ReactorCraft - clever reactor setups?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Israel Rodriguez

Jul 29, 2019
I've been working with ReactorCraft for a couple days now. I was wondering if the fusion reactor does not work in some dimensions, I've seen builds in other dimension so I'm not sure. I have rebuilt it in creative several times checking everything twice. The solenoid is at the correct height and spinning a bit over 32k nm. I used the little reactor helper thing to help place the magnets and even double checked them to make sure even that was correct. I have taken it completely down twice and rebuilt from scratch building ever part in sequence like in Reika's videos. I'm not sure what else I could be missing. This is actually my first attempt building the reactor. I have been debating whether to go to the overworld and build on just to see. Maybe there is some other conflict that is making it not work. I can not get the plasma to go around at all. The only thing that I can think of is that it will not work in the dimension i'm in. I'm in the space-station dimension of Galacticraft I would like to put it on top of my space-station. Any help would be great. I would hope not to have to rebuild it again.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
I've been working with ReactorCraft for a couple days now. I was wondering if the fusion reactor does not work in some dimensions, I've seen builds in other dimension so I'm not sure. I have rebuilt it in creative several times checking everything twice. The solenoid is at the correct height and spinning a bit over 32k nm. I used the little reactor helper thing to help place the magnets and even double checked them to make sure even that was correct. I have taken it completely down twice and rebuilt from scratch building ever part in sequence like in Reika's videos. I'm not sure what else I could be missing. This is actually my first attempt building the reactor. I have been debating whether to go to the overworld and build on just to see. Maybe there is some other conflict that is making it not work. I can not get the plasma to go around at all. The only thing that I can think of is that it will not work in the dimension i'm in. I'm in the space-station dimension of Galacticraft I would like to put it on top of my space-station. Any help would be great. I would hope not to have to rebuild it again.
I *think* the toroids need liquid nitrogen now. I believe it needs to be piped into the top.

Reactions: Reika

Israel Rodriguez

Jul 29, 2019
I *think* the toroids need liquid nitrogen now. I believe it needs to be piped into the top.

I noticed that in some of the photos I've seen but I could not find any documentation. is this a must for the magnets or optional for more efficiency? For now I'll try it with some creative tanks and see if it works.

Israel Rodriguez

Jul 29, 2019
Ok so that was what is was. I was kinda hoping it was optional. With the way you have to connect the pipes to the middle of the magnet. I think it take away from the awesome look of the reactor.

I hope he makes some changes to the way some of the blocks work. Ex. it would be nice to rotate the plasma injectors so they oriented with the pipe facing down or up, and it would be nice to have the Van Duff's hanging from the top of something. Also the ability to add or remove magnets to make the builds smaller or bigger would be nice.

Thanks for the help. I thought I was going to go crazy.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Just built a stable fission reactor.

Currently powers a HP turbine.

Here is the design:

http://i.imgur.com/UaloCDA.png

http://i.imgur.com/viRTlQQ.png

How are you adding fuel, do you have to bust the concrete each time?

Beware neutron leakage, depending on your version you may need more shielding horizontally.

The center reactor is only subject to it's own reflection, so it's a very poor producer of energy.

How are you dealing with the waste?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
The center reactor is only subject to it's own reflection, so it's a very poor producer of energy.
Good catch here.

In case that wasn't clear APproject: if (as we surmise) that's a reactor core in the centre, its not reacting with any other cores (because there are no cores in cardinal directions from that core) so that one is just wasting fuel.

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
Ok so that was what is was. I was kinda hoping it was optional. With the way you have to connect the pipes to the middle of the magnet. I think it take away from the awesome look of the reactor.

I hope he makes some changes to the way some of the blocks work. Ex. it would be nice to rotate the plasma injectors so they oriented with the pipe facing down or up, and it would be nice to have the Van Duff's hanging from the top of something. Also the ability to add or remove magnets to make the builds smaller or bigger would be nice.

Thanks for the help. I thought I was going to go crazy.

You don't need to take the pipe all the way to the center of the toroids. Just touching the top works fine, and looks fine.

You absolutely can make bigger and smaller fusion reactors (I've done both). The injectors are optional, and can be outside of the ring.

I'm not going to give specifics though, because they are changing with the very next version. ( I came across some issues as well as some exploits which Reika has fixed. Naturally, this will change things a bit. )

Reika has specifically said that he likes creative thinking with it, he just wants to make sure it remains balanced and rewards people for building it the correct way. ( For example, no full power fusion reactor that doesn't use coolant, have a solenoid, or any toroids. Standard design should be the most efficient. )

APproject

Jul 29, 2019
How are you adding fuel, do you have to bust the concrete each time?

Beware neutron leakage, depending on your version you may need more shielding horizontally.

How are you dealing with the waste?

Are leaked neutrons dangerous to anything besides me? I haven't been hit by one yet.

I realized after construction and review of the mechanics that the center core is useless. I'll probably replace it with a boiler since I have my steam production covered.

I've converted the concrete into concrete ender IO facades with item conduits that deliver uranium. Under the setup I have a transfer node supplying water and item conduits directing waste into a tesseract that leads to a rudimentary offsite waste facility. I had a waste spill earlier and it was catastrophic.

Reactions: Pyure

Israel Rodriguez

Jul 29, 2019
You don't need to take the pipe all the way to the center of the toroids. Just touching the top works fine, and looks fine.

You absolutely can make bigger and smaller fusion reactors (I've done both). The injectors are optional, and can be outside of the ring.

I'm not going to give specifics though, because they are changing with the very next version. ( I came across some issues as well as some exploits which Reika has fixed. Naturally, this will change things a bit. )

Reika has specifically said that he likes creative thinking with it, he just wants to make sure it remains balanced and rewards people for building it the correct way. ( For example, no full power fusion reactor that doesn't use coolant, have a solenoid, or any toroids. Standard design should be the most efficient. )

I read about some of those modifications. But I thought they were clever code changes you did. I have not tried messing with the code.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Are leaked neutrons dangerous to anything besides me? I haven't been hit by one yet.

I realized after construction and review of the mechanics that the center core is useless. I'll probably replace it with a boiler since I have my steam production covered.

I've converted the concrete into concrete ender IO facades with item conduits that deliver uranium. Under the setup I have a transfer node supplying water and item conduits directing waste into a tesseract that leads to a rudimentary offsite waste facility. I had a waste spill earlier and it was catastrophic.
Neutrons cause minor radiation leaks in large numbers.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019

Yep. They sicken you and can cause environmental effects (ie: stone to lava, kill plants and creatures). They do not cause fallout or permanent issues, just temporary when struck. You have to be inline with the core for that to happen. My reactors are shielded with a reflector and 3x steel blocks to ensure they are all contained.

You might could add 4 more around it to make a plus, but that will be a *very* hot reactor.

I like EnderIO for supply and removal of waste. I am using a dew point aggregator and a fluid compression chamber with Rotarycraft liquid pipes to supply water, it's super powerful.

As to waste, the storage isn't hard. You need one or two spent fuel containers, submerged and shielded. Do it right and the neutrons they emit can feedback into the reactor. These spit neutrons in all six directions, so more shielding is needed.

The other waste goes into long term storage, and these just need a closed room. If they aren't visible, they can't hurt you. I have mine near the reactor in a room with a walkaround wall for a doorway. EnderIO conduits move the waste in and it's pretty straightforward.

Posting again for comparison: https://imgur.com/a/Ky7BB

Don't forget to always chunkload when the reactor is active.

Reactions: Pyure

Israel Rodriguez

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a trick to the steam grate? I hook it to the steam line and nothing happens. There is over 300m3 in the line. Tried lever and redstone. Has this been changed?

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a trick to the steam grate? I hook it to the steam line and nothing happens. There is over 300m3 in the line. Tried lever and redstone. Has this been changed?

Just has to be under the smallest segment of the turbine. Redstone turns it off, so make sure you don't have a stray signal. It should release steam even without the turbine.

Israel Rodriguez

Jul 29, 2019
Just has to be under the smallest segment of the turbine. Redstone turns it off, so make sure you don't have a stray signal. It should release steam even without the turbine.
How far under? i've tried right under and a couple blocks under. I even hooked up a HP turbine. I have got to be missing something... You can see I have steam in the line.

2015-05-10_23.32.38.png
View attachment 18981

I've tried a couple different heights from the steam grates. I put together a HP turbine and it works off the steam from the line but the grates dont. My understanding was that the grates allow steam to "come into the world". I can get the HP turbine to work but not the grates.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
How far under? i've tried right under and a couple blocks under. I even hooked up a HP turbine. I have got to be missing something... You can see I have steam in the line.

View attachment 18979 View attachment 18981

I've tried a couple different heights from the steam grates. I put together a HP turbine and it works off the steam from the line but the grates dont. My understanding was that the grates allow steam to "come into the world". I can get the HP turbine to work but not the grates.

Have you tried steam line to the side? Also what version?

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
I read about some of those modifications. But I thought they were clever code changes you did. I have not tried messing with the code.

I did not mess with the code, I just looked at how it was coded. That was also only needed in the more extreme cases. Simple tweaks worked just fine without any of that knowledge. ( They do take some trial and error though. )

Turbine has nothing to do with the steam grate working or not. You can have steam grates pumping out steam without any turbine anywhere.

You appear to be in GC Space, and I think that could be affecting it:

Code:
if (InterfaceCache.IGALACTICWORLD.instanceOf(world.provider)) {
IGalacticraftWorldProvider ig = (IGalacticraftWorldProvider)world.provider;
if (ig.getSoundVolReductionAmount() > 1)
return false;
}

Basically, I think this means that if you are in space ( or perhaps just any low oxygen atmosphere, which causes the sound reduction ), it will not produce steam.

This should be fixable if you make it an oxygenated room.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com

You are missing one, possibly more pieces to the turbine setup. How old is the tutorial you are using? Is it this, which was 4 months out of date when it was posted?