waterproof wooden pipes pulling out from tanks and other pipe mechanichs?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

wertyujh

Jul 29, 2019
Hey, i was playing around on a server today and i tried to pull out lava from a tank to 20 industrial centrifuges. I had 4 redstone engines on one valve, and all golden pipe. this was not cutting it. I tried to search on some wikis, but they had nothing. does anyone know how much liquid per tick a waterproof pipe can pull out per mj on it or something like that?

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I think your issue might be more with using redstone engines and less with what pipes your using.

Also I hear Liquidducts blow all them BC pipe setups away.

wertyujh

Jul 29, 2019
hmm, i tried using magmatic engines, but that did not fix anything because it stopped, the pipe could not use enough mj/t. and i will try liquiducts!

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I've become a liquiduct convert. Once I get to the point where I can actually craft them regularly, I pretty much use them exclusively for piping. Being able to turn them on with nothing more than a redstone signal (as opposed to requiring yet-another-running-engine) is a big plus for me, as is being able to run them side-by-side if I like. I'm sure that people with a lot more demanding needs than mine can go on and on about efficiency concerns, but honestly the only drawback for me is that they're more expensive to make, and take copper...which I never seem to have enough of.[DOUBLEPOST=1358369600][/DOUBLEPOST]
hmm, i tried using magmatic engines, but that did not fix anything because it stopped, the pipe could not use enough mj/t. and i will try liquiducts!
Odds are there was something wrong with the pipe setup, or the tank itself (were you, for example, trying to extract from the top portion of a tank that was low on material?) Otherwise, I have no idea. A magmatic engine should have made liquid fly out of the tank faster than a creeper says 'fsssssss'

Reactions: Mero

Icarus White

Jul 29, 2019
I think the problem there would be that waterproof pipes in particular have an inherent flow limit, while liquiducts don't, exactly.
I also know that you could hook up RP2 fluid pipes and pumps, but that's a lot more expensive, and I'm not sure how the flow rate would compare.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I think the problem there would be that waterproof pipes in particular have an inherent flow limit, while liquiducts don't, exactly.
I also know that you could hook up RP2 fluid pipes and pumps, but that's a lot more expensive, and I'm not sure how the flow rate would compare.

it is pretty good but I ran into an issue there mutliple pumps do not add anything. If you need more then what the pump can do and want to use more pumps they seem to be required to be isolated from each other from input to output. So basicly you have to run complete lines for every pump.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
I honestly don't like liquiducts that much. In order to pull liquids you need a redstone signal, which means one more block needed (as opposed to an autarchic gate on the pipe itself), and in one case already the signal was activating something it shouldn't (I almost blew up an IC transformer). You also can't connect two machines directly with only one liquiduct, you need to have at least one input and one output piece - where you only need one wooden water pipe. The extra throughput might be worth it in rare cases (steam boilers and such), but in almost any case pipes are fast enough and much more compact.

For the OP's issue, add more valves to the tank and pump lava by several pipes/liquiducts simultaneously. I'd also like to know how are you getting it in the tank in the first place, if pipes don't have enough throughput? Multiple pumps attached directly to the tank or something?

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
I honestly don't like liquiducts that much. In order to pull liquids you need a redstone signal, which means one more block needed (as opposed to an autarchic gate on the pipe itself), and in one case already the signal was activating something it shouldn't (I almost blew up an IC transformer). You also can't connect two machines directly with only one liquiduct, you need to have at least one input and one output piece - where you only need one wooden water pipe. The extra throughput might be worth it in rare cases (steam boilers and such), but in almost any case pipes are fast enough and much more compact.

For the OP's issue, add more valves to the tank and pump lava by several pipes/liquiducts simultaneously. I'd also like to know how are you getting it in the tank in the first place, if pipes don't have enough throughput? Multiple pumps attached directly to the tank or something?

The redstone signal is an advantage in every single instance. Sure, you have to watch you aren't signalling something by accident, but you have to watch that anytime you use redstone/levers/etc. It's great to have the ability to turn sections on and off, and means a tank + lever can become an effective valve. For people like me who like to micromanage, it's great. I've never had an instance where I had to connect 2 machines with only one pipe in between, that doesn't sound like it would be too difficult to overcome- either move the devices next to ech other if one can feed the other, route a short U or move one space apart.

The biggest advantage liquiducts have over pipes though, is the reduction in lag. If you have a supercomputer and can run thousands of pipes everywhere with no problems, good for you. If you have a decent machine but it starts to slow down after building a bunch of stuff- replace the pipes and you should see improvement.

Icarus White

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, I'd also like to contribute an advantage:
empty liquiducts and full liquiducts won't automatically connect. This drastically simplifies pipe networks when you're juggling several different liquids - this is a huge issue in Forestry, for instance.

wertyujh

Jul 29, 2019
Abdiel, i use a transposer outputting directly into the tank, and i think i am going to set it up next with multiple transposers, each transposer outputting into 3 industrial centrufuges

NTaylor

Jul 29, 2019

Even with an autarchic gate personally I would still have a redstone signal nearby for the sake of turning off the pipe if the need arised, so set the gate to redstone signal off - energy pulser.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Even with an autarchic gate personally I would still have a redstone signal nearby for the sake of turning off the pipe if the need arised, so set the gate to redstone signal off - energy pulser.

True and with Pipe wire you can have that switch all the way at the other end of the pipe if needed making the whole issue of redstone singals effeting anything moot.

NTaylor

Jul 29, 2019
True and with Pipe wire you can have that switch all the way at the other end of the pipe if needed making the whole issue of redstone singals effeting anything moot.
And using wireless redstone you can have the lever anywere you want and the redstone is only output in one direction based on the facing of the receiver so no chance of it interfering with anything.