What exactly is FTB BETA A?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

felinoel

Jul 29, 2019
The Lexicon looks kind of like the Enchanting Table. It converts IC2 Copper Ore to Thermal Expansion Copper Ore, so on and so forth.

If you're NOW referring to the EE2 Condenser, then you're out of luck. EE3 won't have the Condenser. Nor the Collector.
Now? I was kind of talking about them both before.
Woah seriously? EE3 won't have the condenser..? What else is there in EE if not the condenser..? I mean I can understand why they would take it out, but it is beyond helpful for building materials...

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
Now? I was kind of talking about them both before.
Woah seriously? EE3 won't have the condenser..? What else is there in EE if not the condenser..? I mean I can understand why they would take it out, but it is beyond helpful for building materials...

Yea, the condenser was useful, the creators thought it was too useful.

There'll be EMC, some method of transporting EMC other than Klein Stars with BC Pipes or RP2 Pneumatics, a transmutation similar to EE1's but with a Philosopher's Stone (well, Minium Stone) with durability, and soon to be a transmutation system.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
OP is, every time he mentions condensers or thaumatic duplicators. The changes are on similiar scale.

Ah. But aren't we talking about converting from FTBBAA to DW20 or MC? That's from 1.4.2 to 1.4.6. Still, agreed, the configs are probably quite messed up.

felinoel

Jul 29, 2019
Yea, the condenser was useful, the creators thought it was too useful.

There'll be EMC, some method of transporting EMC other than Klein Stars with BC Pipes or RP2 Pneumatics, a transmutation similar to EE1's but with a Philosopher's Stone (well, Minium Stone) with durability, and soon to be a transmutation system.
Sounds horrible...

I'll say it one more time.

You are very unlikely to get a stable world by taking the world files from the world you just made, and putting them in a new copy of mindcrack or direwolf. This is not a reasonable thing to attempt. The sort of requirement in scripting to convert the old item numbers to new represent far more hours of work then most sane people would be willing to spend.

You can either get the hopes of your players up, and then disappoint them, or have them strip down to vanilla resources and ores, write down the net worth of each player, and then award it back to them on the new server. X stacks of iron, Y stacks of diamond, Z stacks of tin... each person restricted to a single 17 slot inventory, no tools, no armor, no enchantments and turn them loose with the bonus supplies in a new world.

I know this sounds crewel, but you are not carefully nursing a server from 1.2.5 through all the patches, one small change at a time. You are not making small changes and translations. You are talking about months of changes all in one hammerblow.
No this is FTB BETA A, a 1.4.2 server.

You can't award the players their worth in what they've done in Millenaire, Millenaire is an RTS where you build up NPC towns and send them to attack other towns.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
I'm thinking back up the server, try to upgrade, hope it works but don't expect it to, and if it causes a lot of corruption, either start a new world or revert to the backup?

felinoel

Jul 29, 2019
I'm thinking back up the server, try to upgrade, hope it works but don't expect it to, and if it causes a lot of corruption, either start a new world or revert to the backup?
I often make backups, yeah but I think I would rather do the Tech/Ultimate pack...

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
Ok now I am super lost. What does Millenaire have to do with FTB BETA A?

Option 1) Wait and hope there is a conversion method from BETA A to ULTIMATE when it comes out.
Option 2) Cut your losses and When the Ultimate pack comes out reboot your world.
Option 3) Stay with BETA A and never get Red Power

BETA A will not be updated, it was a BETA pack in as such it was never meant as a stable build to keep on your server. It was made known and their are posts all over the forums about the BETA A pack not being updated past it's current state.

Those are the choices.

Many Condensers were hurt and/or killed in the writing of this post

felinoel

Jul 29, 2019
Ok now I am super lost. What does Millenaire have to do with FTB BETA A?
It is in my server.

Option 1) Wait and hope there is a conversion method from BETA A to ULTIMATE when it comes out.
Option 2) Cut your losses and When the Ultimate pack comes out reboot your world.
Option 3) Stay with BETA A and never get Red Power
Yup, looks like it. Though I doubt I would go with 3.

BETA A will not be updated, it was a BETA pack in as such it was never meant as a stable build to keep on your server. It was made known and their are posts all over the forums about the BETA A pack not being updated past it's current state.
I was brand new to FTB, was not a member of this message board at the time. The people who use my server recommended it.

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
From what I've heard there will be a converter to go from the old beta pack to the new ultimate pack, you'll still lose out on the new terrain generation of course (and many new ores with it), but your items and stuff should be fine if it does what it says. I would still recommend starting a new world even if there is a converter though.

Don't take this as a "100% certain there will be a converter" though. This is what I've read and heard from other people, but even devs sometimes decide to drop things because they take too much time. It's better to have only little hope and be positively surprised than have high hopes crushed because someone changes some plans.

felinoel

Jul 29, 2019
From what I've heard there will be a converter to go from the old beta pack to the new ultimate pack, you'll still lose out on the new terrain generation of course (and many new ores with it), but your items and stuff should be fine if it does what it says. I would still recommend starting a new world even if there is a converter though.

Don't take this as a "100% certain there will be a converter" though. This is what I've read and heard from other people, but even devs sometimes decide to drop things because they take too much time. It's better to have only little hope and be positively surprised than have high hopes crushed because someone changes some plans.
Ehh... any idea when the new Ultimate Modpack comes out then? If I am going to wipe my world I don't want to leave my players hanging for too long, plus I can't have the Ultimate Modpack coming out in a new Minecraft version when Millenaire isn't up to date lol

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
Ehh... any idea when the new Ultimate Modpack comes out then? If I am going to wipe my world I don't want to leave my players hanging for too long, plus I can't have the Ultimate Modpack coming out in a new Minecraft version when Millenaire isn't up to date lol

I'm just as in blue as anyone else. I've read it's this weekend, next weekend or anywhere next month (January). So basically no one really knows.

I understand you don't want to leave players in an old world which will be deleted, but if you're going to delete I think you can go with the Mindcrack pack which should have all the ores and up to date terrain generation (I think DW20's pack also has, but I'm not sure) and shouldn't have trouble being changed to Ultimate.
I can't make any promises on that either though, no one can (unless you are prepared to take the word of a dev for it or something, but I personally don't. No offense, but I know how things can go with modding, things can turn out differently than expected).

Personally I've started a Mindcrack world for my SSP (that's what I play most) in the hope it'll be Ultimate compatible. My reasoning: With Minecraft (and its mods) there is always more new stuff on the horizon, you've got to just start playing and hope for the best (and take loses as they come), because otherwise you're only waiting and never actually playing.

felinoel

Jul 29, 2019
I'm just as in blue as anyone else. I've read it's this weekend, next weekend or anywhere next month (January). So basically no one really knows.

I understand you don't want to leave players in an old world which will be deleted, but if you're going to delete I think you can go with the Mindcrack pack which should have all the ores and up to date terrain generation (I think DW20's pack also has, but I'm not sure) and shouldn't have trouble being changed to Ultimate.
I can't make any promises on that either though, no one can (unless you are prepared to take the word of a dev for it or something, but I personally don't. No offense, but I know how things can go with modding, things can turn out differently than expected).

Personally I've started a Mindcrack world for my SSP (that's what I play most) in the hope it'll be Ultimate compatible. My reasoning: With Minecraft (and its mods) there is always more new stuff on the horizon, you've got to just start playing and hope for the best (and take loses as they come), because otherwise you're only waiting and never actually playing.
If I weren't using Millenaire, I would be fine with chancing it, but I would rather not have to wipe a world where people are midway through the second or third quest chains and for all I know, by the time Ultimate modpack comes out people will be there then...

damnedsky

Jul 29, 2019
@felinoel Just for now, you should keep going with what you have installed and tell the players they can go about their business. However you should take into account this:

1. The FTB Beta A pack for 1.4.2 will be taken OUT of the FTB Launcher in the next month(in case you or your players actually use the Launcher to get on the server). A way to avoid that is to import that FTB instance into MultiMC.

2. As the others have said, there is no guaranty that the 1.4.6 IDs will work fine with the 1.4.2 IDs. The FTB Mod Pack team has made some changes and also some of the mods condensed their IDs(Thermal Expansion for example). There was indeed talk about a script that could convert 1.4.2 worlds into 1.4.6 worlds but that never happened.

So if I were you I would keep the Beta pack installed and wait for FTB Ultimate to come out. It is very possible it'll come out for Minecraft 1.4.7( from the frequency of the Minecraft updates )

Cheers!

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
LIES AND SLANDER.

I have a test (SSP) world that was created in the Beta A pack. This test world contains every single block, machine, and item from every single mod included in Beta A. (Alright, I lied. About 98% of items.) I copied the world save over to my dw20 and Mindcrack installation. Both modpacks loaded the world completely fine, no crashes, no blocks turning into something else. Obviously blocks from mods not included in a pack disappeared from the world. The only issue was with Portal Gun - the world blocks (portal spawners, aerial faith plates, cube vents...) disappeared. Portal guns in chests however remained.

So yes, if you're playing the beta mod pack, want to upgrade to 1.4.6 (and get RedPower), and you don't mind not having Mystcraft (Mindcrack) or GregTech and TF (dw20), feel free to upgrade to one of the packs and transfer your map over.

DISCLAIMER: I only tried this on SSP. I haven't tested doing the upgrade with actual connected pipes and running machines, just a bunch of blocks in the world. There are still things that could go wrong (so absolutely make a backup of your world), but if something goes wrong, it won't be ID conflicts.

Reactions: KoreRekon

Morvelaira

Jul 29, 2019
It's still not an exact process. I have been in the process this week - or rather my people have been - of upgrading our Feed the City server from the 1.4.2 Beta A pack to a newer pack. It hasn't been a smooth transition - there have been crashes and weirdness aplenty ad we stumbled through things. But in the end the transition appears to be a success. So its doable, if folks know what they are doing.

Feydaway

Jul 29, 2019
So, felinoel? Did it work? Did you upgrade from beta to DW20 or Mindcrack? I'm curious myself what will happen. It may be a good way to test if an upgrade to ultimate will be possible.

felinoel

Jul 29, 2019
So, felinoel? Did it work? Did you upgrade from beta to DW20 or Mindcrack? I'm curious myself what will happen. It may be a good way to test if an upgrade to ultimate will be possible.
I was convinced to wait for the Tech/Ultimate modpack... /:
Which sucks because Millenaire just came out with a new culture and I can't upgrade... the Byzantines look fun too...