Widening Arcane Bore...

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Bryantom

Jul 29, 2019
I've been doing a lot with Thaumcraft 4.2 lately. Lots of fun. I've got an arcane bore making small tunnels. I'd like to give it a little bit more OOMPH. What enchant can I put on the excavation wand foci to widen its boring area?

Thanks,
Bryan

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I believe its called the Expand enchant, but you can't get it as your first enchantment. You may need to get Potency or some such first, which will unlock the first Expand option.

Bryantom

Jul 29, 2019
Do you know what tab it is located in? I have a ton of enchants open in Thaumic Tinkering but they all say "you have learned how to... " but there are no directions how to do the enchant.

Thanks,
Bryan

Bryantom

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, is that what that device does. I discovered that a long time ago, but didn't think much of it. I'll build that later today. Thanks!

Bryan

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
You need, as mentioned, the focal manipulator to add enchants to thaumcrafts wand focii.

You can add 5 enchants to a focus, the first costs 8 levels and each subsequent enchant 8 more (up to 40 for the 5th enchant).

An additional wrinkle is that certain focus enchants are only available at certain focus levels. The excavation focus accepts enchants as documented here http://farproc.wikidot.com/thaumcraft-ranges.

Basically you can add Treasure (Fortune) at ranks 1, 3 and 5, Enlarge at ranks 2 and 4, Dowsing at rank 3 and Silk Touch at 5 (Obviously don't add Treasure if you want to take Silk Touch eventually).

Enlarge II - the max level on the excavation focus, will give you a 9m diameter circle, but a rather useless radius on a hand wielded focus, never add Enlarge to a focus you want to use in your wand.

Bryantom

Jul 29, 2019
This is really cool. Watching the movie makes me think I'm going to have to build a lot more node stabilizers and transducers. Do most enchants use the basic aspects or should I start finding nodes with other aspects too? If people could post their systems for ideas before I begin, I'd appreciate it.

Bryan

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
This is really cool. Watching the movie makes me think I'm going to have to build a lot more node stabilizers and transducers. Do most enchants use the basic aspects or should I start finding nodes with other aspects too? If people could post their systems for ideas before I begin, I'd appreciate it.

Bryan

Energized nodes only express the base aspects.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
As I recall, functionally the energized node will express the base aspects of those compound aspects. I forget the math, but I recall it only uses the compound version if the result is higher than an existing base version.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
* Compound aspects count 1 to 1 for each of the primal aspects that they are composed of, regardless of the composing ratio. So 10 Fabrico would count as 10 of each primal.
* Only the largest source of each compound is counted. So a Potentia 20, Ignis 15, Fabrico 10 node would have 10 in all primals except for ignis and ordo with 20 each.
* The cv/t in each aspect is the square root - truncated - of the aspect magnitude. So 99 ignis would be 9 ignis cv/t.
* Bright nodes get a 20% bonus - after the square root. Pale gets a similar penalty.

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
If you are playing Agarain Skies 2 or another modpack with nodal mechanics, making a 120 strength fabrico/instrumentum/other-humanous-containing-aspect node is fairly easy to do, and gets you a fairly easy 10 cv/t when energised.