Where to even start with modding

imGreggzyy

Jul 29, 2019
Hi all,
I've been playing Minecraft for around 2 or 3 years now, but recently find myself bored in vanilla. I'm not very creative, so I can't come up with fancy new ideas for builds or anything like that. However I know modding can add a lot more functionality to the game.

I tried to delve into the world of Feed the Beast, but I was just overwhelmed by the sheer awesomeness of the amount of new stuff! I want to start a little YouTube / Livestream series where I create my own modpack and one by one add new mods every few weeks until I eventually get to the stage where I am comfortable playing FTB and know what the hell it is that I am doing.

What would you guys recommend to try. I've heard about buildcraft and industrial craft but again, I'm not really sure where to start with it all. A list of multiple mods to try would be a great reply guys!

Thanks in advance!

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
For starters, this is what I'd go with.
  • Thaumcraft 4
  • Buildcraft
  • Thermal Expansion
  • MapWriter or Rei's minimap
  • NEI
  • Railcraft
  • Steve's Carts 2
  • Universal Electricity
  • Mine Factory Reloaded
  • (Maybe) Industrialcraft
  • Tinker's Construct
  • Biomes o' Plenty
  • Ars Magica 2
That should give you plenty to do and learn while still keeping you from getting overloaded.

Reactions: imGreggzyy

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
For starters, this is what I'd go with.
  • Thaumcraft 4
  • Buildcraft
  • Thermal Expansion
  • MapWriter or Rei's minimap
  • NEI
  • Railcraft
  • Steve's Carts 2
  • Universal Electricity
  • Mine Factory Reloaded
  • (Maybe) Industrialcraft
  • Tinker's Construct
  • Biomes o' Plenty
  • Ars Magica 2
That should give you plenty to do and learn while still keeping you from getting overloaded.
A good start, but you forgot one of the most important ones...

wait for it...

INVENTORY TWEAKS

Yeah. use Inventory Tweaks. Then the next time you find yourself playing vanilla, you'll be constantly middle clicking to sort your inventory or chest and wondering why nothing is happening... T_T

Reactions: imGreggzyy

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Hi all,
I've been playing Minecraft for around 2 or 3 years now, but recently find myself bored in vanilla. I'm not very creative, so I can't come up with fancy new ideas for builds or anything like that. However I know modding can add a lot more functionality to the game.

I tried to delve into the world of Feed the Beast, but I was just overwhelmed by the sheer awesomeness of the amount of new stuff! I want to start a little YouTube / Livestream series where I create my own modpack and one by one add new mods every few weeks until I eventually get to the stage where I am comfortable playing FTB and know what the hell it is that I am doing.

What would you guys recommend to try. I've heard about buildcraft and industrial craft but again, I'm not really sure where to start with it all. A list of multiple mods to try would be a great reply guys!

Thanks in advance!

the fastest way I could suggested to learn these mods step by step in the shortest amount of time is by watching one of direwolf20's singeplayer let's play series. I'd suggest going with the 1.5 version as it has the most recent mod versions and that season is already finished. with each episode try doing the same things as direwolf does and after the episode trying doing it in a way you'd do it. the good thing about the direwolf20 packs is that they often have most of the most popular mods at that time

but before you actually start your own modded Let's Play, be sure that you actually have content that others might be interested in... anyone can make a let's play, but only a few can make a good let's play

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
the fastest way I could suggested to learn these mods step by step in the shortest amount of time is by watching one of direwolf20's singeplayer let's play series. I'd suggest going with the 1.5 version as it has the most recent mod versions and that season is already finished. with each episode try doing the same things as direwolf does and after the episode trying doing it in a way you'd do it. the good thing about the direwolf20 packs is that they often have most of the most popular mods at that time

but before you actually start your own modded Let's Play, be sure that you actually have content that others might be interested in... anyone can make a let's play, but only a few can make a good let's play
I'd probably go for the 1.6 not 1.5 (unless that's a typo) TE3, TC4, and AM2 are 1.6 only so he'd be missing some of the three coolest mods available.

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
I'd download a modpack, rather than trying to add the mods yourself.
the 2 best options for this are the Direwolf20 pack on the FTB launcher (then you can follow along with his series)
or the Resonant Rise pack on the ATLauncher, which has pretty much everything the DW20 pack has, but more, a lot more.

InThayne

Oct 14, 2013
Yeah. use Inventory Tweaks. Then the next time you find yourself playing vanilla, you'll be constantly middle clicking to sort your inventory or chest and wondering why nothing is happening... T_T

Or not. I immediately remap 'R' and middle mouse to do anything but sort. I use InvTweaks for a few things, but sort is not one of them. Nothing more irritating than to have your inventory and chests all laid out how you like them and then look up to see a jumbled mess and have to manually reposition everything how it should be. Now If you could recall a previously sorted scheme, that would be ideal. Am I missing something?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I'd download a modpack, rather than trying to add the mods yourself.
the 2 best options for this are the Direwolf20 pack on the FTB launcher (then you can follow along with his series)
or the Resonant Rise pack on the ATLauncher, which has pretty much everything the DW20 pack has, but more, a lot more.
Yeah I would also suggest starting with something like the DW20 pack. Just start out slow with one mod at the time. Buildcraft pipes for example is a great start. They are crude and there are plenty of smarter solutions, but its a really good intro to the modded stuff. Then make some powered furnaces and stuff with Thermal Expansion or Industrial craft(I am not sure how starter friendly the new IC2 is, but it used to be a nice place to start out). Then just browse some wikis looking up new mods or watch some guides/LPs(find someone who doesn't just show boring manual stuff, but have condensed the show down to really good informative stuff). Pick one mod you find interesting and do that for a bit. Don't attempt to do it all at once, but just get a good understanding of the mod before starting on another. The more you have tried this way, the better you can start to combine stuff in spectacular ways.

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
Or not. I immediately remap 'R' and middle mouse to do anything but sort. I use InvTweaks for a few things, but sort is not one of them. Nothing more irritating than to have your inventory and chests all laid out how you like them and then look up to see a jumbled mess and have to manually reposition everything how it should be. Now If you could recall a previously sorted scheme, that would be ideal. Am I missing something?
Well most people just want all the redstone in a chest to be together and not have to hunt a couple stacks down. I just like to be able to take stock of what's in a chest so I use Inv tweaks. I really don't care how it's sorted as long as it's sorted.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I'd probably go for the 1.6 not 1.5 (unless that's a typo) TE3, TC4, and AM2 are 1.6 only so he'd be missing some of the three coolest mods available.

not a typo. I was suggesting the 1.5 Direwolf modpack along with direwolf's LP with the 1.5 modpack as season 6 just started and only has a few episodes out, so not much has been covered yet... but now that I start thinking about it, did direwolf ever do a let's play with his 1.5 modpack? it's been so long since season 5 so I don't remember everything well anymore

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
not a typo. I was suggesting the 1.5 Direwolf modpack along with direwolf's LP with the 1.5 modpack as season 6 just started and only has a few episodes out, so not much has been covered yet... but now that I start thinking about it, did direwolf ever do a let's play with his 1.5 modpack? it's been so long since season 5 so I don't remember everything well anymore
He's been doing a 1.6 LP hasn't he? For quite some time now.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
He's been doing a 1.6 LP hasn't he? For quite some time now.

that's his forgecraft LP. while it's not a bad let's play, it's not as informative as his singleplayer LP's.
on his SPLP he's alone and thus spends more time explaining his builds, while on his MPLP he often talks with other members and mod developers about what they're doing and such

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
that's his forgecraft LP. while it's not a bad let's play, it's not as informative as his singleplayer LP's.
on his SPLP he's alone and thus spends more time explaining his builds, while on his MPLP he often talks with other members and mod developers about what they're doing and such
I personally prefer those. His SPs are nice, but they get rather dull. Not much happens except some builds here and there. Forgecraft still makes nice builds but there's a bit more of an entertainment value to it. My personal preference though.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I personally prefer those. His SPs are nice, but they get rather dull. Not much happens except some builds here and there. Forgecraft still makes nice builds but there's a bit more of an entertainment value to it. My personal preference though.

I also prefer the MPLP's, they are alot of fun to watch.
but for a person wanting to learn the mods in a short amount of time, the SPLP's is a better choice

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
yeah, DW20 modpack and let's play is definitely a recommended way to go, adding mods bit by bit is VERY frustrating (ids and world-gen). You'll find yourself at a place where you want to branch out and then be completely comfortable doing so.

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
I also prefer the MPLP's, they are alot of fun to watch.
but for a person wanting to learn the mods in a short amount of time, the SPLP's is a better choice
Hell, just go for the mod spotlights. He thoroughly explains everything leaving the fun builds to the imagination.

Reactions: rhn