So this whole Gregtech thing.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
So first is we are at a point now where there are several mod developers that no longer provide any tech support to any collection of mods where Gregtech is involved.

Sounds like some sort of battle going on?

Obviously greg's code that shut down the game if TiC was installed pissed people off, its too bad because he is the only mod developer that has a grasp on game balance IMO.

not saying he got it all right with the manual tools and such, but in DW20 1.5 that I am playing now, the balance is not really much fun at all. It is very easy and cheap to get lots of power and resources, and there is very little to spend those resources on, and not much use for that power.

In Ultimate I had 8 boilers just to get rolling with gregtech (matter fab) and looked forward to new items to craft once I did.

In DW20, what do I run a mass fab for? Glowstone I guess. Making a quantum suit isnt really worth it with MPS installed. Thankfully the recipes for MPS are harder than in Ultimate at least, and its slower, takes more power, etc. Still not hard to charge it.

With gregtech I remember having 2000 diamonds in storage and using them all, and then using coal to make more. Why people complain about a mod that actaully gives you a use for all those resources sitting around, i will never know.

er... honestly the 2000 diamonds was overkill, even for gregtech.

Spidey

Jul 29, 2019
I think the DW20 pack is more for casual players who don't want to spend too much time on one thing. The 1.6 packs just came out, so my guess is to wait a few weeks so the dev's and the ftb team can tune/fix/remove/add stuff.

Reactions: Flipz

DarkWasp

Jul 29, 2019
The way it works for me specifically.

Without GT: A bunch of mods are added to MC and I get to have fun checking out their quick tech trees and seeing what they can do.

With GT: The mod pack is like a whole new game where I have long term goals and months of stuff to look forward to while you're still remodeling/upgrading my other stuff.

PsionicArchon

Jul 29, 2019
You missed my point completely Psionic. Why does mod "x" has to interfere with mod "y" in the first place? Because the dev of mod "x" doesn't like what mod "y" does? Why didn't the dev of mod "x" removed mod "y" from his modlist then? You can do whatever you wan't with your game, but why messing with other peoples game who play with mod "x" and mod "y"?

As it currently stands, modifying the code of someone elses mod and, releasing that as your own is unacceptable (for good reason). That leaves one option, design a mod that modifies other mods. FTB isn't re-distributing Minecraft as their own product, are they? If mod X clearly states that it modifies mod Y or has a reputation for modifying mod Y you should expect it to modify mod Y. If you're going to install mod X after having been warned only to complain about modifications to mod Y well, I'm sure you can understand why I find this line of thinking rather silly.

I would definitely play a mod that added giant mechanical pink chickens!

Since there isn't one, maybe I could create that myself. (But if greg turns my chickens blue or changes the recipe for them so that everyone who plays our mods at the same time in a pack has to use 13 iridium plates to craft them I'm gonna be ticked.)

As I stated above, I can't wrap my mind around this line of thinking. If a mod decides to 'balance' my almighty pink chickens by increasing their cost and, blatantly states that it will be doing so I should not be surprised to find out that my pink chickens have increased in cost. In ten years of modding my games I've never once installed a mod only to complain about what it modifies. To me, that just doesn't make any sense. For example: There's a Dawn Of War mod I'm using that adds several Warhammer races to the game. There's also a mod that attempts to balance a few of these races, with great success. As a result, some units can no longer be produced. I suppose, by the average line of thinking demonstrated on these forums, I should complain to the developer of the balancing mod about missing units after clearly being warned that units would be missing?

Some pretty good points have already been raised and, all in all I suppose people are wondering why GT supporters don't just manually install the mod. I have a simple answer. Not everyone enjoys (no one enjoys?) tinkering with item ids for several hours. Back in 1.4.7 I used to pop into random servers when my friends weren't around simply to have someone to play with. It just so happens that FTB is overwhelmingly popular, with most modded servers opting to support FTB packs. My preference being for having GT installed.. I'm kind of being cut off from a lot of potential servers.

I feel as though this is being handled very unprofessionally and, that includes all developers involved in the TiC/Gregtech crash that likely caused all of this in the first place. Much like BoP, it'd be nice if Gregtech were included and, disabled by default. This appeases Gregtech and non Gregtech users.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I feel as though this is being handled very unprofessionally and, that includes all developers involved in the TiC/Gregtech crash that likely caused all of this in the first place. Much like BoP, it'd be nice if Gregtech were included and, disabled by default. This appeases Gregtech and non Gregtech users.

I think the problem with this though is that the configuration files need to be balanced exactly the same in case you've Gregtech enabled, or not. but because Gregtech can change certain parts of the game and other mods, it'll be quite difficult to have the configurations work perfectly for both cases.

I guess the biggest reason why Gregtech is not included right now is because it's not compatible with the experimental branch of IC2. IC2 is no longer being worked on if I'm right, all work should've now gone towards IC2 experimental, so adding gregtech would force FTB to use the old version of IC2 which is no longer being supported... so if there was a problem with IC2, it would no longer get fixed. and you'd obviously get people complaining why FTB is using the old IC2 and now the new IC2 experimental...

Spidey

Jul 29, 2019
I guess the biggest reason why Gregtech is not included right now is because it's not compatible with the experimental branch of IC2. IC2 is no longer being worked on if I'm right, all work should've now gone towards IC2 experimental, so adding gregtech would force FTB to use the old version of IC2 which is no longer being supported... so if there was a problem with IC2, it would no longer get fixed. and you'd obviously get people complaining why FTB is using the old IC2 and now the new IC2 experimental...

It is compatible (would be a little bit of shame for Greg since he is doing all the background stuff on IC2 now). I also think that bug's are still beeing fixed. IC2 is now some sort of plattform where other dev's can create add-on's for it.

Uristqwerty

Jul 29, 2019
4.04s
Requires Update to IC²-exp-292 or later.
4.05l
Requires IC² 316 or it will bug the hell outta you.
V4.05n:
Requires IC² 328.

GregTech is, as far as I am aware, only ever briefly incompatible with IC² experimental, usually from the time IC² changes something until the next GregTech version (which can often be less than a day). It'll probably continue that way until IC² is stable.

I think that what Slowpoke was referring to in the first post would have either been that there was one of those brief update gaps at the time, or that GregTech requires a more recent version of IC²-experimental than they are using in the packs at the moment.

Reactions: xbony2

Excalibur42

Jul 29, 2019
I'm just wondering why the FTB team don't just resolve this by making two packs unleashed successor packs, one with GregTech and one without, and have configs available for the GregTech one so people can choose between easy, medium and hard difficulties. With the new launcher that will be able to refine the downloading and updating process, having two separate packs with and without GregTech wouldn't be so bad.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
By the way, GregTech intention is to compatible with any forge mod.

Bull. That ... dousen't care about other mods. His resent highly questionable act was to hack forge to force ably make his mod dominant. And that no other mods can alter his changes.
Changing root code like this guarantees that any mod that has problems with his mod has to make changes to his whim. And that there will be many problems.

I can't imagen that the forge crew allowed him to keep that code though.

Status
Not open for further replies.