Thermal Expansion power issues

Altaïr117

Jul 29, 2019
I have 5 biogas engines, 7 steam dynamos, and 8 magmatic dynamos all powering my main power frame. According to the Multimeter I'm making 1.4k RF/t and using around 600 RF/t, but I'm losing power. Why is that? Could it have to do with the fact that I have 1 tesseract getting power from 3 other tesseracts and 1 tesseract giving power to 3 other tesseracts? Does that cause some power loss issue? If not, what could be the problem?

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I don't believe your biogas engines are making RF. They make MJ, Thermal Expansion does not convert into RF. TE only converts from RF to MJ.

As for power production, 7 steam + 8 magmatic @ 80RF/t each is 15 * 80RF/t = 1.2k RF/t.

I don't know how you're measuring power usage nor do I understand your Tesseract setup. For troubleshooting, I would simplify it. Also, I highly recommend building a TE3 multimeter and using that to measure your power production and usage. You should also use some energy cells. I'm assuming you have the resources to build a Redstone Energy Cell. You can set the maximum input and output power and use that to judge where your power gain/loss is at if the multimeter doesn't help.

Altaïr117

Jul 29, 2019
I don't believe your biogas engines are making RF. They make MJ, Thermal Expansion does not convert into RF. TE only converts from RF to MJ.

As for power production, 7 steam + 8 magmatic @ 80RF/t each is 15 * 80RF/t = 1.2k RF/t.

I don't know how you're measuring power usage nor do I understand your Tesseract setup. For troubleshooting, I would simplify it. Also, I highly recommend building a TE3 multimeter and using that to measure your power production and usage. You should also use some energy cells. I'm assuming you have the resources to build a Redstone Energy Cell. You can set the maximum input and output power and use that to judge where your power gain/loss is at if the multimeter doesn't help.

I'm using Mekanism universal cables for the Biogas engines. I have 2 Redstone Energy Cells, and I tried changing the input/output. I couldn't find anything so I thought there might be some tesseract mechanic I don't know about, so I googled tesseracts and couldn't find anything. I haven't played FTB since around 1.2.5 and 1.4.2 so I'm not sure if there's much I don't know with the new TE.

And about the tesseracts, basically I have 2 frequencies, one is sending power from my base to all the places I need power, and the other is getting power from all the places that have engines/dynamos in my world. So basically for 1 frequency there's 1 send and 3 receives or 3 receives and 1 send. Could that cause a problem? If I had more shiny I'd make more tesseracts and use more than 2 frequencies but I never get shiny from my ferrous ores

Last edited:

Bickers

Jul 29, 2019
do you have any forestry or BC machines on your network? thay will constantly drain power even when not in use

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
As above, Forestry, BC and Railcraft machines will drain power. Those are good places to use conduits from energy cells so they can be disconnected from power via lever.

Kill-Joy

Jul 29, 2019
do you have any forestry or BC machines on your network? thay will constantly drain power even when not in use
Only BC machines do that. I believe that Forestry machines have an internal buffer where they can store a limited amount of power, but stop draining after that's full.

Reactions: buggirlexpres

SandGrainOne

Jul 29, 2019
Only BC machines do that. I believe that Forestry machines have an internal buffer where they can store a limited amount of power, but stop draining after that's full.
All MJ powered machines will have some loss. I know some mod authors have found ways to prevent it, but such "hack" is not in use by Forestry or RailCraft.