Redesign my house...

XLT_Frank

Jul 29, 2019
So this took a lot of time to do... mostly the roof. That alone is keeping from making fixing the house to have it two stories where the first floor is up higher by a block. I don't like the style even though I was trying to go for a woods cottage theme.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Frank

Attachments

• 2014-12-31_00.08.01.png
    2014-12-31_00.08.01.png
    632.6 KB · Views: 187
  • 2014-12-31_00.08.13.png
    2014-12-31_00.08.13.png
    539.1 KB · Views: 174
  • 2014-12-31_00.08.21.png
    2014-12-31_00.08.21.png
    531.2 KB · Views: 172

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Wooden beam inlays in the brickwork might work.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe instead of trying to raise the roof, lower the floor 1 block and extend it that direction. It should be a whole lot easier to address the landscaping around the house that to redo all the carpenter's blocks used in the roof.

XLT_Frank

Jul 29, 2019
This is true. I however I cannot leave well enough alone and am going to tear it all down.

QuantumCookies

Jul 29, 2019
I would recommend making the corners out of logs, and possibly changing the windows to be smaller. It looks more like a church right now. Honestly, I'm not sure that a stone brick house belongs in the forest, if that's the theme you're going for. Maybe wood, wool or even cobble would work instead. I find that almost always, minecraft houses look better if they don't conflict with their surroundings material-wise (there are exceptions of course).
tl;dr Use more wood if you want to keep the forest cottage theme.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Conversely, I've always preferred contrast. Whatever you're building is by it's nature going to stand out from it's surroundings unless you go to the trouble of disguising it. So I prefer to use materials that stand out. Jungle wood planks in an oak forest for example. Or brick blocks on a mountainside. I'm changing the world one block at a time, so the more it stands out the better.

QuantumCookies

Jul 29, 2019
Conversely, I've always preferred contrast. Whatever you're building is by it's nature going to stand out from it's surroundings unless you go to the trouble of disguising it. So I prefer to use materials that stand out. Jungle wood planks in an oak forest for example. Or brick blocks on a mountainside. I'm changing the world one block at a time, so the more it stands out the better.
Conflict ≠ contrast. What I mean is that, for example a spruce wood house in the middle of a desert would look out of place and be less aesthetically pleasing than, perhaps, a sandstone house. Likewise, a stone brick house with little wood other than the roof doesn't really fit in the forest shown here.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Yeah, but it's the contrast that makes it. No, it doesn't fit aesthetically, but that's the point. True, sandstone looks all nice and everything, but then you spend forty-five minutes trying to find it after you've gone out looking for resources. So my desert houses now have that nice smooth sandstone base, with brick block walls and wood log pillars on the corner.

As a forester's home? No. As the home of a stone mason who uses charcoal to heat his home? Absolutely. Or just a charcoal maker who's successful enough to have had a house built out of stone.

Of course just changing it up so the bricks and wood logs alternate back and forth would have solved the problem instantly.

QuantumCookies

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, but it's the contrast that makes it. No, it doesn't fit aesthetically, but that's the point. True, sandstone looks all nice and everything, but then you spend forty-five minutes trying to find it after you've gone out looking for resources. So my desert houses now have that nice smooth sandstone base, with brick block walls and wood log pillars on the corner.

As a forester's home? No. As the home of a stone mason who uses charcoal to heat his home? Absolutely. Or just a charcoal maker who's successful enough to have had a house built out of stone.

Of course just changing it up so the bricks and wood logs alternate back and forth would have solved the problem instantly.
But he says himself that he's trying to build a "woods cottage", and he's unhappy with this build because it didn't end up looking that way.