Why are diamonds so rare now?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Geometry

Jul 29, 2019
So I started a new world using the ultimate pack and I have been strip mining for hours now. So far I have only found two veins of diamonds and they weren't the largest ones either. Obviously they're meant to be hard to find but now it's just a pain in the neck. I can usually get at least a full stack of them in the time I spent to get 8 of them. Is it just bad luck? Or is a mod messing with the vanilla ore spawns? In my last ftb world, the spawn rates were fine but now they are just crazy.

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, a mod is messing with vanilla spawns. It is making diamonds more common :p If you want to up the amount of diamonds, it is in the Thermal Expansion config.

Reactions: Eyamaz

xSINZx

Jul 29, 2019
Me.. I see Coal I see a Diamond so I mine it.
I think Starting worlds they are trying to make it a bit harder to get somewhere. I mean whats the point If you cut a few trees striaght off the spawn dig down to lvl 8 to 16 and hunt diamonds. You should be made to establish yourself first before finding Diamonds. I think They might have built that in somehow? But of course you can manipulate configs?

Reactions: Eyamaz

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
Well that's interesting. Apparently Ultimate does not increase it any more :( The config is in config -> cofh -> thermalexpansion.cfg
Near the bottom; in the world section, you can change 'vanilla.augment' to true, then boot up the pack, and it should generate vanilla ore config options in that config.

Reactions: Geometry

Geometry

Jul 29, 2019
Well that's interesting. Apparently Ultimate does not increase it any more :( The config is in config -> cofh -> thermalexpansion.cfg
Near the bottom; in the world section, you can change 'vanilla.augment' to true, then boot up the pack, and it should generate vanilla ore config options in that config.
Now I have all the vanilla ore options such as "clustersize" and "numclusters" but, I don't know what to change them to :( I just want the default settings, not too much or less.
Could you help me out?:D

tabs

Jul 29, 2019
So weird. Coming from the DW20 pack to ultimate there seemed to be a wealth of diamonds for me.

tabs

Jul 29, 2019
That's possible, I've only been mining in beta worldgenerated chunks as of yet.

Well.. there's always the Minium Stone :)

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
clustersize is the amount of diamond ore blocks per vein, and numclusters is the amount of veins each chunk. Keep in mind, these are averages.

Geometry

Jul 29, 2019
Me.. I see Coal I see a Diamond so I mine it.
I think Starting worlds they are trying to make it a bit harder to get somewhere. I mean whats the point If you cut a few trees striaght off the spawn dig down to lvl 8 to 16 and hunt diamonds. You should be made to establish yourself first before finding Diamonds. I think They might have built that in somehow? But of course you can manipulate configs?
I did get myself established for looking for diamonds:) All geared up in iron armor and tools

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Basically if you set clustersize=6 and numclusters=1 for diamond ore, that means that Thermal Expansion will generate on average one extra vein of diamond ore, in addition to what vanilla generates, and that extra vein will have a maximum size of 6 ore blocks.

One extra vein per what? We don't know for sure. TE hooks into the vanilla ore generation mechanics and just tells it to "do one more vein with size 6". It's probably a percent chance per chunk mechanism, similar to how GregTech generates iridium ore. Maybe something like 25% chance for each chunk to receive that extra vein. But that's pure speculation on my part.

P.S.: We get these "why are diamonds rare" threads every time a new modpack comes out - just try the forum search. And every time someone goes and scans a statistically useful area with an external tool and gets exactly the expected average amount of diamonds per chunk. There is no actual shortage, people just think there is because of:

- Clustering Illusion: diamond distribution is fairly random, and it's perfectly possible to have a bad luck streak, but people misinterpretate it
- Increased Consumption: because each new mod adds additional needs for diamonds, people have a harder time satisfying the demand, and therefore it feels like diamond is harder to come by when in fact they still find the same amount as always
- Richie Rich Syndrome: Coming out of a well established world where quarries and turtles and tunnel bores funnel a neverending stream of diamonds into the storage chests without the player having to lift a finger, it feels twice as difficult when coming into a new world where they have to dig out every diamond by hand.

Geometry

Jul 29, 2019
Basically if you set clustersize=6 and numclusters=1 for diamond ore, that means that Thermal Expansion will generate on average one extra vein of diamond ore, in addition to what vanilla generates, and that extra vein will have a maximum size of 6 ore blocks.

One extra vein per what? We don't know for sure. TE hooks into the vanilla ore generation mechanics and just tells it to "do one more vein with size 6". It's probably a percent chance per chunk mechanism, similar to how GregTech generates iridium ore. Maybe something like 25% chance for each chunk to receive that extra vein. But that's pure speculation on my part.
But right now it seems that what vanilla generates is really rare. If I do what you have stated, would it balance out the spawn rates? Also, has thermal expansion messed with any other ores?

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
TE is used to generate the four most common mod ores - copper, tin, silver, lead. They are deactivated in all other mods, and TE's spawn amounts are adjusted to values the FTB team deems sufficient to supply all mods.

By default, TE does not modify any vanilla ores, and neither does any other mod.

Reactions: Westingham

Geometry

Jul 29, 2019
TE is used to generate the four most common mod ores - copper, tin, silver, lead. They are deactivated in all other mods, and TE's spawn amounts are adjusted to values the FTB team deems sufficient to supply all mods.

By default, TE does not modify any vanilla ores, and neither does any other mod.
Then why are diamonds so rare?

BIBLO

Jul 29, 2019
i been running ultimate since the day it came out. I found 20 diamonds my first mining trip. Probably luck, but I have no trouble getting ores. I haven't even bothered with a quarry. been using mining exp to enchant with. I have 60 diamonds sitting in my chest waiting for something to make with them.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
As one of those peeps who tend to restart worlds often, I have never noticed any difference between the different modpacks. sometimes it takes some time to find the first veins of diamonds, other times i get like 1 - 2 veins within 5 minutes of reaching y12

Not all chunks will contain a vein of diamond, and some chunks will also contain more than one vein of diamond. some veins are really large, and then there are those chunks where a large portion of the diamond capable 16 layers are mostly replaced by either a cave or lava. diamonds are added early, and the later spawning of dirt and gravel as well as caves and lava will destroy diamond ore blocks).