Redstone Energy Cell

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

warfighter67

Jul 29, 2019
even in the relatively short term, it would be cheaper to craft another quarry (which you could place next to the first) and use the energy cell to feed them both 10MJ than it would be feed one quarry 100MJ (10x the required power) to get 2 times the speed.
I don't think he meant that he used 100MJ to power the quarry that fast. Logically, the speed of a quarry would be linearly or even logarithmically proportional to the amount of power it receives. Although I'm not saying it can't be radically proportional; it just wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to me at least.

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
Indeed. I only tested what I mentioned. I did not feel like spending hours trying to figure out the specifics of it all:) If I did, I would just go straight to reading the source code as BC is open source.

I was merely trying to see if there was a substantial speed increase for using some number more than 10 MJ/T. For a quick test, and an easy answer...it's best to start with a ridiculous number. So, I opted for 100 times the previous max of 10 MJ/T and actually went further than that though I didn't add it all up. I then saw a substantial speed increase, and reported that here.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Quarry speed should indeed scale linearly with power input up to a ceiling, unless the mechanics were redone from the ground up. As it works right now, the quarry pays a certain cost in MJ to travel to the next block, and then it pays a certain cost in MJ to mine that block. If it gets fed energy faster, it can pay these costs faster, thus it moves faster.

Decrayer

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, I got another question that is quite close with that topic: What are the new energy pipes for? In the Thermal Expansion Wiki it says:

They will supply power to (or accept it from) any object that accepts BuildCraft energy (or sends BuildCraft energy) using the BuildCraft API. There is energy loss, it is not distance based; suffice it to say that these are indeed an improvement over conductive pipes.

But in my own game I tested them and they sucked a lot of energy. I noticed that since I used the same Powerplant as with normal gold pipes and now all my thermal expansion machines got only 1/3 of the energy they needed to run on full power. What do they mean with "energy loss is not distance based"? How is the energy loss calculated?

Ah, and another thing I noticed: If I place them next to a normal golden conductive pipe, the power only goes from the conductive pipe into them, but not the way back.

damnedsky

Jul 29, 2019
Not so sure about "normal" there, whilst theres no issue with using them that way, I use them in a totally different manner.
Firstly I use them in a powerplant to smooth out and regulate power consumption vs generation (I have 10 in series holding 5m MJ), I also place them at spur points on my power network to ensure certain spurs get power even if the network is otherwise out of power, and I finally use them either on spurs or directly hooked up to machines and the power network, but set to say 1 MJ output per tick to stop Forestry machines eating all my power whilst doing nothing in return.[...]
I like your thoughts here. Power management within a system FTW! I am indeed inclined in using the portable energy aspect of the cell. I also like(and will use) the 1 cell per 1 forestry machine deal, especially with Fermenters.

Greyed

Jul 29, 2019
But in my own game I tested them and they sucked a lot of energy. I noticed that since I used the same Powerplant as with normal gold pipes and now all my thermal expansion machines got only 1/3 of the energy they needed to run on full power. What do they mean with "energy loss is not distance based"? How is the energy loss calculated?

How did you measure it? I mean, do you have any kind of storage on the line, like a Redstone Storage Cell? If you just replaced them, turned on the engines and ran to your machines, yes, you're going to see much less power. Why? Because the Redstone Energy Conduits are also mini-batteries. Each holds some amount of MJ, about 1000 if I can believe the Oracle of Google. Anyway, until your conduits fill up only a part of the power will get to your machines. The flip side is that if you suffer an interruption anywhere along the line your machines will still chug away as they are being fed from the excess power in the conduits. This allows you to make adjustments to the network on the fly without suffering a loss of production.

As for the energy loss it is time based per block, not distance based like other power networks like IC2, RP2 and BC3.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
How did you measure it? I mean, do you have any kind of storage on the line, like a Redstone Storage Cell? If you just replaced them, turned on the engines and ran to your machines, yes, you're going to see much less power. Why? Because the Redstone Energy Conduits are also mini-batteries. Each holds some amount of MJ, about 1000 if I can believe the Oracle of Google. Anyway, until your conduits fill up only a part of the power will get to your machines. The flip side is that if you suffer an interruption anywhere along the line your machines will still chug away as they are being fed from the excess power in the conduits. This allows you to make adjustments to the network on the fly without suffering a loss of production.

As for the energy loss it is time based per block, not distance based like other power networks like IC2, RP2 and BC3.
No no, all the energy goes through as soon as it can, the conduits do not steal it if something needs power. Distance based means per block and the conduits do not suffer from it at all. In tests done by me and other people only 1MJ has been lost in some cases, probably due to rounding if decimals are used.

Greyed

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, I am quite aware of what distance based is. Which is why I said the loss for REC's aren't distance based, they are time and block based. IE, each REC will lose x MJ per y time. I don't have the numbers off the top of my head but that has been confirmed in tests (EDIT: Source - http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/redstone-energy-conduits.2263/#post-22055 ). So a REC will transmit 100% power over a certain distance unless you hit the energy loss of one of the blocks. And that energy loss comes from the REC's internal storage losing MJ and being refilled.

Reactions: damnedsky

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, I am quite aware of what distance based is. Which is why I said the loss for REC's aren't distance based, they are time and block based. IE, each REC will lose x MJ per y time. I don't have the numbers off the top of my head but that has been confirmed in tests. So a REC will transmit 100% power over a certain distance unless you hit the energy loss of one of the blocks. And that energy loss comes from the REC's internal storage losing MJ and being refilled.
Yeah well, that was already discussed that distance doesn't matter. It is mentioned on the wiki. But okay, you say that if the power is stagnant it will dissipate? If so, slapping an energy cell right next to machines would keep all of the power as they should not request it if they are full and therefore keeping the conduits empty.

Greyed

Jul 29, 2019
You're confusing distance with per block. Distance means the distance the energy travels. In other systems the further the energy travels, the more energy is lost based on the medium.

REC's lose no energy that way. But they do store energy internally and that energy will dissipate over time. That is a per block, wait, better term, per conduit, issue. In case you missed it I did edit the above response to include the source that I cam drawing from. He explains it a tad better.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
You're confusing distance with per block. Distance means the distance the energy travels. In other systems the further the energy travels, the more energy is lost based on the medium.

REC's lose no energy that way. But they do store energy internally and that energy will dissipate over time. That is a per block, wait, better term, per conduit, issue. In case you missed it I did edit the above response to include the source that I cam drawing from. He explains it a tad better.
I'd say it's confusing to say it like that when distance based say how much is lost per block of distance. But I have been aware of how it works all this time. What isn't specified exactly is how long it takes for 1 MJ to dissipate. The fact that conduits can store power is a good and a bad thing. Good thing is that you have some storage ability without energy cells but bad thing is that you can lose quite a lot of power if it sits still in there. But I guess it gets dissipated anyway if there is any power going through. Again, the rate of that would be nice to know.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
I'd say it's confusing to say it like that when distance based say how much is lost per block of distance. But I have been aware of how it works all this time. What isn't specified exactly is how long it takes for 1 MJ to dissipate. The fact that conduits can store power is a good and a bad thing. Good thing is that you have some storage ability without energy cells but bad thing is that you can lose quite a lot of power if it sits still in there. But I guess it gets dissipated anyway if there is any power going through. Again, the rate of that would be nice to know.
It's actually in the config:
Code:
energy.grid.loss=5
I'm guessing that's seconds.

Danwatson

Jul 29, 2019
Hey everyone, I've recently been having troubles with my newely crafted redstone energy cell. When I destroy it, it does not retain any of it's power and loses it all.. Can someone help, that would be nice :D

Deiaros

Jul 29, 2019
You have to Shift-Right click with either a crescent hammer or a Omni tool, and the energy cell will retain charge

Reactions: Guswut

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
And it's needed to resurrect a four month old thread for this? Srsly.. it's not even needed to use the searchfunction (as we all know how complex and confusing that textbox up there can be to use it properly), theres this thread on the very frontpage of this forum: Ask a simple question, get a simple answer.

I hate being all fakemoderator.. but this is kinda ridiculous.

Danwatson

Jul 29, 2019
Listen, you don't have to be an asshole about it, I was simply asking a question on a forum thread that was in some way, related to the problem I was experiencing. Isn't that what this forums is about? To help people if they need it? I'm sorry if I've 'disturbed' you in any way by 'resurrecting' a 4 month old thread but to be honest, what difference does it make. Jackass..