Recording FTB Modpacks

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Adjgamer321

Jul 29, 2019
Hello! My friend and I have a Youtube channel that we are about to launch and I know theses packs are very popular so I wanted to know if it was legal to record, upload, and monetize footage of the pack. Thankyou! And I didn't know where to put this question so I put it here...

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Modpack maintainers have almost 0 rights to the work they do. You can take their configs and use their outputs with impunity. However, some mod authors think that they can restrict your use of their mod in monetized footage. My advice there is that they're stepping over a line far enough that you should just ignore them if they complain until a lawyer sends you a real C&D.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
Asking a forum like this is not a good way to get valid information.

1. Modpack creators have zero 'rights'. Does a librarian have "rights" to the books they sort? No.
2. You may want to actually ask mod creators, or read up on what can be done with mods in modpacks legally instead of taking the random word of people in the general forums of FTB and running off to start. -.-

Youre generally safe as Mojangs policy protects most LPs and that extends to the mods. Just dont try and distribute mods or minecraft itself on your own.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
2. You may want to actually ask mod creators, or read up on what can be done with mods in modpacks legally instead of taking the random word of people in the general forums of FTB and running off to start.

It's not even clear mod authors have these rights, since their work is well and firmly derivative no matter how much art they do. I'd welcome a C&D, because I've got a few lawyer friends who owe me favors.

On the other hand, I do think that mod authors have the right to restrict distribution of their actual software, which is the reason I adhere to those rules. And one of the reasons I am so happy about RR's public launch strategy.