Simple railcraft tank question

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Pentarctagon

Jul 29, 2019
I have a tank for sewage, which is getting filled by cows. How do I pipe the sewage out of the tank? I have an emerald fluid pipe, connected to golden fluid pipes leading to the reactant dynamo, but no fluid is flowing.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
OK, as you didn't specify i'm going to assume that one of the following is true:

A) you are trying to pipe liquid out without attaching the pipe to a valve. You need a tank valve to get fluids out aswell as in (although it can't be both at once obviously). Extraction valves can only be on the 2nd from bottom layer (as in the one directly above the base of the tank).

or

B) You don't have a redstone engine or BC gate on the emerald pipe, which is why it isn't extracting.

If neither of these is true, i'm not sure unless you give us more info.

Oh and TE3 fluiducts are better and easier to use than BC fluid pipes these days ;)

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
A) you are trying to pipe liquid out without attaching the pipe to a valve. You need a tank valve to get fluids out aswell as in (although it can't be both at once obviously). Extraction valves can only be on the 2nd from bottom layer (as in the one directly above the base of the tank).
Clarification: Valves also work when placed in the underside of the tank, in addition to the lowest layer of the sides above the bottom frame (which must be tank wall). That is, if you build your tank on the ground (and not set into the ground), you can't extract from any valves above head height.

And, as said, you need a valve, and the emerald pipe must be powered. You can use any Buildcraft engine (redstone engines are popular, since they use no fuel- also note that they do need a redstone signal) or an autarchic gate.

Side note with autarchic gates: If you use any tier higher than the lowest, you can set multiple conditions to "Energy Pulser", and each will double the energy produced. A diamond autarchic gate on a wooden item transport pipe with seven Energy Pulsers set will pull out a stack of items at a time, although I'm not sure if it would help much on a fluid pipe.

Reactions: buggirlexpres

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
OK, as you didn't specify i'm going to assume that one of the following is true:

or

B) You don't have a redstone engine or BC gate on the emerald pipe, which is why it isn't extracting.

If neither of these is true, i'm not sure unless you give us more info.

Oh and TE3 fluiducts are better and easier to use than BC fluid pipes these days ;)
I think you've nailed it. :)
For any Railcraft Tank, the Valve is required, and provides the use of outputting and inputting fluids.
Though I'm sure a Wooden Fluid Pipe is needed to extract a liquid, of course providing it with a Redstone Engine etc.?

Narc

Jul 29, 2019
Valves placed on the bottom layer of a tank will automatically eject fluid -- no extraction is necessary. And further note, tanks can be mounted on top of each other, as long as both tanks have a valve where they meet. Fluids piped into the top tank will automatically flow down into the bottom one (as a natural consequence of the aforementioned automatic ejection).[DOUBLEPOST=1404111982][/DOUBLEPOST]
Side note with autarchic gates: If you use any tier higher than the lowest, you can set multiple conditions to "Energy Pulser", and each will double the energy produced. A diamond autarchic gate on a wooden item transport pipe with seven Energy Pulsers set will pull out a stack of items at a time, although I'm not sure if it would help much on a fluid pipe.
That sounds like a bug.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
That sounds like a bug.
Intentional :)
Indeed. I'm pretty sure it's always worked that way, and was deliberately coded as such.

But really, you need diamond gates to get really crazy. An iron gate can only pull two items at once, and a gold gate only eight.
Even a diamond gate pulling a few stacks of items every second isn't nearly as fast as a Redstone Energy Cell set to output 64MJ/t back in the days before RF- a stack every tick, or twenty stacks per second.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I always put valve blocks at the bottom of all 4 sides of my railcraft tanks. Then I attach a TE3 fluiduct to any of the valves, use a crescent hammer to change the direction of flow, and finally add a pneumatic servo to the fluiduct and set the redstone signal on the fluiduct to "ignored".

Now I have fluid coming from the tank which can be piped anywhere. I generally put a TE3 tesseract on the end of the fluiduct, give the channel a descriptive name "SEWAGE OUT" and set it to "send fluid" - now I have that fluid coming out of any tesseract anywhere in the world that I set to that channel and also set to "receive fluid"

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Any output values have to be on the bottom/bottom layer of the side, of any tank. This is intentional as you shouldn't be able to pump liquids out of a tank, if the liquid level is below the valve.

If you are wondering if this is intentional or not, this has existed since 1.4.7, maybe before. (That is when I started FTB).

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
But the valve still has to be near the bottom even if the tank is full.
This is true. Xycraft tanks exhibited this behaviour. It might just be simply an oversight, since most people wouldn't think to use the valves as a way to control output. Xycraft even had level emitters for his tanks. Xycraft 1.7.x pls.

Narc

Jul 29, 2019
This is true. Xycraft tanks exhibited this behaviour. It might just be simply an oversight, since most people wouldn't think to use the valves as a way to control output. Xycraft even had level emitters for his tanks. Xycraft 1.7.x pls.
You could do partial-output gating with two or more RC tanks on top of each other, since each can output independently of the others. I could even think of a reason to do it: power the manually-operated machines in your base from the bottom-most tank (always on), your AE system from the next tank up (on if previous tank is full), and everything else from a third, top tank.

The smallest RC iron tank is 576 buckets (3x4x3x16), which sounds like a pretty decent buffer. I think dynamos still consume fuel when completely full, though, so if you didn't log in for long enough on a chunk-loaded server, you might find even the manual-operation tank dry. No idea how long "long enough" would be, though. Why does nobody have (easily googleable) values for the fuel consumption rate of all the dynamos?

Edit: I looked at the code and then realized I already had all the pieces: minimum power generated (4 RF/t, wasted when dynamo buffer is full) and RF produced per fuel (for compression dynamos running on BC fuel, 1,500 RF/mB). So at minimum power, an idling compression dynamo will eat through a bucket of fuel in 375,000 ticks, or 18,750 seconds, or ~5.2 hours. So 576 buckets will produce 2,995 hour-dynamos of idling RF, which is 124.8 days with a single dynamo, or 15.6 days with eight dynamos.

Man, that was fun to work out. See if you can follow my math!

Fun fact: the compression dynamo fuel registry won't accept fuels which generate less than 10,000 RF per bucket! Likewise, no coolants lasting for less than 10,000 RF's worth of generation.

Last edited: