TickThreading - concurrent entity/tile entity ticks and other optimisations

Puremin0rez

Jul 29, 2019
I've now implemented chunk caching - simply set a value higher than 0 in the config. Unlike forge's dormant chunk cache, this actually works!

What's a number you'd recommend? I know it varies, but a general number you think would be pretty acceptable

Tjezee

Jul 29, 2019
So I was very excited to read about this mod yesterday, installed it per instructions, the praised #466. Worked fine. Then i'm restarting the server for other reasons
and errors start popping up left and right. So I tried another version, the 409 as mentioned in the thread, same deal, so then I wanted to try the very latest, (replacing server jar every time, repatching )
risky business but by now It didn't matter much. The latest version, after the patch you should do it removed 9 mods.. just like that. Ic2/gregtech, all gone. All of a sudden nothing works anymore and i'm fucked.
So I try to remove it all together, it has nested in every mod on my server it feels like; I had to replace every since mod and thank god, it works again. And I know i'm not popular for saying all this cos its bad news
but this mod needs some work cos to me, it more acts like a virus then anything else.

Puremin0rez

Jul 29, 2019
So I was very excited to read about this mod yesterday, installed it per instructions, the praised #466. Worked fine. Then i'm restarting the server for other reasons
and errors start popping up left and right. So I tried another version, the 409 as mentioned in the thread, same deal, so then I wanted to try the very latest, (replacing server jar every time, repatching )
risky business but by now It didn't matter much. The latest version, after the patch you should do it removed 9 mods.. just like that. Ic2/gregtech, all gone. All of a sudden nothing works anymore and i'm fucked.
So I try to remove it all together, it has nested in every mod on my server it feels like; I had to replace every since mod and thank god, it works again. And I know i'm not popular for saying all this cos its bad news
but this mod needs some work cos to me, it more acts like a virus then anything else.

I will agree that the patching it does is quite severe (aka literally modifying all of your mods for the most part) - but it's because it pretty much HAS to patch everything in order for things to make appropriate use of the Threads

My general method for updating from one build to another is as follows:
Grab a clean copy of all mods used on my server and save them in a special folder
Whenever a new TT version comes out - I DELETE my mindcrack.jar and my mods folder entirely.
I copy over the clean versions and throw them back into the server directory
I run the patcher and everything works as intended

I don't know how well TT handles repatching a patched file - but I've never tried it and never will - it's always best to use clean jars. I'm guessing it "takes" the clean copies from the backups folder it makes.

Regardless, you should be able to put your server / map back in working order by grabbing the modpack over again - if you ran your map without the mods installed though, you are kind of out of luck if you didn't take backups.

Reactions: nallar

Tjezee

Jul 29, 2019
Yes I think you are right, this mod requires everything to be fresh basicly. It does its thing and afterwards it should not be touched. Then it might work as intended. The problem i'm having is that i'm patiently waiting
for FTB Ultimate which has all the mods people want, right now, i'm doing it manually and adding mods and updates manual. So running this mod whilst doing that would not be practical.

All in all, I did not want to come across as a total negative nancy here so I will say that the mod did help my server performance when it was working properly so it's doing a nice job, and this mod does have
a lot of potential and I will keep my eye on it.

Mad85x

Jul 29, 2019
After I run the PATCHME.exe every time i try to run the server it spits this out: Error: Unable to access jarfile minecraft_server.jar

I've tried different versions of the server jar to no avail. However if i patch then use an unpatched server jar, everything works fine.

Also sometimes it says the server jar might be corrupted. Either way, it won't run. Really looking for some help on this.

nallar

Jul 29, 2019
After I run the PATCHME.exe every time i try to run the server it spits this out: Error: Unable to access jarfile minecraft_server.jar

I've tried different versions of the server jar to no avail. However if i patch then use an unpatched server jar, everything works fine.

Also sometimes it says the server jar might be corrupted. Either way, it won't run. Really looking for some help on this.
Can you paste your patcher.log from the TickThreadingLogs directory?[DOUBLEPOST=1358604266][/DOUBLEPOST]
What's a number you'd recommend? I know it varies, but a general number you think would be pretty acceptable

Higher is better, but don't set it so high that you run out of memory. It's kinda' like using a RAMdisk but less CPU time is spent, and you don't need to store everything in RAM, just what was recently accessed.

nallar

Jul 29, 2019
I will agree that the patching it does is quite severe (aka literally modifying all of your mods for the most part) - but it's because it pretty much HAS to patch everything in order for things to make appropriate use of the Threads

My general method for updating from one build to another is as follows:
Grab a clean copy of all mods used on my server and save them in a special folder
Whenever a new TT version comes out - I DELETE my mindcrack.jar and my mods folder entirely.
I copy over the clean versions and throw them back into the server directory
I run the patcher and everything works as intended

I don't know how well TT handles repatching a patched file - but I've never tried it and never will - it's always best to use clean jars. I'm guessing it "takes" the clean copies from the backups folder it makes.

Regardless, you should be able to put your server / map back in working order by grabbing the modpack over again - if you ran your map without the mods installed though, you are kind of out of luck if you didn't take backups.
Yes, currently TT modifies 26 out of 57(?) mods. I did make it also make it very clear at the top of the post that it's experimental, and to make a backup so if something goes wrong I can fix it.

Tjezee, what extra mods are you using? It's likely that some of them need patching to work with TT, so it'd be helpful to know what doesn't work.

Mad85x

Jul 29, 2019
Tried replacing META-INF folder with its contents from a good server jar and i get the same issue. Really stumped on this

Mad85x

Jul 29, 2019
Really? well i'm gunna test it on a different PC and see what the results are.

Also can you post you launch params?

Mad85x

Jul 29, 2019
Ok so after some tinkering I got it to work.

Had to replace the META-INF folder with a completely stock one.

Thanks for the help man.

Edit: There are two files in the META-INF folder that cause the error, FORGE.DSA and FORGE.SF

If these two files are removed and the MANIFEST file is replaced with the stock one everything runs fine.

Reactions: nallar

ncreen_same

Jul 29, 2019
Naller: Does this work with an unpatched minecraft_server.jar? I run the forge jar (renamed the zip) with minecraft_server.jar in the same folder (forge will find it and runtime patch it) to make updating more simple. Does TT support this?