Server Lag

Bigredpit

Jul 29, 2019
I just recently created a server on an old computer that I have. The server was intended to hold 3-4 people at one time. When 3 people logged onto the server it had severe block lag and just general lag. I tried changing the startup code, but I am not very good at programming so that helped the lag but didn't fix it. Here is the code I found online: java -Xmx1200M -Xms1200M -jar mindcrack.jar --nojline PAUSE. I was just wondering if anyone could help me with this problem. I would also be willing to take a few mods off of the server if that is necessary. My computer specs are below:

Processor: 2.80 GHz Processor
RAM: 4GB
Storage: 135GB
Operating System: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Also, more info is needed about the actual specs of that computer. How many cores is it, what's the exact processor? Is it a Solid State Drive or a traditional Hard Disk Drive? Is it 32 or 64 bit? Is it a laptop or desktop?

Ideally, it would be be a recent Intel processor thats 2 or more cores, with a SSD. If its 64 bit, then make sure to use 64 bit java. Also keep in mind that desktops are usually more powerful than laptops.

Not to further rain on the awesome parade that is Minecraft, but the machine simply may be underpowered for Minecraft, its a rather demanding application.

TheSandwichMakr

Jul 29, 2019
I'm guessing the issue is your internet speed. Go to speedtest.net on the computer running the server and post the result here.

Bigredpit

Jul 29, 2019
The computer is a Dimension 9100, which is a desktop. The processor is an Intel Pentium D 2.80GHz and it is a 32-bit machine running windows. Also I have successfully hosted a normal Minecraft server without any problems. Here is my speed test: http://www.speedtest.net/result/2458037382.png

2458037382.png

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Hardware seems to be the problem. That is fairly underpowered, heavily modded Minecraft is a lot more demanding than normal Minecraft.

Check this link for a bat file that should help the server run a little smoother. It gives the server 1 gigabyte of memory, which should be plenty.

If possible, I would suggest getting a 64 bit linux distro installed, and removing Windows. I use MineOS, but you can pick whatever you want. MineOS is nothing more than a simple console input and java. You just use Putty and a FTP file transfer program to manage it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e0fbijzoymylyne/Server Start.bat

nallar

Jul 29, 2019
That could be an issue with your upload speed - it's rather low, and redpower especially tends to send far too many packets.

Can you get a debug log? Run /debug start, wait a minute, run /debug stop and pastebin it. It will be saved in the "debugs" folder in your server directory.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
As long as they don't build a bunch of laggy things like frame quarries, it should be fine with 3 to 4 people, although, don't push it, 2 - 3 is better, and you will lag when new chunks get loaded.

Bigredpit

Jul 29, 2019
I attached the debug I ran. How much is it to get 64 bit Linux Distro? Also I would be willing to delete some mods if that is possible.

Attachments

• profile-results-2013-01-24_15.55.47.txt
    3 KB · Views: 110

nallar

Jul 29, 2019
I attached the debug I ran. How much is it to get 64 bit Linux Distro? Also I would be willing to delete some mods if that is possible.
That debug shows that the server is managing to keep up, at 20TPS. It is very likely that whatever problem you have is a network issue.

(Although the profile only tells about the time you were running the profile. Make sure you run it while you're having issues.)

glasspelican

Jul 29, 2019
With 32 bit java there is a low limit on how much ram can be allocated to the server.
I believe its about 1.2 or 1.8 gig
for your server you will want to have 3 gig assigned to the server
when 3 people are on my server it can take up to 1.5 gig

How much is it to get 64 bit Linux Distro?
there is no cost if you mean $
only in time and skill
If your use to windows I recommend sticking to lubuntu
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/GetLubuntu

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019

Linux is free. MineOS is the best OS for barebones MineCraft server hosting, no questions asked. Its nothing but Java, along with some very basic tools for remotely managing a server. Look here to get started. http://minecraft.codeemo.com/