times and your good to go!

akamanu

Jul 29, 2019
Its not a question of how hard it is, its a question of convenience. When you start updating this, that and the other your instructions for players to join your server go from a simple: Download FTB launcher and play - to visit this website, DL this version, install that repeat 8 times and your good to go!
This is the reason im waiting, its not that i cant update the mods and fix the id conflicts, its the fact that i have to explain to all my users how to do also and i really dont have time for it.

/manu