Regarding Private Modpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDRKhat

Jul 29, 2019
So. I have a question as to WHAT a private mod pack is defined as. And how it is handled here.
I get the concept of "Private" but this seems to be rather odd here. The code that you receive is allowed to be distributed to people coming to your servers, from what I have read.
What about a mod pack for a map? Is the code allowed to be distributed for that? or is it considered "Public" if it's posted in the topic?
If a mod pack is made for a map and the code is NOT posted in the topic (But people can receive it from me via PM) is this considered "Public" or "Private"?
Do I need to host the mod pack some place on the internet myself, or do yourselves upload a file?
Do I need to set up a mod pack environment myself and then give a zipped version to yourselves?

Thank you in advance for answers to my questions.

Cozie

Jul 29, 2019
As far as I understand it:
- When you post the code publicly(forum,website,...), it's not private anymore and you are in violation. (your pack will be taken down)
- You need to follow the guidlines posted in the third party modpack part of the forums. (so you provide the pack yourself, completely configured on a dropbox or something where they can access it)

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
A private pack is a modpack intended to be distributed to a limited number of people. Normally this is for the purpose of allowing people to play together on a custom server. While in theory you could bundle it with a map, unless you were only planning to give it to a small, select group of people, it would be hard to keep it private.

You build the modpack as a multiMC instance, get and document permissions for all the mods, then pm to the modpack team. If it gets in the launcher, the actual download will be hosted by us, but you need to keep up whatever method you used to document permissions. ie. if you have a website that shows all the permissions, then you have to keep that up.

Reactions: Ashzification

vibur

Jul 29, 2019
You build the modpack as a multiMC instance, get and document permissions for all the mods, then pm to the modpack team. If it gets in the launcher, the actual download will be hosted by us, but you need to keep up whatever method you used to document permissions. ie. if you have a website that shows all the permissions, then you have to keep that up.
That the community-at-large feels this is necessary in order to package and distribute mods for and to users of a particular server is a testament to how much the community has been tainted by Curse and it's managing of the MCF.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
That the community-at-large feels this is necessary in order to package and distribute mods for and to users of a particular server is a testament to how much the community has been tainted by Curse and it's managing of the MCF.
This has nothing to do with the community and everything to do with the wishes of the mod authors. While personally, I would wish that all mods would allow open distribution, I, and FTB, respect the mod authors wishes.

vibur

Jul 29, 2019
This has nothing to do with the community and everything to do with the wishes of the mod authors. While personally, I would wish that all mods would allow open distribution, I, and FTB, respect the mod authors wishes.
I would argue that the mod authors, you, and the rest of the FTB crew are part of that community and their wishes were influenced in no small part by the mismanagement of OMGCOPYRIGHT by the Curse people but let me rephrase:

That the community-at-large (which includes server admins, mod authors, forum staffs, Let's Play videographers, modpack compilers, texture pack artists, and people who just want to play with digital Lego) feels it is acceptable for this step to be necessary in order to package and distribute mods for and to users of a particular server is a testament to how much the community has been tainted by Curse and it's managing of the MCF.

afa7336

Jul 29, 2019
I would argue that the mod authors, you, and the rest of the FTB crew are part of that community and their wishes were influenced in no small part by the mismanagement of OMGCOPYRIGHT by the Curse people but let me rephrase:

That the community-at-large (which includes server admins, mod authors, forum staffs, Let's Play videographers, modpack compilers, texture pack artists, and people who just want to play with digital Lego) feels it is acceptable for this step to be necessary in order to package and distribute mods for and to users of a particular server is a testament to how much the community has been tainted by Curse and it's managing of the MCF.

There are at least 3-4 other communities that I know of and can name, through research into the copyrights of mod authors, that respect the copyrights of the original creators, and have not been influenced by Curse or anyone of the like. (Yes I actually researched it, along with talking with a friend whose job is a Corporate IP/Copyright Lawyer. Some interesting people play MU*s don't you know. ;) )

delicateglow

Jul 29, 2019
Mmm, I have one question regarding the private pack code.
If I posted it on a forum, but only people registered can see it, would it violate the private pack rules?

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
Mmm, I have one question regarding the private pack code.
If I posted it on a forum, but only people registered can see it, would it violate the private pack rules?
If it is anywhere on the internet that someone can access it without first registering somehow, then it is not private.
If it was a forum where only registered people could see it, that would be fine.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
Well, I WAS only interested in stating an opinion. Next time I'll be sure to check with you on whether or not the deadline has passed.
Hey, cool down, you're the only here who is mad about anything.

Reactions: afa7336

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I WAS only interested in stating an opinion. Next time I'll be sure to check with you on whether or not the deadline has passed.
I'm sorry, I seem to have offended you by stating that the discussion was held already. (I am not the first to request the subject be left alone)
Please accept my apology. If, in the future, you would like an invitation to a discussion such as this, I will gladly provide you with one.

Reactions: afa7336

DDRKhat

Jul 29, 2019
A private pack is a modpack intended to be distributed to a limited number of people. Normally this is for the purpose of allowing people to play together on a custom server. While in theory you could bundle it with a map, unless you were only planning to give it to a small, select group of people, it would be hard to keep it private.

Do you have a finite number as to how many is "a few" ?

vibur

Jul 29, 2019
Hey, cool down, you're the only here who is mad about anything.
Not at all. I'm just very disappointed that this (meaning requiring a permission list for private servers) is where the copyright brouhaha has led us.
I'm sorry, I seem to have offended you by stating that the discussion was held already.
I think you'll find that implying that one shouldn't speak on a topic because you've had your fill of it will offend anyone.
Please accept my apology.
Apology accepted.

Reactions: Mooseman9

Greevir

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, enough with the jabs back and forth, please. This thread is now about puppies.
tumblr_m4frqhdW0k1rwpusuo1_500.jpg

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
Do you have a finite number as to how many is "a few" ?
Nope, the point is that any random person can't just find the code for the private pack anywhere. The "few" could be as many as 500 or more if you had a community that large.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
Nope, the point is that any random person can't just find the code for the private pack anywhere. The "few" could be as many as 500 or more if you had a community that large.
Few meaning a closed or restricted community.
Not meaning: open server

Basically?

Status
Not open for further replies.