Vanilla lighting improvement reverted?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

R3Testa

Jul 29, 2019
The lighting in 1.3.x and 1.4.x vanilla was improved over that in 1.2.5, most obviously demonstrated by placing a torch in an overhead 1x1 space. In 1.2.5 the torch space is darkened, while 1.3.2 and later correctly light the block.
Do we know what mod in FTB has undone this fix?

damnedsky

Jul 29, 2019
No, not the overhaul. There was a minor improvement, and it is STILL IN 1.4.5, but not when all these mods are added.
Have you installed OptiFine by any chance? and in any case, are you using smooth lighting?

Edit:
Just tested that and you are right!!! never would have crossed my mind.

R3Testa

Jul 29, 2019
Have you installed OptiFine by any chance? and in any case, are you using smooth lighting?

Edit:
Just tested that and you are right!!! never would have crossed my mind.
You've seen it yourself now, but anyway, no and yes.
I'm in the habit of lighting things with torches in the ceiling, so it was very obvious when it first started happening in vanilla, when it was fixed in 1.3 vanilla, and when it reappeared in the FTB beta pack.

Phycoz

Jul 29, 2019
I find it quite annoying as well. Now I have to dig two blocks up and place the torch on the top block so there's no graphical glitches that would make me slowly lose my sanity.