Transporting MJ over a long distance (Mindcrack)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
The most embarassing thing is the conduit loss. I was so sure about that, I haven't even did my own test. Until now. Sorry. Has this chaged recently, or have I always been thinking it wrong?

Depends on how you define "recently". Energy conduits were completely rewritten in TE v2.1.4, and that was sometime in December, probably before Christmas. I know that when I started my world on the 30th, it was already up to 2.1.6.

I did not test conduit performance before the rewrite. It's possible that they were bugged back then and did not lose any energy at all, but I can't confirm or deny that.

Damoklesz

Jul 29, 2019
So you're looking for effectively 100% lossless MJ transport over any distance?

Energy->Magma Crucible->Lava->Lava Bucket->Enderchest->Filter->Combustion Engines->Retriever pulls empties back into enderchest.

With XYtank auto-filling you could do it without a liquid transposer when the pack updates.
If you're that fussed about the transposer energy use, a RP pump+grate-> lava source blocks and a deployer+bucket collecting them would work.​

Can you really make 20000 MJ with one bucket of lava in a Combustion Engines? Or is it 100% lossless using Netherrack in the Magma Crucible? That way the Combustion Engine would only have to produce 8000 MJ per bucket. (assuming the NEI recepies give correct numbers...) But it would still cost you Netherrack, so technicly it can't be lossless. Or am I missing something again?

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Lava gives 20k MJ in a combustion engine.
TE Conduits changelog v2.1.4:
-Changed: Energy Conduit loss math has been simplified for computation purposes. 5% now, enjoy.
Mindcrack has 2.1.6 since v1

warfighter67

Jul 29, 2019
When I first read your comment I was like: "Great, one more person who doesn't know what he's talking about!". But you've actually got one part right.

First, this is what you're wrong about:
- You can't use a gate on a redstone energy cell, or redstone conduits. You have to use a Gate Reader and a Computer. The Gate Reader comes from Misc Peripherals and it's a block (that can also be built into a turtle). EDIT: I was wrong about this one as seen on the picture bellow.
- As far as I know if you remove a Redstone Energy Cell with a Block Breaker, it also loses it's settings. This means that you'll be powering that quarry with 50 MJ/t (the default output), and that's really inefficient.
- As far as I know there is no Redpower device with a "cresent wrench". According to NEI, the only recepies involving Crescent Hammers are turtles.
- You don't really need wireless redstone, you are using enderchests.

1. You can use a gate. Hook up a pipe (I use structure pipes) and place a gate. It can detect the energy cell.
2. You are right about that IIRC
3. You can use a RP Deployer with a crescent hammer inside to remove the cell.
4. No comment.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Can you really make 20000 MJ with one bucket of lava in a Combustion Engines? Or is it 100% lossless using Netherrack in the Magma Crucible? That way the Combustion Engine would only have to produce 8000 MJ per bucket. (assuming the NEI recepies give correct numbers...) But it would still cost you Netherrack, so technicly it can't be lossless. Or am I missing something again?

It appears NEI needs updating (or are they nerfing it in the comb. engine?). if it starts making 8k you're better off with a stirling engine or biogas+water.
Hopefully its the former and not the latter, buildcraft engine values have changed very little over time. Massively nerfing it to make way for new mods is somewhat bad form on the Dev's part.
If you have a self-supplied chunkloaded turtle/frame bore, you have an unlimited supply of netherrack, so you could go for that if you want efficiency of more than 200%/.

Zivel

Jul 29, 2019
3. You can use a RP Deployer with a crescent hammer inside to remove the cell.
Nope you cant... it dont work...

Here is another system that I made.... Uses engineering gate reader turtles. Could be a lot more compact if you play around with it.

TG9J5fA.png

Code:
m = peripheral.wrap("right")
data = m.get(front)
function power()
  check()
  sleep(.1)
end
function check()
  if data["Full Energy"] == true then
--change to "No Energy" for the other turtle
    turtle.dig() else
    sleep(2)
  end
  data = m.get("front")
end
while true do
  power()
end

This was done on DW20 but should be the same thing me thinks....

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
A radically easier solution is minecarts moving biofuel. If you're concerned about distance, consider using Mystcraft gates. If you're too early for a linkbook editor block you don't need to sweat; just take a 1-block detour through the Nether.

This is my preferred way of moving lots of things that are awkward to move. For example, I moved a herd of 100 cows last night over 4km. Did you know zombie pigmen seem to have a problem with chickens? I did not...

Zivel

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah well.... my system that involves like 5 mods to move MJ or one block from TE.... lol.

TheLegendaryFoxFire

Jul 29, 2019
A way easier way to transport MJs over a long distance are the Tesseracts! They can send power and receive power from each other other.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
If you are wanting actual lossless, you're probably going to want biogas engines on site and transporting the biogs through enderchests, with Liquid Transposers to fill and unfill the canisters. Of course, you could also use liquid tesseracts, if they have been implemented yet. It saves you the 5% loss from using energy crystals.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
DW20 has recently used turtles to power his quarry. Engineering turtle picks up the energy cell when it's empty, moves to a teleporter, teleports back to the power station, plonks down the cell, waits for it to recharge, then picks it up, and teleports back again.
Only downside is the downtime waiting for the energy cell to recharge, but the system could be improved with a 2nd energy cell already at the charging station. Turtle picks that up first, then places the empty one, and goes straight back to the quarry with the full one.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
The "best" solution isn't the easiest solution, it's the solution that requires most engineering and different mods interacting. So personally I thinkthe mod where you use CC Turtles to remove TE cells through RP tubes and EnderChests to a location where you provide a BC quarry with power originally supplied by a RC steam boiler supplied with Forestry biofuel is the best :)

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Just had a thought, Launcher Rails set to max power and cargo carts to carry cells, with a turtle at the end to place! Inefficient as hell, but amusing to watch.

hotblack desiato

Jul 29, 2019
I'd say, the easiest way would be a minecart line (actually 2 lines, one for each direction if you plan to use more than one train)

your base needs a row of liquid loaders (I'd say 3-7, depending on the size of your tank) and 2-6 tank-carts joined together with an anchor cart. your quarry station needs the same amount of liquid unloaders and another iron tank.

the only downside is, that this anchorcart always loads and unloads chunks (all the chunks around the track). but since such a train could easily transport more than 100 buckets of fuel (add more liquid loaders/unloaders) lossless, this would be a way.

additionally, if you want the energy production centrally, make a big steam boiler (railcraft) and ship the steam with those carts. steam is just another liquid...

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
If you're transporting liquids (like steam or biomass) minecarts are definitely the coolest option, but not the easiest. TE Tesseracts are very simply to set up (albeit a bit costly in resources).

hotblack desiato

Jul 29, 2019
I know, but somehow I think teleporting stuff around is a bit cheaty. tesseracts have their value when it comes to teleporting things from mystcraft worlds, but even that can be done with minecarts. tesseracts are the best option, if lag is a topic, there, the minecarts would fail, because of all those chunks which need to be loaded.