Some Thanks to the FTB Forum Community

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
Hi folks,

I wanted to take a moment off from the usual chasing-people-around-with-a-banhammer hijinks and sit down and say some thanks to the FTB Forum Community here. Since you mostly see me running around chasing people with said hammer, you probably think I'm some angry man with a banhammer who likes running around chasing people with it.

;)

That noted, I'd like to say that this remains one of the better Internet communities I have run across. While I don't have a specific name-by-name list of folks I'd like to say thanks to like Jadedcat had for Thanksgiving, I do want to give some general thanks here. Thank you to you guys; you comprise this community and ultimately are the ones who make it work. In particular, my personal thanks go out to:
  • Folks who take pains to have their intelligent and insightful debates without feeling the need to leap into name-calling and/or general belligerence towards folks with other views in that same debate. We're a very spirited bunch of people here, but we can generally talk about most topics without it being "instant flame war, please add gasoline".
  • Folks who take the time out to hammer away at the copious amount of requests we get in Tech Support. It's a lot of stuff, and sometimes it can try the patience of saints. (Also, if you'd like to help out on this front and have Mac/Linux experience and know what you are talking about, we want you.)
  • Folks who jump in and provide input on the various questions people ask every day here about all the fun things with mods. Figuring this stuff out together is part of why we're here, after all.
  • Folks who, looking for Tech Support, use the search function first and go through the troubleshooting steps before opening a new thread.
  • Folks who, having received Tech Support, loop back and say "hey, this resolved my issue". This helps the folks above. =)
  • Folks who take the time out to write guides and crunch the numbers so those of us of a lazier disposition can just link to your findings rather than get off our butts and do it ourselves. Thinking is hard for me some days and you've saved thousands of the meager cells remaining to me. =)
  • Folks who, when they see something that breaches the Rules, use the Report button and don't take the bait to escalate the conversation into flaming. Sometimes it's super hard to walk away from an obvious challenge, heavens knows I fight those urges myself.
  • Folks who, when one of us has to jump in and say "cool your jets", "be nice", and the like, do so. You have no idea how much I hate having to do that, but what saddens me is when I've done it and I still have to pull out the Warning points afterwards because somebody didn't want to do it.
  • Folks who, when given specific direction by a moderator, follow it and don't make it into a public argument. This goes along with the above, but there are indeed some folks who instead decide they don't have to listen and thumb their noses in our faces.
  • Folks who, when they have a question or concern about moderation decisions, PM me with polite notes asking for clarification and sharing their opinion. I may not always be able to resolve things to your direct satisfaction, but taking the time to be considerate makes me inclined to go the extra mile for you when I can.
In short, thanks to all the people who make doing this something I can usually do quickly and easily throughout my day. I'm a writer by trade, so sitting down and hammering on a keyboard is what I do already. I also am very easily distracted from getting my "real work" done, particularly when something feels like I need to rush to try and put out a brush fire. I like being able to volunteer time here and not to feel like it's destroying my ability to take care of what actually pays my bills. You guys make this possible for me, and for that I am personally thankful. This past month in particular has been difficult for me in general due to some health-related problems, but moderating here hasn't been a burden on that (more vice versa, but this is why we have other moderators too, thankfully =)).

That's all. Banhammer chases resume now. =)

(P.S. Yes I'm late for it being Thanksgiving thanks. I'm a notable procrastinator too. =P)

Lawbroken

Jul 29, 2019
Since you mostly see me running around chasing people with said hammer, you probably think I'm some angry man with a banhammer who likes running around chasing people with it.

I wouldn't want it any other way.

And thank you for covering my ass while I got a job and have been working my ass off there. :p

Last edited:
Reactions: Vauthil

Jinbobo

Jul 29, 2019
5BPGP.png

This shall be my ultimate goal.