Texture Pack guide

PD2525

Jul 29, 2019
{EDIT}

Ok, the pack guide is a go, so here's a list of every folder of the textures. if you want to join in, just pick an open folder and post what you took. format is to size each page to 512x512, 4 pixels in on each side for the text box, text is 5 pixels by 3 or 5 by 5 based on letter.

Master List:

Achievement
Advsolar
Armor
Art
chb
codechicken
cpw
dan200
enviroment
extrabiomes
factorization
font
gfx
gravisuite
gregtechmod
gui
ic2
img
item
misc
mob
myst
portalgun
railcraft
terrain
thermalexpantion
title
twilightforest
vswe
Pack.png
Particles.png
terrain.png DONE (base for the pack, available below)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
While this is not a suggestion for a texture pack, it is a suggestion for a way to make texture pack creation easier.

I've worked on making a few custom packs and skins for friends, and every time a guide like this: http://media-mcw.cursecdn.com/7/78/TerrainGuide.png has helped me make a proper pack. So i'm saying that there needs to be an official FTB texture pack guide, something that can help creators make texture packs, and helping to build the community as they do so.

For now, i'll try to make my own pack, but if there was a guide, then texture packs would be easier to make.

(Also to note, alot of terrain guide packs like the one I linked are great for showing complex systems and having the blocks labeled as you work! )

PD2525

Jul 29, 2019
it's useful as a way to diagram machines.

but mainly it's a guide to make texture packs, and that's what FTB needs.

Rey

Jul 29, 2019
So where do you start with getting the normal textures for each mod?
It all seems so messy.

PD2525

Jul 29, 2019
So where do you start with getting the normal textures for each mod?
It all seems so messy.
Thats exactly what i'm talking about. There needs to be a guide that in one zip file or something gives all the textures, and has them labeled so you know what your editing.

zahfelade

Jul 29, 2019
That might be something you could request from the individual mod authors. Maybe check the wiki pages for each mod to see if one already exists. I doubt most of the mod authors are checking these forums at the moment. Most of them seem to still be doing a lot of testing, and updating. They are probably too busy to keep up with any forums besides their own (if they even have time for that). I'd check out the home pages, wiki pages, or support forums for each mod to see if the author or someone in the community has already created a template for the textures. Once you have each one, it's just a matter of looking at another texture pack that supports that mod, to find out the file hierarchy, and where each .png file needs to be placed.

It's not the easiest process in the world, and it's not easy to create ONE COMPLETE REPOSITORY for the textures, since most folks use different combinations of mods. Besides Technic/Tekkit, Feed-the-Beast is the first well-advertised mod pack (that I know of) with a set list of mods that it includes. Outside of these packs, if you wanted to find a repository for textures, you'd have to find someone that just keeps track of EVERY mod out there. I'm pretty sure there isn't someone with that much time on their hands, AND that much interest in organizing the texture pack community out there.

However, now that we have a Feed-the-Beast pack with a solid list of base mod, someone might put something together that is geared specifically for FTB. Unfortunately, you'll probably have to wait some time before you see it, since a few key mods are yet to be released to the public.

Nuttyprot

Jul 29, 2019
This would be a lot of work for people to do and I hope you succeed in doing it. I have created over 30 texture packs for mods (list is growing as I am trying to get as many of the FTB mod packs done before I lose the will to live lol only 7 and half mods left for me to do in the current beta). Something like this would have saved me 100s of hours.

If you get this moving and are stuck with not knowing what some textures are, and if I have a pack for that mod send me a pm and I will try and help.

Rey

Jul 29, 2019
That's a great start. Now we just need to identify all sprites, mark which part goes where and then everyone can start making textures...

Furious1964

Nov 10, 2012
Would be great if someone could make HD textures for the ores and machines and stuff HD textures for everything else I have.

Nuttyprot

Jul 29, 2019
If anyone has a texture guide for factorization (just the blocks file would help) would you be able to post it please this mod is starting to **** me off lol. No offence to the author of the mod it is a great mod but they textures are scattered and messy because of this it is very hard to work out what a lot of them are.