Random Fortune I?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Riuga

Jul 29, 2019
So I added just 1 piece of lapis to my pick for the looks, not enough for F1 obv. Went mining. While mining some diamonds, it randomly got Fortune 1.

Bug or that "may happen before threshold" - red book / vol 2?

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
The last bit. You don't need to hit the thresholds to get the enchant - the thresholds just force it to upgrade. If you're lucky you can get fortune on a single lapis, but if you aren't you'll have to hit the threshold to get it.

Riuga

Jul 29, 2019
Do I need to mine something specific for it to increase Fortune? Or can I just spam cobble.

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019
So, is it more worthwhile to put on a single lapis and then mine coal for days until the Fortune pops up and then add more lapis to upgrade the Fortune, or throw all the Lapis you can on it at the start and then let normal operation up it the rest of the way?

(I'm totally confused as to how the Smite and Lucky modifiers work on TiC tools. :/ )

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
Well from what I gathered from the description it should've showed up when you added the lapis, but from what you're saying it got it after mining something?

Looking at some older posts in the thread mDiyo says if you're lucky you only need 300 lapis for fortune 3. Maybe luck adds a chance of getting fortune just by having it on the item though, since mDiyo did mention for scythes to get fortune you needed to kill stuff while it has luck.

Edit: Quote I pulled from the thread
Actually, from what I've seen, Luck mostly boost itself depend on how much you use the tool. I put 107 peices off Lapis on my hammer, and haven't added any since, but twe last time I went to repire my hammer it was at 228 peices of Lapis.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
1 only or 10 only, cause if it has 10 and you didn't add any manually, well there's the culprit. My guess would be any block that luck would work on would affect it, but a fast way to test this would be to get a hammer and pound some cobble.

Riuga

Jul 29, 2019
So after mining couple of coal veins redstone and whatnot (and cobble), the Lapis counter clearly rose by 5. : O

idk how many blocks I need to mine to get it to +1 Lapis tho. Seems random.

Mining 6 diamonds didn't even +1. Don't think it has anything to do with rarity.

Someone call mDiyo

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
My guess it that the counter goes up purely on luck. But yea, I think the minimum to guarantee fortune 1 is 150 lapis, fortune 2 300, and fortune 3 450.

Edit: Just tested a hammer hitting just stone and it increased the luck level on it, so you can in theory get to fortune 3 with just 1 lapis and lots of mining cobble.