Quick question involving golems and thaumcraft

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Dylan Meurs

Jul 29, 2019
Hello there FTB community this is my first post so forgive me if I seem stupid, but I need to know which blocks will not catch of fire, reason being I have a tallow golem refilling my crucible and I have had two now die because the lava under it is catching the blocks next to it on fire.

I appreciate any help or advice that can be given ^_^

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Not directly an answer to the question, but an alternative:
Use one block of netherbrick set on fire with the crucible above the fire, instead of using that lava source block.
The fire won't spread.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
Sadly, lava putting stuff on fire is Vanilla, and any block can be caught in it, as far as I know.

Maybe if you just use the bottom half slabs, but I am not sure it would work.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I do know Thermal Expansion has rockwool, it's like normal wool, but it doesn't get set on fire (or burn, I don't know for sure)
but I recommend doing like Mil said, I also use netherrack set on fire for the crucible and never had a problem with mine.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
nop, it just doesn't burn.
Even stone can catch fire if near lava, it's the little "projectiles" that come out once in a while that set fire to stuff.

On most surfaces, it will die out after a while, but depending on what are the materials, it can start an actual fire that spreads and burns blocks.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
The projectiles of lava are merely for looks, listen to notch when he implements stuff next time.

Don't have a fire or a lava block at least 3 blocks from wool/leaves/wood etc.

Ps: use lava, fire just makes an annoying sound all day.

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
It has been confirmed by others directly from the code itself that there are no particles that cause fires. It is purely asthetic when you see the sparks popping out of lava. :)

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
What causes the fires on the cobblestone then, that I saw sometimes in my magic pack around my crucible over lava?

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
Well, the fire balls might be "for look", but stone and other non flammable blocs will randomly have fire on them if near lava, that I am certain of.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
Many blocks can be set on fire, even if they won't ever burn. This includes doors, chests, signs, workbenches, Thaumcraft research tables, etc. If you have any of these near the crucible, fire will spread to them (but they will not burn up).

Jay Cee

Jul 29, 2019
Well, the fire balls might be "for look", but stone and other non flammable blocs will randomly have fire on them if near lava, that I am certain of.

The only time I have ever seen fire on stone etc is only ever briefly due to fire spreading (usually from a tree on fire or lightning strike) , never from stationary lava.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
The only time I have ever seen fire on stone etc is only ever briefly due to fire spreading (usually from a tree on fire or lightning strike) , never from stationary lava.
The only time I see it is when you have lava source block being still, and blocks being directly next to it, so that the surface of the blocks are at the same level as the top of the lava source block.
Even then, it is not exactly frequent, but I first noticed it while playing vech maps.

The fire don't seem to spread (don't quote me on that), and extinguishes quite fast, but you can and will catch fire if you are standing there.

It seems to happen more regularly when a wooden block that can't burn (chest, crafting table) is one block away, but in these cases, it might be a graphical glitch where the fire is not in the right block.

Then again, it was on 1.2.5 when I last saw this, and I didn't exactly try to see it since then, so it might have changed.

Korenn

Jul 29, 2019
It just happened to me five minutes ago, so that's definitely still in. netherrack it is :(

Unium

Jul 29, 2019
That item from RedPower 2.... that look like nether rack but you can turn it on and off.. i don't remember the name... try that.

Dylan Meurs

Jul 29, 2019
yeah I thought about an igniter unium but it just didn't suit the area to have a "machine" lol but yeah I already switched to netherack and fire and so far no random fires :D