What do you dislike about public servers?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Ballisti

Jul 29, 2019
Ever tried playing a public FTB server? Sometimes the experience is less than idealistic. I'd love to know some of your quarrels you have with them!
For Example:
  • Can't find a server that doesn't have horrible lag
  • Too many banned items,
  • Doesn't have the mod you want
  • Problem with something other players do
This would help me greatly; I would love to hear even the pettiest of issues!

RenzosNips

Jul 29, 2019
My only (and last) time using a public server that I was not admin of went terrible.

I was looking to teach a friend modded Minecraft, after a year of her playing on console. Thus, I settled with DW20. I found a relatively lagless server, and off we went. The next two days went well, and our little "village" was underway. I log on the next day to find that all our stuff had been stolen. Annoyed, I message one of the admins, and asked him to take action. He came over, saw the log of who stole the stuff, and then told us... Oh well. No action to be taken, even though it was one of the "top" rules on the server not to steal.
I promptly told my friend that she would be using my more complex personal pack, and I would run a small server again. Haven't looked back since.

TL;DR
My problems with public servers
  • Lazy admins
  • Stealing / Griefing from other players
  • LAZY ADMINS

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Stealing and griefing, yeah. This is probably the biggest reason. You are kinda forced to build your bases kilometers away from spawn and even then it's not really safe.
On the other hand, heavy grief protection is not really nice either, for instance towns with small bounded properties. But I never was on a server of this kind.

Reactions: mattp_12

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
My only (and last) time using a public server that I was not admin of went terrible.

I was looking to teach a friend modded Minecraft, after a year of her playing on console. Thus, I settled with DW20. I found a relatively lagless server, and off we went. The next two days went well, and our little "village" was underway. I log on the next day to find that all our stuff had been stolen. Annoyed, I message one of the admins, and asked him to take action. He came over, saw the log of who stole the stuff, and then told us... Oh well. No action to be taken, even though it was one of the "top" rules on the server not to steal.
I promptly told my friend that she would be using my more complex personal pack, and I would run a small server again. Haven't looked back since.

TL;DR
My problems with public servers
  • Lazy admins
  • Stealing / Griefing from other players
  • LAZY ADMINS

I think you forgot to mention Lazy Admins... :D

Also people who have no business being admins in the first place, people who refuse to revoke OP from buddies who are abusing it, and those who think they'll make money running a server without having to do any work.

This is the kind of Admin I am (Unix/Novell since the 80s, Microsoft/IBM OS/2 through the 90s):

I like #10 the best :D

If I ever came across a workstation logged on during break or lunch I'd change the user's password so they'd have to see me to get back in to work.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't played many public servers; like others on this thread, I run a private server right from the same comp I use for my client and just play with anybody I feel like - whitelists are great.
The issue I have with most/large public servers is that there really isn't any teamwork, unless you bring your friends, in which case you may as well just run your own server. I mean, you log on, you run into the wilderness, you build a base, you develop the base... Nowhere in there is there really any cooperation. It's like SSP + a public chat, and then risk of horrible griefing. :p

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I hate the at times whacky restrictions, had one server outright ban hoppers... I can understand preventing placement (aparently they lag hard when spammed). Makes crafting things tricky.
Also servers that are stingy with protected space. You know the ones that only give you 4 Mytown chunks ONLY and forever, if you are lucky you can buy more with real money. Gives no incentive fo build cool things.
Also those servers that require you to vote on their listing site usually for some reward, usually diamonds or some in game currency.
Also another peeve, servers that gate "powerful" items behind said currency. Usually quarries and chunk loaders but ive heard of mod entry blocks being gated too. So before you have decided the servers worth they have made you vote favorably for them more times than you would.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
The real question is:
Is there anything good about public server?
Well, if it's a small group of honorable people who come on at regular times, yes. You can get a small base going, work together, etc. etc. Unfortunately, it's nearly impossible to find something like that; your only alternative is to make/rent your own server for yourself and your friends, but that requires effort and your friends may not even like modded MC ( :mad: ).

Last edited:
Reactions: Plasmaboo

RamblinWreckGT

Jul 29, 2019
The people!

Seriously, though. I have no interest in playing Minecraft with anyone unless it was a small group of people I was already friends with, and only if we were working as a team towards specific goals. I only ever end up playing with my girlfriend because I have no interest in playing with other people.