Thermal Expansion Code

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Um, as far as i know, if you use another ones mod and make a patch or a conversion, you still need to get permission to release it, if you START a new mod, with compatibility with another one, thats yours.. But i may be wrong :p I will try to find the post about it xD
Depends on your definition of "need". Legally, no you don't need permission. Anyone can de-compile code, learn from it, create something new, and distribute their new code. No-one can stop you from doing that. Any mod author that says "don't do that" is over-stepping the bounds of their legal authority. Of course, that doesn't mean that a "community" can't adopt standards that are more strict and respectful than the law requires. And that seems to be the case with the Minecraft modding community - if you disregard an author's request not to de-compile and patch their mod, then you will be pillaried by the community and your mod will be removed from the minecraftforums.net mod pages. Is that right? I'm not sure. I believe in the right to learn, the right to have control over and understanding of the code that I run, the right to fix broken software on my machine and the right to share the information on how to fix broken software (e.g. Redpower Tweaks). But there you go, that's the community that we're in and you break those rules at your own risk.

*Edit* In response to King Lemming - I can certainly see that a free-for-all where all sorts of people distribute their own hacks and patches for mods would be chaotic and unmanageable. Well-maintained mods with rich APIs are a blessing.

wolfsilver00

Jul 29, 2019
Thought we'd been over this. Please don't do it. I really don't want to start maintaining a ban list.

Use the API, that's why I made it. Hack the code and we're going to have problems.

First of all, im sorry i gave him the idea, i didn't thought you wouldn't allow a patch. Next time i'll look for another solution, i didn't want to disrespect your work.
But i would like you to explain how someone can use the api and where they can find the required information about it, it would be interesting (even for me) and would solve the problem in this post :p

Thanks for passing by here, there's nothing better than having the author of a mod help with it :p

BTW, good work with TE, it's one of the best mods out there, and if i could make a suggestion, please add some item pipes, your work with liquiducts is just awesome, same with redstone conduit (which would be even better if there was a way to change output/input in a one block long conduit for both sides separately) and im sure if you made some item pipes, they would be the best out there. A way to make them output/input only like conduits, and some kind of pressure system to get the speed at which items travel would be awesome. Of course, make them expensive, as liquiducts and energy conduits are.

Thanks for your hardwork man, and again, im sorry if i recommended something wrong.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
First of all, im sorry i gave him the idea, i didn't thought you wouldn't allow a patch. Next time i'll look for another solution, i didn't want to disrespect your work.
But i would like you to explain how someone can use the api and where they can find the required information about it, it would be interesting (even for me) and would solve the problem in this post :p

Thanks for passing by here, there's nothing better than having the author of a mod help with it :p

BTW, good work with TE, it's one of the best mods out there, and if i could make a suggestion, please add some item pipes, your work with liquiducts is just awesome, same with redstone conduit (which would be even better if there was a way to change output/input in a one block long conduit for both sides separately) and im sure if you made some item pipes, they would be the best out there. A way to make them output/input only like conduits, and some kind of pressure system to get the speed at which items travel would be awesome. Of course, make them expensive, as liquiducts and energy conduits are.

Thanks for your hardwork man, and again, im sorry if i recommended something wrong.

As far as the api goes, just download it and stick it in your environ. There is a readme file and the java files are all well documented. :) Basically in this case you would try to add a new Pulverizer recipe with the overwrite flag set to true. If the server is configured to allow overwrites, it will happen. Done.

As far as conduits, changes are coming:
Conduits.png

That was only made possible very recently. Liquiducts will have the same capability.

Zeldo is working on Item transport now. But both of us have pretty busy schedules and I need to rework some fluid stuff first. So, it's on the way, but no ETA.

Vipersassasin

Jul 29, 2019
Will the API on the site work with the 1.4.7 of the mod? seeing as i am using Mindcrack and they won't update for a little bit yet I am not certain it will work... Also, I am just going to have to learn some java and get over it being easy!

Reactions: Eyamaz

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
WOOT!

Also, your Glowstone Iluminator? Totally amazing! Tinkers Constructs Oreberries require a low light level to bear fruit. I can use these to keep it light enough to keep out mobs but dark enough to let them give me nuggets.