What does YOUR Power Room look like?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Meldiron, here's some food for thought:

Since you're essentially getting unlimited free tin from centrifuging lava, consider making IC2 tin cells and filling them with lava. A lava cell in a boiler has ten times the burn value of a plain old bucket of lava. Meaning you will need 90% less lava to keep your boiler going at full power. Since (if I understood it right) more than 50% of the boiler's power goes toward maintaining itself in your setup, you'll probably be (at least!) doubling the amount of lava available for centrifuging. Which in turn should generate more extra tin than you're using for cells. Plus everything else.

I've done no math on this nor tried it out, but it occurred to me that this just make a broken setup even more deliciously broken :p

Codex

Jul 29, 2019
Meh, my friend and I have a plain old nether geothermal set up. thinking of setting up a boiler though.

Meldiron

Jul 29, 2019
Meldiron, here's some food for thought:

Since you're essentially getting unlimited free tin from centrifuging lava, consider making IC2 tin cells and filling them with lava. A lava cell in a boiler has ten times the burn value of a plain old bucket of lava. Meaning you will need 90% less lava to keep your boiler going at full power. Since (if I understood it right) more than 50% of the boiler's power goes toward maintaining itself in your setup, you'll probably be (at least!) doubling the amount of lava available for centrifuging. Which in turn should generate more extra tin than you're using for cells. Plus everything else.

I've done no math on this nor tried it out, but it occurred to me that this just make a broken setup even more deliciously broken :p
Indeed you could, in fact, you would only use 40% of the tin generated. So by doing so you'd double the output of the other metals and still increase tin output with 20% :p
It's really a profitable setup, the main problem for me is that the centrifuges are hard to get compact, and feeding the centrifuges propperly is hard without RP2 because of the scale. You need 3 centrifuges for every 72MJ you make lava of, four times that if you feed those lava makers netherrack, feed the boiler with cells and you'll double that number again. And feeding 24(+3 for pyrite dust) centrifuges with items have proven to be quite tricky. The nice part though, they only consume 5EU/t each, so powerconsumtion isn't too bad (note, if you plan on powering the centrifuges with geothermal generators it will drop output with about 25%). Going to post a picture and a blueprint if i get such a machine up and running propperly, but currently it doesn't want to play nicely.

And yeah, you've probably understood it right, but it takes exactly half power (or possibly less) since you don't have to fuel it constantly (considering you aren't trying to raise the temperature, just keep it stable). So personaly i use 9 of 18 industrial steam engines (72MU of 144MJ) to keep the boiler warm.

Meldiron

Jul 29, 2019
### Wall of text! ###

I present to you, the FTB! (Fuelless Towershaped Boiler)
(click for larger images!)

Dimensions: 5x5x8 (or 5x5x11)
Output: 72MJ/t
Fuel consumtpion: 0 (when fully heated)

Boiler module:
36 high pressure boiler tanks
9 solid fuel fireboxes
18 industrial steam engines
16 levers
1 liquid transposer
1 aqueous accumulator
2 buckets of water
1 wooden pipe
1 item transport pipe (preferably gold if you're going to be warming the boiler using this system)
1 autarchick gate (preferably iron or higher)
1 low power BC engine (stirling or peat, only needed for startup)
4 golden pipes

Lava module:

4 magma crucibles
2 igneous extruders
2 buckets of lava
2 buckets of water
7 redstone conduits
3 golden pipes
5 smooth stone transport pipes
2 wooden transport pipes
2 Autarchick gates (or redstone engines + torches/levers)
1 chest

Lava module:

Layer one:

Make a U shape made by 5 item transport pipes, 2 wooden transport pipes then place a chest between the wooden pipes. Add the autarchick gates to the wooden pipes and set them to "redstone signal off = energy pulse".

Layer two:

Place one ignious intruder on each of the pipes connected to the wooden pipes so that the igneous extruders point outwards. Then place a magma crucible to the left and right of both igneous intruder, make sure those too point outwards (same way as the igneous intruder). Then place 3 golden liquid transport pipes between the two rows of machine blocks. Now configure the inputs and outputs of the igneous extruders and magma crucibles so that the igneous extruders output to the left and right. Then configure the magma crucibles so that they output to the back, input from beneath and a second input from the ignious extruder (left or right depending on placement).

Layer three:

Make another U shape, this time with 7 redstone conduits, this completes the lava module.
Now add a single redstone conduit to the side as shown in the picture. Then add the low powered BC engine in the middle and add a wooden pipe for it to connect to, then place another item transport pipe out from the wooden pipe (preferably gold). Now place an autarchick gate (preferably iron) and set it up to space in inventory = energy pulse & space in inventory = redstone signal. Finaly use 3 gold liquid pipes to bring the pipe up next to the item pipe (two of them on layer two)

Layer four:

Place 9 solid fuel fireboxes in a square over the U shaped conductors. Place another liquid transport pipe on top of the existing. Place a liquid transposer on top of the item transport pipe that is stickig out. Use 5 redstone conduits to run power from the one sticking out and over to the liquid transposer. Configure the liquid transposer to have an output behind towards the boiler, one input towards the liquid transport pipe and another input towards the item transport pipe. Edit: Also disable redstone controll on the liquid transposer.

Layer five to eight:

Place four layers of high pressure boiler tanks on top of the firebox square, run redstone conduits up along the corner closest to the liquid transposer and attach 8 industrial steam engines to those conduits. Place a lever behind each of the eight engines and add a 9. engin to the other corner as shown in the picture. Finally, add an aqueous accumulator, configure it to output into the boiler and place two water blocks next to it (the pipes are just for better visibility). Edit: Also disable the redstone controll on the liquid transposer.

Want to make even more lava and use less fuel on startup? Then add another lava module directly on top of the boiler, add the extra industrial steam engines to the opposite corner of those already added, pipe the lava down to the liquid transposer and your boiler will end up with almost cutting the cost of heating up in half (5 stacks of lava cells vs 9 stacks of lava cells).

Now, a nice little trick for heating up the boiler is to attach a wooden pipe to the firebox (need to move some conduits with the current design), then place an autarchick gate on it and set it to "inventory empty = energy pulse". Now attach a chest to the wooden pipe and fill it with the fuel of your preference (lava cells reccomended). This will make the boiler get fueled from the chest if there it's out of fuel, gradually reducing the external fuel used until it uses no fuel at all except for what the boiler produces itself.

This became quite the wall of text, so if someone could make a video guide that's a bit easier to follow then this guide then that would be great xD

EDIT: Forgot to mentoin that you need to dissable the redstone controll for the liquid transposer and the aqueous accumulator.

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
### Wall of text! ###

Thanks for that! took me a bit to figure it out but I have it working like a champ now. The hardest part was getting the liquid transposer working- you should mention to load it with empty buckets :)

It appears to me that layer one is unnecessary (and the repeat of it at the top). Am I missing something?

Edit- also, is there enough power to attach a few more steam engines to it once it's working and fully heated up?

Meldiron

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for that! took me a bit to figure it out but I have it working like a champ now. The hardest part was getting the liquid transposer working- you should mention to load it with empty buckets :)

It appears to me that layer one is unnecessary (and the repeat of it at the top). Am I missing something?

Edit- also, is there enough power to attach a few more steam engines to it once it's working and fully heated up?
Yeah i should, i've missed quite a few important steps in my guide so i think i'll try to make a better version of it that is a bit more compact and easier to read, possibly a video guide.

Layer one is only there to enable the use of netherrack, i were playing around with using an existing boiler to start another boiler, but i've realized that the netherrack feature generaly isn't needed and only take space and resources. Originaly i used a more compact build which enabled me to put the water supply under the boiler as well, going to change to this one in the updated guide seeing as it's easier and cheaper to make and the ability to feed it netherrack isn't all that usefull exept in special situations.

The boiler can handle 18 industrial steam engines right from the moment it start producing steam (100 degrees afaik), the guide was a bit unclear on that too really, on the oposite side of the boiler i have a mirrored engine settup that is my energy output from the boiler.

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
That's good, I can re-use my autoarchic gates, those are kind of a pain to make :)

I was wondering about adding more engines because the 18 were running full power when the steam was only halfway in the boiler. Once it hit something over 800 degrees, the steam filled up all the way. I'll hook up a few more and see if it starts dragging down the steam in my boiler.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
That's good, I can re-use my autoarchic gates, those are kind of a pain to make :)

I was wondering about adding more engines because the 18 were running full power when the steam was only halfway in the boiler. Once it hit something over 800 degrees, the steam filled up all the way. I'll hook up a few more and see if it starts dragging down the steam in my boiler.
18 is the maximum, if you put more than that some will run at less power but overall power is the same.

Antaioz

Jul 29, 2019
My power system is mostly manual, I recharge TE redstone cells at a central location and then redistribute them if one becomes empty, I like the feeling of replacing a battery once in a while :)

Oh, and my recharge station?
http://i.imgur.com/tvff5h.png

That's right, thats a whopping 7x7x8 Railcraft tank (max size with default configs, i beleive) full to the brim of lava, thats 6,272 Buckets of lava.

TE magma crucibles have nothing on a BC pump, four redstone engines, some railcraft, mystcraft, and the nether.

Oh, the tank also runs my industrialcraft power, along with some solar panels that became obsolete a while ago.
http://i.imgur.com/Qb7wDh.png?1

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, opportunity for one question that I've always had but never got around to test -

On your cell charging station, if there are no cells present, or only completely full cells, do the magmatic engines throttle down automatically (after the conduits fill up their buffer too)?

I know they do when linked to TE machines via conduits, but with cells I'm not so sure.

Antaioz

Jul 29, 2019
They do, but I mostly use a lever, because of the few times I've left them running they do go orange, and build up heat and energy, but I think their time taken to bonk out is WAAAAY too long - like, hours.

their output listed does go down, but i have no idea if their fuel use drops with it, not easy to monitor that tank when its constantly full...

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Fuel use does go down, that's the whole point. And by the way, if they overheat they won't explode, they'll just shut down and need to be whacked with a wrench before they'll start up again. Just in case you were afraid to lose your tank :p

Antaioz

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I knew all that, I just wasn't sure if the fuel use went down as the 'output' went down, because internal energy still climbs, and 'energy' usually requires fuel.
If they still used fuel I was saying it takes ages for them to shutdown which would've meant lots of fuel loss. but if they don't then It doesnt matter.

Still, a lever is simpler than a wrench, but if I leave them running atleast I don't lose any of my -near- infinite lava :)

CTMiner

Jul 29, 2019
One of my (existing be my creative world crashed and i lost it) power rooms consists of a Quantum Generator, and a few ultimate solar panels. My current one if four hybrid solar panels hooked up to four electric motors, a giant factorization platform, and a couple solor panels (IDK what kind) to power an induction furnace. They're spread out between buildings, and they're all small.

Jul 29, 2019
Heh, looks like I need to start to read up on the new railcraft stuff! I'm still using my 5 advanced solars to power my ic2 setup (1 macerator 4 clockers, 2 furnaces both with 2 clockers, a compressor and an extractor. From that same setup i have 3 electrical engines that i have on demand for centrifuge and rolling machine. In a flat world age I've also made the mistake of making a 40x42 quarry, at layer 90. I thankfully have recently made 2 recyclers so I'm going to have a lot of scrap :D
EDIT: Just ask for pics if you must ;P

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
I finally finished building my gravitation suit. Holy cow that thing can completely drain a mfsu in no time flat... And i doubt as fast as it burns energy there's 20 mins of flight time... My solar panels aren't going to keep up, going to have to figure out a better source of IC energy now.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
I finally finished building my gravitation suit. Holy cow that thing can completely drain a mfsu in no time flat... And i doubt as fast as it burns energy there's 20 mins of flight time... My solar panels aren't going to keep up, going to have to figure out a better source of IC energy now.
Well, you should just make the ultimate solar helmet and you won't need to recharge your armor or tools.

Recon

Jul 29, 2019
Ok since I just finished my new steam boiler today, I figured I should participate in this thread by showing off my new base that I've been building the last few days.

First, it all starts out at a remote oil well. I'll find a fresh oil well in the desert, and build a platform above it like this:

0110.jpg

It has a mini Logistics Pipes network which tries to keep an empty bucket in the Liquid Transposer. The Liquid Transposer takes oil from the Pump and puts it in a bucket, then sticks that bucket of oil in the Ender Chest.
A World Anchor keeps the whole thing going when I'm away.
A Redstone Power Cell set to 1MJ/t keeps the Logi network running in addition to the Pump.

Next, back home in my basement, I have a big 5x5x5 oil tank that holds 2000 buckets. The filling is performed by this setup:
0211.jpg

Its got another mini Logistics Pipes network, only this one tries to keep a bucket of oil in the Liquid Transposer.
That empties the bucket of oil and pipes it into the tank. The empty bucket then goes back in the Ender Chest, at which point the oil well picks it up and fills it again, and repeats until the oil well is empty.

Next, the oil is pumped out of the big tank, and into a Refinery that sits beneath the floor. This then pumps the resulting fuel into the massive 7x7x7 fuel tank that holds 5488 buckets.
I've left the floor uncovered to show you where things are routed.

0310.jpg

The fuel is then pumped out of the fuel tank, and under the floor again and into the Steam Boiler. This is a High Pressure boiler, that has 9 liquid fireboxes and 36 high-pressure boiler cubes.
It produces enough steam to run 18 Industrial Steam Engines which are stuck to all four sides of the boiler. There are only 6 levers which activate the engines.
These all feed into the central energy network that has 16 Energy Cell charging spots, and also powers various Buildcraft devices in the base.

Here is the boiler viewed from the other side.
0410.jpg

Notice the energy conduit running up into the ceiling and forming a charging station.
This feeds power into the mid level of the base, where most of the crafting takes place.
0510.jpg

Up here, you can see the majority of the crafting area. It has the walls of barrels containing base ingredients, as well as a complete IC2 power station and core machine setup. There is also a UU-Matter production line here.
0610.jpg

Here's a close up view of the IC2 station. You can see the Nuke, which has 3 reactor chambers attached to it and produces 160EU/t when switched on.
The output goes to the MFSU on the right, and the Mass Fabricator on the left. The Fab does not drain from the MFSU, which is intentional.
On the right, there are the four base machines (Induction Furnace, Rotary Macerator, Singularity Compressor, Centrifuge Extractor) which face the crafting area.
On the back side of those is an array of four Recyclers, each with 5 Overclocker Upgrades in them.
The Logistics Pipes network here tries to fill the Recyclers with Cobblestone, and provides Scrap out of the sides.
On the left, the Logi pipes try to put Scrap in the bottom of the Mass Fabricator, and UU-Matter into the chest.
0710.jpg

Above the Nuke area, the Logi pipes then go to the top level of the base, where they pull Cobblestone from an array of Barrels along the wall. The chest in the middle holds Scrap as a buffer, from the Recyclers.
This means I can dump huge amounts of Cobble into the row of barrels from remote Quarries. I haven't set up an Ender Chest system for that yet but its on the list of things to do.
0810.jpg

Lastly, here is my main crafting area, where all the important stuff is stored, with the main idea being easy access to the central crafting table.
Note the use of Wrath Lamps throughout the base, as well as Sandstone floors, which have a high reflective rating, making everything bright and preventing mob spawning with a minimal number of lights.
0910.jpg

That's pretty much it so far. The top level has an enchanting area, and access to the roof via steel door and obsidian pressure plate.
There is also an array of solar panels on the roof connected to the MFSU via tin cable along the side of the building. This provides the EU necessary to run the four advanced IC2 machines at idle without draining the MFSU.
It may seem strange given the presence of a Nuke, but this is important because with the World Anchor, those four machines running at idle will drain a fully charged MFSU in only 13 hours and 53 minutes.
Here's what the base looks like from above.
1010.jpg