Uniquely identifying trains

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

diesieben07

Jul 29, 2019
Hello @all,
i've been messing around with railcraft and want to set up a fully automated subway system. Basically a like-in-realworld train network, controlled by a central Computercraft Server. There would be different routes which have a schedule on how often they depart and so on.
I've mostly figured all of it out, the problem I am facing now is how to uniquely identify a train/locomotive. I need that so that I e.g know which train actually just arrived at the station and where to send it and when. I found the Rail Reader from MiscPeripherals which can give me the EntityId of the locomotive. An issue with that would be that those ids reset on server reload (actually on chunk reload, but since the trains have anchor carts anyways...). Meaning that I would have to completely restart the network when the server reboots for whatever reason.
A reload-proof way would be to have a storage minecart in the train that stores some Items that identify the train. But that would a) Slow down the train and b) take time everytime I need to identify which train it is (unload the items, check them and load them back in).
I am leaning towards the 2nd option with the chest cart, I'd just like some input on this.

(Not sure if it matters that much, but I'm on the Mindcrack pack)

Thanks in advance :)

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
What version of Railcraft are you using, In version 7.2.0.0 CovertJaguar added a new routing system. I haven't updated yet so I have no personal experience but it looks fun. From the looks of it it might not make it any easier to control with Computercraft but the routing system looks like it will powerful enough on its own to control itself. -- I just read your post properly and saw that you were using mindcrack. This version of railcraft is only in 1.5.1/2. Has mindcrack updated? Sorry I don't use the feed the beast packs myself I just like the community and tend to install mods myself that follow a similar theme to ultimate.

Reactions: diesieben07

diesieben07

Jul 29, 2019
Oh wow, I want that NOW. :D I watched CovertJaguar's info video and it's awesome. So much easier than my version now. But MindCrack (as most of the other packs, too) is still on 1.4.7 sadly. Guess I'll have to wait.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, though.
For now I am going the Chest-Cart route. Each station has 3 turtles. One refuels the locomotive, one the anchor cart and one identifies the train by the contents of it's chest cart. Now I just need to finish the endermen farm for the anchor carts... ;)