The Tips and Tricks for AE..

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Nebuchadnezzar

Jul 29, 2019
This will be a somewhat long post, and be warned some of the things in this thread may already be outdated.
Feel free to come with your own suggestions and tips.

These hints are for the more advanced AE user, there are bunch of videos and threads of people derping around showing how to craft level emiters, and controllers. That is not a bad thing by far! But if you want to learn what a level emitter is this is not the thread for you. Instead have a look at the wiki, watch a few videos, go into a test world and then come back here =)

http://ae-mod.info/

Storage buses, Import buses and power consumption

If you walk away from your house it is usually a good idea to turn of the lights right?
When you are done cooking you usually turn of the oven, you do not leave it running because you will be using it again sometime in the future.

Now one can not fully convert this logic into minecraft, as getting power is hardly an issue.
Especially when building your AE system, as this requires an amount of resources only possible in middle to late game.

Even still it is a good idea to save power where you can, it will strain the server a tad less, look better and you can pat yourself on the back for going green.

Usually people run Quarries and link them with either enderchests or Item tessaracts to your storage system. A very basic setup is shown below.

RS0Syne.jpg

However even when not in use the import buses uses energy. Yes you can remove and add the enderchest and the bus when your quarries are not running, but this is a hassle.
One might think that a gate attached to the import bus (set the bus to active with redstone signal) will fix the problem. THIS IS WRONG. Even if you set the bus to active only with or without a signal, it still consumes power!

Fortunately there is a simple and clean solution

This is a simple gate attached to a cobblestone construction pipe. The gate is set to "emit if items in chest" Next to the Controller there is a dark cable. By default this system uses 6+1 units of power (controller = 6, storage bus = 1)

This system is easily hidden too, if you do not like the look of gates by the power of facades.

WNnmktu.jpg

D0d8svI.jpg

Now one can easily make this system even more advanced, what if we want the wooden chest to also only be active if it has items?

sNBCMWJ.jpg

Again a somewhat simple solution, whenever the enderchest receives items it will turn on the gate and enable both the storage bus and the import bus. Then the gate on the back of the wooden chest will activate once a single item has landed in the chest. And yes, botht he cable next to the ME controller, and above the gate are dark cables.

The power consumption of the system above is again merely 6 units, meaning only the controller is powered. How green!

Now... Import buses have two settings, stack mode and single item mode. Of course it is much faster of using the latter, but it also uses a silly amount of power. Again, is there any way to fix this? Well using gates we can arrange our system to only empty out the enderchest when it is completely full, and not stop emptying until it is completely empty. Give it a try yourself, it is not terribly hard =)

a69sYPl.jpg

The gate on the back which is on has the setting ("When empty emitt a redstone signal") the gate on the left is set to ("When full emitt a redstone signal") and these two signals are sent to the RS-latch in the middle
The RS-latch is directional as far as I see, so to get the output signal right you might need to switch the left and right gate.
This simple system will empty out the chest when it is full, then wait untill it is full again!
Yeah, the system is using the default 6 units a tick again.

Again, it is not difficult adding a chest to the system like so

SFG9UHu.jpg

The gate on the back is once again set to "Emit redstone signal when items in inventory".
But we can add even more complexity to the gates... Now only emptying out the chest once full is a great idea, but this means your items will not reach the system before the chest is full.
Lets say you process a stack of iron, then in the worst case scenario you would have to wait for 1664 more iron to be smelted! (Or in the besc scenarion 26 different ores)

The solution is to combine the empty when full system, with our first chest system.
This means adding another gate, and a another storage bus tot the enderchest. Now the next image will look somewhat convoluted, but it is not that bad. Really!

hZuFNPq.jpg

The gate system is the same as before, and the gate on the far right (attached to the blue wool jacked wire)
is set to emitt when any items in the inventory. And this blue wool goes to a dark cable beneath the controller. This system is also using a mere 6 units. This is the ultimate enderchest setup in my eyes, and all the gate setups can be hooked up to another enderchest if needed.

Here is the system from another angle, this time with a chest attatched to it

e7k0H4h.jpg

The cover strip is to avoid the red dark cable to interfere with the red alloy wire running to the chest.

- Practical uses for this

I use this system to feed sand to my 40 induction smelters through an enderchest.

The system only refills sand into the chest when empty, and it uses the stackmode setting.
The system will first try to fill the chest with rich slag, and then sand. This is done with
the level emitter on the back, emitting a signal when below 1 to refill sand.

* Crafting and autocrafting *

* Storage system *

* Machine management *

That was all I had time for this day, like I said if anyone has any interesting ideas post them, and I will try to upade the remaining sections once I have time =)

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
those setups to import items from quarry to system make no sense to me. why not put 1 tesseract on top of a quarry, and second to me interface?

Nebuchadnezzar

Jul 29, 2019
Because Item tesseracts are limited to sending 1 items a second =)
And yeah, it is quite pointless when attached to a Quarry. But for storage busses and import where you want more control it is great. ME interfaces only can filter 8 items as well.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe that's more energy efficient :D

I'd rather just increase my power production, but there is more than one way to do it
Larry Wall

Heliomance

Jul 29, 2019
Does a change in state of a Dark Cable interrupt crafting operations in the same way that breaking or adding to the AE network does?
If a chunk that contains part of your network unloads, it also cancels crafting. At least, I assume that's why my crafting kept getting interrupted when I built a massive extension to my ME network.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Increase power production? It is already over 9000!
Regarding power consumption: Every little helps.
1 eu/t doesnt seem to... but anyways, if you have an me system, you`re probably have me interfaces to handle external processing, so instead of adding import bus which will use 1 unit, when used, you can utilize already existing me interface, that will use 1 unit regardless of its usage.
so this solution is more energy efficient, than yours :p

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
It seems like ME interface overloaded by items consume a lot of energy... Just don't let it overload :3

Well, as I already said: there is more than one way to do it

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
It seems like ME interface overloaded by items consume a lot of energy... Just don't let it overload :3
while its true, this wont happen with quarry output, because me interface will receive 1 item at a time, thus will not use more than 1 unit

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
That might happen if your disks are full. I had this issue with a treefarm on a server.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I love this. But also: wait until you have RedNet PRCs to add in for control. That in addition to comparators and hoppers means you can actually trickle exact numbers of objects into a system and even easily track exactly how many objects are in a processing pipeline in a way where your redstone logic can react to it.

This means that you can gate input to your AE system and intelligently shut things around a pre-processing network. It's intense.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
It seems like 4K disk has more capacity than a bunch of barrels

The advantage of barrels is, you know that you can store 64 stacks of each item. With a 4k disk, other items may fill up the space leaving you short of space for 64 stacks of whatever.
Deep Storage Units attached to the network via Storage Buses are my preference (2 billion storage); same effect but you get 6 sides to for input/output on a DSU, and they hold much much more than barrels.

Reactions: YX33A and KirinDave