Quick Sickle question

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Fyugre

Jul 29, 2019
Does using a Sickle affect the amount of saplings form silverwood trees in any way?

trunksbomb

Jul 29, 2019
To add to this- last time I used a sickle on Forestry-bred trees, I got absolutely no saplings. None. Zilch. Not sure what was up with that, maybe it's fixed, maybe it isn't. This was in the previous version of Mindcrack.

ThemsAllTook

Jul 29, 2019
To add to this- last time I used a sickle on Forestry-bred trees, I got absolutely no saplings. None. Zilch. Not sure what was up with that, maybe it's fixed, maybe it isn't. This was in the previous version of Mindcrack.

Same. My guess is that you only get a chance for a sapling drop from the leaf block you're aiming at with the sickle, not from the 20-odd other leaves it breaks in one swipe, but I haven't done a thorough test to be sure. No idea about silverwood trees though.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
There's a significantly lower chance to get saplings on forestry bred trees, it's just luck (or lack of). I know there is a certain item that will allow you to pick up saplings from any forestry bred tree with an 100% chance, but it has 4 or 5 uses. Don't know what it's called, haven't touched trees.

trunksbomb

Jul 29, 2019
The grafter is the item you're thinking of, jumpfight.

I understand that there's a low chance of getting the mutated sapling you're after, but there seems to be about the same chance of getting any sapling from a Forestry tree as a vanilla one.

The thing is, the sickle worked as expected about 2 versions ago in Mindcrack, then stopped dropping saplings after the next update. It's been updated another time since then so I don't know if it's been fixed.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
I know there is a certain item that will allow you to pick up saplings from any forestry bred tree with an 100% chance, but it has 4 or 5 uses. Don't know what it's called, haven't touched trees.
That would be the Grafter. Same cost as a bronze shovel, but as stated, only has about six uses.

purplefantum

Jul 29, 2019
Worse than six uses, it's garunteed drop ONLY works on mutated leaf blocks, nothing else. As for the sickle, no difference as far as i can tel whether it's leaves or tall grass.

ThemsAllTook

Jul 29, 2019
Worse than six uses, it's garunteed drop ONLY works on mutated leaf blocks, nothing else.

Guaranteed drops apply to non-mutated leaves from treealyzed vanilla trees or Forestry trees (whether treealyzed or not) too, as I recall. I've used it a few times when I was worried I might not get enough saplings to replant a forestry tree (balsa in particular since they have so few leaves), and they've always given me saplings as expected.

purplefantum

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry, should have been more specific, I ment plants that can be mutated, bad english on my part and worse checking. Still yeh, you're right. Shame they will never work on silverwoods :D

NightKev

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, it only has FIVE uses, on the sixth it breaks and just gives normal drop chance (I assume this is a bug? it better be...).

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
I've broken multiple SilkTouch Pickaxes, and on the last break, they always drop non-silk touched versions, like Cobblestone and Redstone instead of Stone and the Ore. If it's a bug, it's a vanilla bug.