What do you think about the new launcher (with pictures)?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

How do you feel about the new launcher

• Total voters

Darth Sith

Jul 29, 2019
Opinion: In my opinion the new launcher looks freaking amazing, I love the style and it blends in with the website but with great visuals comes a price. Hopefully the launcher is optimized and run's as smoothly as a baby's butt.

Early design of the launcher :

TKpnznz.jpg

New design of the launcher (ModPacks):

launcher-v2-insomnia-2.png
launcher-v2-insomnia.png

New launcher features:
  • New sleek look to match the sites new theme
  • The whole launcher was built from the ground up
  • Easy to navigate, clearly see what mod packs are available all in one area
  • More information on all the packs
  • Resize the launcher to fit your screen
  • You will be able to customise the skin of the launcher to best suit you
  • All mods downloaded will be saved in one place. (Unlike before, where you would download a mod more than once if using multiple packs that had the same mod)
  • You will be able to pick and choose your mods for the packs. All mods can be downloaded individually, instead of just one big zip file.
  • It will be easier to add Private Server packs, Just send a mod list and configs. The launcher will do the rest.
  • The ability to copy a modpack instance will be available, for example- if you play on two Unleashed server that had different configs you can have an instance for both servers.
  • A vanilla instance will be on the launcher, also Snapshots will be available as and when they are released

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
From the screenshots, that looks pretty slick! Presentation is a lot cleaner and straightforward. It definitely helps with getting people to look at more than just the top 3-4 packs in the list, which is a great boon to third party packs and lesser advertised ones.

Before I form a more in-depth opinion I want to get some hands-on time with it though.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
I wish they'd go for function over form instead of the other way around. We still don't have the possibility of server owners to push private config packs to their users. This thing alone would solve all the "what mods to include and which settings to use" problem once and for all.

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
I wish they'd go for function over form instead of the other way around. We still don't have the possibility of server owners to push private config packs to their users. This thing alone would solve all the "what mods to include and which settings to use" problem once and for all.

You may be interested in the information from the article, then! (Bold emphasis mine)
Features:
  • New sleek look to match the sites new theme
  • The whole launcher was built from the ground up
  • Easy to navigate, clearly see what mod packs are available all in one area
  • More information on all the packs
  • Resize the launcher to fit your screen
  • You will be able to customise the skin of the launcher to best suit you
  • All mods downloaded will be saved in one place. (Unlike before, where you would download a mod more than once if using multiple packs that had the same mod)
  • You will be able to pick and choose your mods for the packs. All mods can be downloaded individually, instead of just one big zip file.
  • It will be easier to add Private Server packs, Just send a mod list and configs. The launcher will do the rest.
  • The ability to copy a modpack instance will be available, for example- if you play on two Unleashed server that had different configs you can have an instance for both servers.
  • A vanilla instance will be on the launcher, also Snapshots will be available as and when they are released

Edit: Also, to clarify based on a conversation with slowpoke101 and unv_annihilator on stream right now, the cacheing (save in one place) and "pick and choose" are a little different than listed there, but we'll get more solid details as we go along.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Looking forward to those changes Vauthil. Hoping they'll work as smooth as they need be for SMP players!

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
Don't hate it, but I certainly don't love it.

I just want to run the launcher and click the launch button.
Everything else is just stuff I really don't care about.

I would be happy with just a text list of the modpacks and a launch button really.

Reactions: Brilliance

Riuga

Jul 29, 2019
The first version of launcher v2 was pretty nice.

the latest pictures of it (and the website) are just plain digusting. Semi-pink text everywhere. Plus that picture of Applied Energistics is a disgrace (Artist thinks its that low tech)

Darth Sith

Jul 29, 2019
This sounds like an interesting idea, hopefully they'll and it soon.

Greylocke

Jul 29, 2019
For server play I actually just use multi-MC, much cleaner interface and it doesn't suddenly update when it shouldn't :)
MultiMC 4 is not 1.6.x compatible. MultiMC 5 will be, but the original dev has taken a hiatus while a couple others continue the project.

My guess is that FTB's launcher drops long before MultiMC 5 does.