for feed the beast for a 1.3.2 server for newzealand ftb community

how much will this handle

Greedseed

Jul 29, 2019
i got a Dual Xeon Hexa E5645 2.67Ghz
32Gig DDR3 1600Ghz
Asus Z8PE-D12X
Pike Raidcard
2 Crosair Force GT in raid 0 ( only for MC )
2 WB 1TB Drives in raid 1 for backups an OS
Cent OS 6.3

Older photo :) back when we ran everything even OS from the SSD's

DSC_0759.jpg

Da rack !
DSC_0765.jpg

Reactions: stads

Greedseed

Jul 29, 2019
well true only i do want to upgrade my cpu's to two X5690. Since those clock to 3.5Ghz witch is a lot better for mc

but this server also runs our teamspeak and websites databases and everything else :) We run just more then minecraft

Reactions: stads

octarockstudio

Jul 29, 2019
i got a Dual Xeon Hexa E5645 2.67Ghz
32Gig DDR3 1600Ghz
Asus Z8PE-D12X
Pike Raidcard
2 Crosair Force GT in raid 0 ( only for MC )
2 WB 1TB Drives in raid 1 for backups an OS
Cent OS 6.3

Older photo :) back when we ran everything even OS from the SSD's

DSC_0759.jpg

Da rack !
DSC_0765.jpg
:)

Swaffer

Jul 29, 2019
I think that deserves a toaster block in game which turns bread into toast... Modders anyone???

welshtony

Jul 29, 2019
I (well my site) got a CreeperHost server that we will be running it on.

Here is my current computer spec.

Case = Antec 900
CPU = AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 955 Black Edition 125W C3 (Socket AM3) Processor - Retail
Cooler = Artec Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
PSU = 500W Corsair Builder Series 500CX Power Supply
MOBO = Asus M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 880G Socket AM3 Onboard 128MB Memory DVI VGA HDMI Out ATX Motherboard
RAM = G-Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX Memory Kit CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.5v
HDD = 1TB Samsung HD103SJ SpinPoint F3 SATA-II 3.5" Hard Drive
GPU = AMD Radeon HD 7950
Op system = Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium "64bit" + SP1
OPTICAL DRIVE: Samsung SH-S222AB 22x DVD±RW DL & RAM SATA Optical Drive - Retail Box Black
Blue Tooth: Dynamode USB Dongle Bluetooth

Sorry I copied and pasted that from another site I had it on.

I will very soon be upgrading the RAM to 16GB DDR3 with around 2000Mhz on it.

Then in a few months hopefully (when the prices come down) I plan to get a SSD with around 250-500GB on it to run all programs.

Greedseed

Jul 29, 2019
I (well my site) got a CreeperHost server that we will be running it on.

Here is my current computer spec.

Case = Antec 900
CPU = AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 955 Black Edition 125W C3 (Socket AM3) Processor - Retail
Cooler = Artec Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
PSU = 500W Corsair Builder Series 500CX Power Supply
MOBO = Asus M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 880G Socket AM3 Onboard 128MB Memory DVI VGA HDMI Out ATX Motherboard
RAM = G-Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX Memory Kit CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.5v
HDD = 1TB Samsung HD103SJ SpinPoint F3 SATA-II 3.5" Hard Drive
GPU = AMD Radeon HD 7950
Op system = Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium "64bit" + SP1
OPTICAL DRIVE: Samsung SH-S222AB 22x DVD±RW DL & RAM SATA Optical Drive - Retail Box Black
Blue Tooth: Dynamode USB Dongle Bluetooth

Sorry I copied and pasted that from another site I had it on.

I will very soon be upgrading the RAM to 16GB DDR3 with around 2000Mhz on it.

Then in a few months hopefully (when the prices come down) I plan to get a SSD with around 250-500GB on it to run all programs.

A lot of problems here with the specs you got!

1. Memory limits and unstable Windows 7 ( 64Bit)
  • Starter: 8GB
  • Home Basic: 8GB
  • Home Premium: 16GB
  • Professional: 192GB
  • Enterprise: 192GB
  • Ultimate: 192GB
Look into Linux since windows home software or any non server OS is very unstable and will need multiple reboots of the whole system.

2.Ram with 2000Mhz
This means you will need to overlcock your RAM its Hz since every motherboard runs on 1333 stock! You need to overclock your motherboards buss to be able to get it above 1600. Then you will need to overclock your CPU as well to get it to follow and run STABLE! Aslo as you go up in Hz you will have to go lower in your latency's i see a CL 14-14-14-24 comming witch is worse to run server on since the responce time just went awfull.

This means you will need VERY good cooling! Your stock CPU cooler will not hold up and you will kill your hardware. Even with a good cooler this is a awfull setup for 24/7 runtime due to the unstable server hardware!

3.A 250Gb SSD or even 500GB is a bad choice!
buy a Serverdrive witch is build for 24/7 use for your OS to run on. Then get 2 - 4 Small SSD's (40 - 60GB) and put then into at least raid 0 or better 4 in raid 10.
This will increase your Drive speeds by almoste 2 and give MC a lot more room to work with. You dont need 200 Gig for mc ever! and this is cheaper as well!

Also look into a database system for all plugins that are compatible with it.

Hope you can use this info and do something with it. Take in account i do know my hardware. I am a overclocker, Computer modder, and server owner myself so i am not that douche that just wants to beat you down. Hope this post helps you out in picking the right server hardware

Reactions: Swaffer

Swaffer

Jul 29, 2019
Wish I had the money to build a dedicatef server machine.

As it is I took a look at the creeperhost website. The site looks cool, can anyone testify to their service?

I had a Nitrous Networks server which was ok, I couldn't seem to download from it though, like to back up a world save.

i'd consider renting a small hosted server again, especially if a few people wanted to chip in together.

Greedseed

Jul 29, 2019
there are many good hosts out there. Some you pay a bit more then others but that is dependant.

It is not all about specs! in my book the service has to awsome as well. What if your server is down, how long is ticket support, are they nice to talk with ... All that is a factor as well
But that might be not so needed for others.

I had bad experiance with hosts before since they could keep up. Bad uptimes. Awfull support and so on.
I cant talk for creeperhost since i have never used them before. But for my self i never buy hosts anymore. Host everything myself so if something is wrong i have only my self to blame
The good thing on this is. I only pay me network costs.

Free 200 slot teamspeak
Free MC server
Free website hosting
Free game servers

Its all Pro's and Con's

Edit:

Took a look at Creeperhost
I dont see any CPU specs on it with is not good in my book. The only CPU spec i find is Enderdragon where it states you get a full server with 2 L5420 CPU's witch are 4 Core 2.5Ghz and NO hyperthread

For 65 Pounds a month this is decent. I have seen more but worse as wel.

I do think the lower hosts are gone be crappy since they dont even send out any CPU spec info

Edit 2:
After a close look at the CPU's i dont see any dual QPI link support
Also the bus rate is only 7.5 wtich is LOW for a dual CPU supportive

i dont think this CPU can dual CPU. The lack of a dual QPI link will make it impossible for the CPU to talk to the other CPU and the NB at the same time. that is also the reason the BUS rate is only 7.5

Or they have a huge type on there site or they are cheating asses :p

Edit 3:

Oke after even more looking i found that the L5420 CPU's are PCI board compatible. Its a sorth of blade CPU witch makes so there is no need for a dual QPI. They talk with one and another threw the Memmory Hub. This makes these CPU's interaction very slow. But this are only 775 chips witch makes these prity old as well. The CPU's are from the beginning of 2008.

To add on top of that all the products of this age and line are End Of Life. Witch means of the server you are on DIE's you are screwed. Getting replacement hardware is gone be tricky since its not made anymore and probebly expensive. So they will need to move you witch takes time

So then the price of 65Pound is prity high !

Swaffer

Jul 29, 2019
wow thanks Greedseed, for such an in depth answer. I appreciate it a lot.

With your knowledge, the server you run must be pretty sweet... where can I apply ;-)

Hehe, basically the guys i'm involved with atm are claiming they have a ton of ram etc. but when I have a couple of things turned on, say a tree farm and fermenter, or cobble gen and mass fab the game crashes. I think it has something to do with tile entities in tubes I.e. @eloraam core tile.desc211 kind of thing but, well I build as responsibly as I can. i'm pretty much underwhelmed. If I do stick with them, they really need to get a server tech, someone like yourself to oversee the server maintenance. i'm pretty sure it's not enough to just cram in more Ram and.hope for the best. I highly doubt all that ram is even being used.

I know this a lityle off topic, please don't flame. Feel free to PM me if you prefer.

Maybe I will be looking for a different server. i'd be keen to play with people off of these forums. Especially I want something stable for building complex machines and I might do some videos of them.

Ys
Swaffer

Rob

Jul 29, 2019
there are many good hosts out there. Some you pay a bit more then others but that is dependant.

I dont see any CPU specs on it with is not good in my book. The only CPU spec i find is Enderdragon where it states you get a full server with 2 L5420 CPU's witch are 4 Core 2.5Ghz and NO hyperthread

Why would hyper threading matter seeing as Minecraft can only use one core(2 if you include the half done multi threading)? Its all about the Ghz mostly.

Greedseed

Jul 29, 2019
Why would hyper threading matter seeing as Minecraft can only use one core(2 if you include the half done multi threading)? Its all about the Ghz mostly.

It will if you run a decent MC server. Getting some plugins or aplications that can spread loads over multi threads. We use 4 threads for our server and that is not including the Database server. Website (Apache) and little things like teamspeak, file server .... so if you have 2 core's or 4 that will mater in the long run.

Its about the fact that that hosts ask 65 pound for a product. Getting info of the product is a must. So if you pay 65 pound for 4 threads or 65 pound for 8 threas. That is a difference.

Also the whole statement i made above is not only about Hyperthreading. Only a small part of it.
I was stripping down the product into its components and that includes CPU specs and Hyperthread is a big part of a intel CPU

Rob

Jul 29, 2019
It will if you run a decent MC server. Getting some plugins or aplications that can spread loads over multi threads. We use 4 threads for our server and that is not including the Database server. Website (Apache) and little things like teamspeak, file server .... so if you have 2 core's or 4 that will mater in the long run.

Its about the fact that that hosts ask 65 pound for a product. Getting info of the product is a must. So if you pay 65 pound for 4 threads or 65 pound for 8 threas. That is a difference.

Also the whole statement i made above is not only about Hyperthreading. Only a small part of it.
I was stripping down the product into its components and that includes CPU specs and Hyperthread is a big part of a intel CPU

We have a 8 core server and only every have Minecraft using 2 and can still hold 60 people. If i recall right the enderdragon is a end of line server CreeperHost are getting rid off but I maybe wrong, I never use MC/game server hosts mainly cause I can get a i7 2600, 32gb of RAM, 10TB of bandwidth for £50 a month.

Greedseed

Jul 29, 2019
i dont say the not having Multo thread its bad. I am just laying out the facts of what they are selling for what price :p

octarockstudio

Jul 29, 2019
thank u all for this info feed the beast will run fine on it . there be more info on the ftb server for nz when ftb comes out :)

also i working on my own mod for glass blowing in mc look glass blowing up on youtube it give a ider waht i going to add to mc it will chage how u make glass and cool ways of use it .

Reactions: Swaffer