Turn off SMP cheats

Okiemurse

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys, I'm starting up a little private 5 man SMP server for my friends. I noticed that when running the mod that must not be named, we all agreed not to spawn in anything but pretty soon we were all cheating like crazy in NEI, flying around in creative mode, changing it to daytime to avoid monsters, and generally ruining the long-term fun in exchange for short term shenanigans. Is there a way to disable the "Cheat Mode" in NEI and limit it only to Recipe mode or Utility mode? It seems that NEI's "Cheat Mode" is the prime facilitator of cheating here. I want players to be able to fly or whatever if they craft an item that allows them to do so, but I want to keep the server legit. How do I disable this? Our willpower is not strong enough to avoid cheating if the tools are one click away.

MadDogTen

Jul 29, 2019
Don't OP any of them, and then it won't let them use the cheating functions of NEI on the server. Otherwise, I'm unsure if its possible to disable it for OP's (I wouldn't think so though).

Okiemurse

Jul 29, 2019
Can they still break blocks if they're not Op'd? I had that problem previously. (sorry, I'm a SMP noob. Mostly played solo before. )

Belone

Jul 29, 2019
You can't break blocks around spawn unless you are op, but other than that it's exactly what you want. In fact you could even not op yourself to avoid the temptation to cheat. And if you ever need to "cheat" you can do it through the server console.

Okiemurse

Jul 29, 2019
Ohhhhhh, it's just around spawn. LOL, I never tested it by walking away from spawn. I always logged in and tried punching the nearest thing. This helps a lot, thanks!

Belone

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I think the default is 16 blocks around spawn, but this is configurable down to just the spawn block.

The idea is that some evil griefer can't say put a lavapool at spawn.

Okiemurse

Jul 29, 2019
I may look into decreasing this down to just the spawn block. Since these are real life friends, if they do that, I'll just drive to their house and thwack them one. :D

NightKev

Jul 29, 2019
It's not configurable in vanilla Minecraft servers, you'd need Bukkit or some sort of mod to be able to change it.

dutchgh0st

Jul 29, 2019
You can set the spawn-protection to 0 in the server.properties file.
The spawn-protection line is right above the motd (message of the day) line, if you can find it just add this line in your server.properties file: spawn-protection=0

Yorae

Jul 29, 2019
NEI has a config setting for locking yourself into a mode. I believe the relevant setting is called "lockMode" (or something similar) in your NotEnoughItems.cfg. I remember it has a comment above it that says "For those that can't help themselves".

AliasXNeo

Jul 29, 2019
NEI has a config setting for locking yourself into a mode. I believe the relevant setting is called "lockMode" (or something similar) in your NotEnoughItems.cfg. I remember it has a comment above it that says "For those that can't help themselves".

Yes.

/config/NEI.cfg:

Code:
#For those who can't help themselves
#Set this to a mode and you will be unable to change it ingame
lockmode=-1

NightKev

Jul 29, 2019
Oh? Since when did vanilla servers have the ability to disable spawn protection? I never saw that line in a vanilla server.properties file before when I had a 1.2.5 server.

INCSlayer

Nov 17, 2012
i dont know when they got it but atleast 1.4.2 has it i would not suprised if it was added with 1.3

Reactions: Antice

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
... your not the only one ;p
NEI is really a really evil mod that way. always tempting one to make a shortcut when a task seems a bit tedious.
The thing is, and I don't know if anyone else feels the same:
Once you have crossed the cheat threshold, that world no longer feels as clean and valuable as it was before resorting to a cheat. even if the cheat was done only to regain something lost to a bug or other.
OTOH i often use a discarded world to test things out in. cheating is not the sole reason for abandoning a world after all. NEI is real good to have when moving a world from survival and over to a more creative mode.

damnedsky

Jul 29, 2019
Moved thread to Server area.
From my small amount of server knowledge the server pack comes with NEI and thus making it possible to set the server NEI configs however you would like. Just check the config folder. Cheers!

Belone

Jul 29, 2019
Oh? Since when did vanilla servers have the ability to disable spawn protection? I never saw that line in a vanilla server.properties file before when I had a 1.2.5 server.

Actually I'm pretty sure you can't fully disable spawn protection in vanilla servers. Setting the spawn-protection to 0, actually sets just the actual spawn block to protected, then increasing the number increases the radius away from spawn that is protected, eg. 1 will set a 3x3 square, 3 would set a 7x7 square, 100 would be 201x201 etc.