SSP V SMP on Home Computer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

samstar

Jul 29, 2019
So have been playing the Dw20 pack as SSP, but was wondering if there is an advantage to hosting the world as a server on my computer and playing that way.
Thanks

Bitty

Jul 29, 2019
Not really, unless you want others to join in. If you have a spare machine you're much better off setting up a server on that and connect over your LAN. That's where you can really see the benefit, because it offloads some of the heavy lifting to the server.

Netherus

Jul 29, 2019
I always play on a server that is run on my own pc. I play with some friends and almost never have any lagg issues.
I got a core i7 3930k @4,1 ghz and it looks like running the server on a seperate process uses more cores of the processor

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
I always play on a server that is run on my own pc. I play with some friends and almost never have any lagg issues.
I got a core i7 3930k @4,1 ghz and it looks like running the server on a seperate process uses more cores of the processor
Uh, obviously? You want it to use a different core. I would say 2-3 gigs on client (unless you have texturepack) and 4-6 gigs on server with client on one core, server on another would be perfect, if not overkill until you start chunkloading crazy contraptions.

EDIT: disregard me, I misunderstood what you said I think. I am an idiot.