Starting a new playthrough, recommendations?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

The Skeptical Tech

Jul 29, 2019
Hi guys.

I'm about to start a new world for FTB.

I never use a pack as-is, I always customize it.

Therefore, I am using the Direwolf20 pack as a base, removing the magic mods (I'm not into magic), and adding some other mods (reactorcraft, rotarycraft, agriculture, ICBM, Atomic Science, possibly the orespawn mod).

I generally play in a semi-survival style with my friend, meaning that we spawn in a stabilized 20x dense ore age and a portal to it, but otherwise play completely in survival (we don't want to waste time grinding through the vanilla game, this lets us get started with the mods almost right away).

However, before we get started, I thought I would ask some some mod recommendations. Tech mods are especially fun, but I'm game for other kinds of mods as well.

Anything I should try that's not in the pack and that I haven't listed?

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Well, since you don't like magic mods I can't use my usual go-to and say Blood Magic... So try out Mekanism. As @meuqsaco suggested, remove IC2 and replace it with Mekanism. Toss in Big Reactors and Ender IO as well. If either of you are into building nice things, add Chisel and Carpenter's Blocks.

The Skeptical Tech

Jul 29, 2019
Any reason I don't want to have both Mekanism and IC2?

I don't mind redundancy, and I also don't really care too much about balance.

The Skeptical Tech

Jul 29, 2019
So there is no conflict then? Because I do like playing with IC2, but I'll throw mekanism in there.

There seem to be configs for nearly every mod I want to add, that's pretty cool.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Highly customized Iguana's tweaks and hunger overhual. Hunger adds tons of depth to food(Tech levels of depth IMO) and Tweaks does the same for tinkers tools though not as much depth based on configs.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Play BnB.

>:D
We need a real face for >: D
It breaks so many posts when it does the evil thing and then a huge smile sideways
Also I suggest resonant imduction(dont remember which build, but months ago the one I was on was pretty stable) and mad science (UE mod that adds evil scientist themed macjines)

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I'd suggest Mek, but it's been suggested, I'd suggest the UE Suite, but it's been suggested, I'd suggest Blood Magic, but it's not up your alley.
So I guess I'll be obstinate and suggest Technomancy, which is a fun TC4.1 addon, with plans for making Taint more of a threat down the road, Blood Magic, because it's simple and easy, yet tons of fun, Forbidden Magic, because it's AWESOME, simple as that, Ars Magicka 2, because it's a great mod that needs more love, and DartCraft, because it's actually really well balanced yet tons of fun and really useful.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
I'd suggest Mek, but it's been suggested, I'd suggest the UE Suite, but it's been suggested, I'd suggest Blood Magic, but it's not up your alley.
So I guess I'll be obstinate and suggest Technomancy, which is a fun TC4.1 addon, with plans for making Taint more of a threat down the road, Blood Magic, because it's simple and easy, yet tons of fun, Forbidden Magic, because it's AWESOME, simple as that, Ars Magicka 2, because it's a great mod that needs more love, and DartCraft, because it's actually really well balanced yet tons of fun and really useful.
Technomancy also mixes tech and magic. More than TC4 already does.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
We need a real face for >: D
It breaks so many posts when it does the evil thing and then a huge smile sideways
Also I suggest resonant imduction(dont remember which build, but months ago the one I was on was pretty stable) and mad science (UE mod that adds evil scientist themed macjines)

Months ago RI doesn't compare to the current version. I think it's worth sacrificing stability for it.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
So what is new in it?

It merged with Assembly Line, added a fluid system, made it's wires multiparts, created a torque and speed based power system for early game, created entirely GUI-less ore processing and so much more. So much. Seriously have a look.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
It merged with Assembly Line, added a fluid system, made it's wires multiparts, created a torque and speed based power system for early game, created entirely GUI-less ore processing and so much more. So much. Seriously have a look.
IT MERGED WITH ASSEMBLY LINE?!