VoxelMap - Do not want!

LittleMike

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, so am I the only one who doesn't like the fact that Rei's MiniMap was replaced with VoxelMap? I just updated to Mindcrack 8.2.0 and was greeted with this giant welcome message/config for VoxelMap. Okay, not a big deal. I wondered what happened to Rei's, but figured I'd give it a chance. Then right off the bat, I see entities on the radar. I am NOT opped on my server. There is no reason that I should be able to see where every single mob is, and where every cave leads to. It's total cheat mode. Is this a bug? I use nothing but default configs, so if there's a way to turn it off, great, but that's the kind of thing that should be opted INto, not OUT of.

/rant

Anyone else have any thoughts on this change? Personally, I don't like it, obviously.

LittleMike

Jul 29, 2019
there is a config for it. I am also saddened by the loss of REI's minpmap

It's not just the lost of Rei's MiniMap (I read that there were memory leaks and that's why it was pulled), it's the fact that Voxel's *defaults* to showing mobs to players that are non-opped. It's one thing to do that in SSP, but on a server? To my knowledge, this is the first time in any FTB pack that you could do that without being opped, and that's a step backwards to me.[DOUBLEPOST=1363147430][/DOUBLEPOST]I should add, that I don't feel a non-opped player should *ever* be able to see mobs on radar.

OliverJ102

Jul 29, 2019
I share your distain for this mod. I run a Mindcrack server and as far as I am concerned this is a cheat mod forced on us. I have been unable to deactivate the radar server side so all survival aspect is basically done and mining is now following the line. I hope for the sake of FTB that they either redo the mod for server side configs or remove it completely as it has effectively told every player that xrays are now legit in FTB :(

LittleMike

Jul 29, 2019
EZ2Remember - Not sure. It automatically imported all of my waypoints when I updated to 8.2.0.

OliverJ102 - Exactly! That's exactly what I'm talking about. Survival mode is essentially dead with this mod. No user who is not an op should ever be able to see the things that VoxelMap puts in *by default.* And config file or not (which no one knows for sure and I can't find a wiki for this mod) a mod that adds those abilities is just bad practice. Totally unhappy with this mod.

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't really seen a difference between the two, but I guess that's because I've only used the VoxelMap for about 5 minutes in Ultimate.
Is there a notable difference or something?

LittleMike

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't really seen a difference between the two, but I guess that's because I've only used the VoxelMap for about 5 minutes in Ultimate.
Is there a notable difference or something?

It defaults to having mobs on radar even if you are not an op on a server as well as Cave Mode that shows the locations of any ravines, caves, etc. Basically cheat mode.

Jul 29, 2019
It defaults to having mobs on radar even if you are not an op on a server as well as Cave Mode that shows the locations of any ravines, caves, etc. Basically cheat mode.

I don't mind the mob radar, and the cave mode could be useful in the Nether.
I can understand if it's used for like a creative world or something, or even in the VoxelBox, but in survival to find like big ravines and stuff? Seems a bit unfair in terms of normal minimaps.

LittleMike

Jul 29, 2019
I don't mind the mob radar, and the cave mode could be useful in the Nether.
I can understand if it's used for like a creative world or something, or even in the VoxelBox, but in survival to find like big ravines and stuff? Seems a bit unfair in terms of normal minimaps.

That's kind of my point - even Rei's had mob radar turned on by default in SSP - but NOT on a server. You couldn't even turn it on in SMP unless you were opped on the server. That's the way it should always be. No player should ever be able to add a mod that gives them op powers.

Jul 29, 2019
That's kind of my point - even Rei's had mob radar turned on by default in SSP - but NOT on a server. You couldn't even turn it on in SMP unless you were opped on the server. That's the way it should always be. No player should ever be able to add a mod that gives them op powers.

I hope it doesn't make it's way near any packs I enjoy, don't like dealing with two mods I don't enjoy.

OliverJ102

Jul 29, 2019
I hope they read their players reviews and amend their decision - Ive spent months setting up a hard Survvial server and they have basically made it dead easy with this update. Not sure what their intention was with adding this as FTB was meant to be less OP then Tekkit, this minimap contradicts that:(

LittleMike

Jul 29, 2019
I hope they read their players reviews and amend their decision - Ive spent months setting up a hard Survvial server and they have basically made it dead easy with this update. Not sure what their intention was with adding this as FTB was meant to be less OP then Tekkit, this minimap contradicts that:(

Agreed.

FYI, supposedly there is a config option server-side to turn it off. Why on earth this would not be done by default is beyond me. Either way, I still don't like the idea of having a mod that even gives that capability, regardless if you can turn it on and off.

http://forums.thevoxelbox.com/minecraft-mods-plugins/voxelmap-t2278.html

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
Voxelmap was intended for creative mode servers (with world edit and such), like the old portalgun with no recipe, the difference is that now ichun added a recipe balanced for survival meanwhile the voxelmap is still a creative cheaty map unable to be disabled, or at least disabled by default.

LittleMike

Jul 29, 2019
Voxelmap was intended for creative mode servers (with world edit and such), like the old portalgun with no recipe, the difference is that now ichun added a recipe balanced for survival meanwhile the voxelmap is still a creative cheaty map unable to be disabled, or at least disabled by default.

All the more reason it should never have been included in Mindcrack.