[Question] Server Hardware

Jyrri

Jul 29, 2019
Hello Everyone, I was thinking of starting up a small FTB server for myself and a few friends. To run a small 10 slot server, with a world size of about 1,000 blocks by 1,000 blocks, how much ram do you all suggest, and what should do you suggest the CPU clock speeds to be?

Spasticon

Jul 29, 2019
Most hosts try and confuse you with lots of features that are basically meaningless on a minecraft server. The ONLY thing you really need to pay attention to is RAM. You'll notice that ALL of the hosts are extremely grudging with that one category because it's the only one that counts.

If you're going to actually have 10 people on your server, running FTB... you'll probably need 1GB at a bare minimum. I have allocated my server 4GB and it has at most 3 people on it... it consumes about 2GB on average.

This is why I run my own linux box on old hardware. Turns out RAM is cheap if you buy it yourself.

Jyrri

Jul 29, 2019
Most hosts try and confuse you with lots of features that are basically meaningless on a minecraft server. The ONLY thing you really need to pay attention to is RAM. You'll notice that ALL of the hosts are extremely grudging with that one category because it's the only one that counts.

If you're going to actually have 10 people on your server, running FTB... you'll probably need 1GB at a bare minimum. I have allocated my server 4GB and it has at most 3 people on it... it consumes about 2GB on average.

This is why I run my own linux box on old hardware. Turns out RAM is cheap if you buy it yourself.

Thank you, I was going to guess four gigs. I would much rather run it myself off an old server box I have, but I can't find anyone near where I live with a half decent connection. The best I can get is 3 up/16 down.

Spasticon

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm. Bandwidth may be less of an issue than latency. It only uses like 0.1Gbit per user.

I'd give it a try even with just 3 up.

alfblack

Jul 29, 2019
Hello, totally noob in the mincraft server hardware department. Cant really figure out it's "needs". Been running it on my old P4 (single core). That was terrible (keeps compaining it cant keep up).

Can AMD SEMPRON 145 2.8GHz can run at 10 Slot server? As long as I slap lets say 8 gigs on it. Allocate 4 gigs to the server it should run wonderfully? Running on LAN only. (no more cant keep up messages - or is this a normal thing... How does one improve tick performance?)

Building a Minecraft / XBMC machine. ;)

Actually, Thinking of getting AMD A4-3400 2.7GHz APU that would run XBMC beautifully and when I am not watching. It will be doing Minecraft serving. To further max things out. It will be running a linux variant (althought havent determined yet)

Spasticon

Jul 29, 2019
That should work fine.

I'm running Multicraft with a vanilla server for my nephews who just like using TNT all the time and a play server for me (FTB, Magic World, etc) and Plex (similar to XBMC) on an old 2Ghz 2 core box with 8 gigs RAM.

Note: I am running the server version of Ubuntu which means it doesn't have a graphical console since that adds unnecessary overhead.

SphinX

Jul 29, 2019
Don't let everyone sucker you into the whole you need 4-8GB of RAM. 2GB with 10-15 players is PLENTY. The only thing you need, is dedicated resources. The server is a lot more CPU hungry than it is RAM.

Greedseed

Jul 29, 2019

I do not know where that you have learned this but you are completely wrong !
Dont go out and giving false info please.

The correct info is that your host, providing all those details ARE very important !
There is more than just RAM to a server, and very much to a Minecraft server !

Let me sum it up.

Hard drive speed:
Minecraft is a write/rewrite application. It needs a lot of Writing speeds and a lot of IOP's from your storage media to keep up.
A normal HDD will have a maximum of 175 IOP's, minecraft will KILL this instantly. A SSD will have between 20.000IOP's up to 200.000IOP's depending what chipset you take.
This is extremely important for map write and rewrite's. Also all flatfile's take use of this.

CPU:
The CPU is important again since the java aplication will usea lot a CPU power to manage all its data flow. Anything will get computed threw the CPU, the ram is just a fast storage to get and store info from.
A bigger LN2 cahs in a CPU will improve data flow and prosessing speed. Also the newer chipset range you take will make sure the CPU is more powerfull. To explain the last part.
A 1366 Socket CPU with 2.6Ghz will be SLOWER then a 2011 Socket CPU with 2.6Ghz (Both over single core) This is thanks to the argitecture changes in the CPU itself, the newer series can handlle bigger data packets instead of having to split them up basicly.

Ram:
Ram is also not to be forgotten but the 2 objects above are equally to more important. Your ram is basicly just a fast read/write storage. It will NOT prosses anything it will just hold it there for the CPU or Hard drives to use. A larger Ram size is usefull upto a point. But if your CPU cannot keep up it is useless.
Again ram hase a couple of features you need to take in account. Its Mts and the timings. The timings are "Latency" and the lower the better. A good standard to take for DDR3 is between LC8 and LC9.
The Mts is the data transfer rate/s. This will usually on DDR3 be arround 1333 and 1600. There are higher ram dims but those will again drop your timings.

Network:
This needs to be able to hold a lot of data. Especially with Modder servers. Every switching wire is a block update that needs to be send out, also every cable that has power needs to be calculated every tick. A tick is a part of a second in minecraft. There are 20 ticks in 1 second. So you are sending out 20ticks a second of data for anything that is working. This is , machines, cables, redstone, and so on.
These packets can grow bigger depending on the size of what you build. I am talking about a bandwith of 350Gigs to 500Gigs / month for a 24/7 Server with 25 players

Spasticon

Jul 29, 2019
... flexing ...

Ok dial it back a bit there. What you say is precise, but it isn't accurate in the context of what the original poster asked. If he is browsing online minecraft hosts then he is browsing vendors that are supplying server class hardware... which generally speaking will all be in the ballpark. The ONLY thing they really offer him a lot of flexibility on is RAM amount (which of course comes with the hefty price increases for small RAM increments). So yes, if he is looking for online shared minecraft hosting then really the only consideration he has is the RAM amount.

Also, some thoughts about your numbers, based on my experience which admittedly is limited to small 10-15 player limit servers:

HDD: Ultimately you're right, SSD is the best way to go if money is no object. In practice though I've found this to be much less important if you give java enough ram. It's not like the worlds and mods even take that much room. When minecraft actually used to use flat files for the worlds I used to get around this with ramdisks that flushed to fixed disks every few minutes, but since the anvil file format came out this isn't really necessary anymore. Yes there will be performance hits during world generation, but that's to be expected no matter what storage you have.

CPU: Of course a newer/better CPU is better... however... minecraft in general has never been known to be a CPU hog. I suppose if money is no object you can buy a Ferrari to grocery shopping at Walmart. In practice though a decent processor from the last decade or so will run a small minecraft server on a linux server O/S just fine (Note: I have had CPU performance issues on anything with a GUI like linux desktop or any windows flavor).

RAM: Fortunately RAM is fairly cheap. This is what I find so annoying about the online minecraft hosting pricing.

Network: Eeeeh. Ok so network utilization was also improved by the anvil file format. However let's take a look at your numbers because they are less impressive than I think you believe they are. For the sake of argument I'll assume 500gigs is in GB (gigabytes) instead of the more common Gbit (gigabits) used when measuring network bandwidth. So that calculates out to: 500GB = 4000 Gbit. Now let's reduce it to average per second per user: 4000 Gbit / 25users / 30averagedayspermonth / 24hours / 60minutes / 60seconds = 0.00006172839Gbps (gigabits per second). That translates to about 64Kbps. Granted... that's over an entire month and your players are highly unlikely to actually be online and active for 30 continuous days... but I think you can see that utilization even using your numbers and assuming you're quoting GB instead of Gb is in the 100s of Kbps range which is entirely manageable. Ultimately network latency will probably have a bigger impact since bandwidth is generally negligible if you have Gbps upload bandwidth.

Lastly... I'm surprised by the vehemence of your response. As a forum moderator I expected a more measured response.

...unless your goal is to quash discussion and drive people away I guess. Then by all means keep up the good work.

Jamromhem

Jul 29, 2019
RAM: Fortunately RAM is fairly cheap. This is what I find so annoying about the online minecraft hosting pricing.

It is expensive to get more ram on a minecraft host, because there are limits to how much ram you can put on the motherboard.. meaning there is a limit to the amount of ram that you can give to each VPS you give on the server...

CPUs... New and better.... is not a good thing in all cases... a 4gh dual core is better than a 2.7gh quad. Minecraft still does not utilize multiple cores well, and the strong single core will be much better.

Running a minecraft server with more than 3 people on less than 1Mb upload is going to hurt you. Especially if you have people in other countries. The "best" you have near you will be fine for your needs as long as the network load isn't shared..
I have ran 10 people with livable lag from a residential connection with a 1Mb upload... Not optimal, but doable.

I would love to see the sources on your statistics on the network usage... I think you assume people are using a vanilla server... you might see the numbers you quote on a vanilla server... you add IC2.. every wire is a new block update, every tick... add redpower or buildcraft. every pipe, and tube is a new block update every tick..

For 10 people you wont need SSDs. if you plan to go above that... you might want to consider it. If you go above that I would also look to transition to databases as well...

Greedseed

Jul 29, 2019
Lastly... I'm surprised by the vehemence of your response. As a forum moderator I expected a more measured response.

...unless your goal is to quash discussion and drive people away I guess. Then by all means keep up the good work.

I would like to ask you to NOT act like a ass in your posts. Also your facts are wrong in your main post.

a SSD is very cheap these days. You can get a 40 Gig SSD for 70$ witch will be a lot better then getting 4 Gigs of ram more for a unstable ram disk that can crash and lose your stuff if your system crashes.

Your network, Take a look at what you use on a modded server, not on a vanilla server.

Ram is cheap. For your little PC. If we are talking about large server systems, it is not, then we are talking about 3000$ per Kit of 8dims of 16Gigs, This is due to the fact that you need ECC REG. but yeah for smaller systems ram is cheap. But there is only so many dims that you can put in a mainboard.

CPU's sigh, a 2011 Quad core is not so expensive over a 1366 at about the same Ghz ratio. but you DO get a 30% power boost.

Spasticon

Jul 29, 2019
... opinion ...

I'm not going to perpetuate this nonsense argument. The OP and my response were about apples, and you're busting out the oranges details.

Suffice it to say that when I see anyone asking for help with a high-end FTB server I'm sending them straight to you.

Jamromhem

Jul 29, 2019
the OP at no point said they were looking specifically for a VPS. The OP is more than capable of running off of the machine and BW that is available. It has been done on less than 3 up.

CAN I RUN A MINECRAFT SERVER?

check out that link to see if you can with what you have.

3up the site says it can run 9 people under worst case scenarios.. you should be more than fine with what is available to you.

kazenokizu

Jul 29, 2019
all im saying is i have a 6 core server with a 1 gig up and down with 8 gigs of ddr3 ram
and i have issues with magic world. and i think ram helps but not ram and a ssd would solve some issues.

Greedseed

Jul 29, 2019
all im saying is i have a 6 core server with a 1 gig up and down with 8 gigs of ddr3 ram
and i have issues with magic world. and i think ram helps but not ram and a ssd would solve some issues.

If you run a Quad core a Six Core or a 8 Core, that wont matter any dime. Minecraft is a SINGLE core application.
We have a 12Core server (24Threads) and if we run with 6 or with all 12, the server will not preform better.

The maximum you CAN use is 2 to 3 cores if seperate plugins ( witch was bukkit) or MAYBE some mods can shift some of there load of the main java core. All core calculations WILL stay in the Java core so your performance will not go up with more cores.

TheMap

Jul 29, 2019
Magic World is a beast on CPU. Ive got an I7 2600k running it and with 20-30 people it maxes the CPU out consistently. There really isn't much you can do about it. Also the bandwidth used is huge. Over the past 2 days ive managed to use almost 1 TB with 20-30 people.

The plus to renting from a server host is you have no cap on your bandwidth. Most datacenters don't have caps but you will be paying a little bit more out of the pocket if you go with one. Also you need to know what you are doing when getting into one.

Hosting from your home on your own custom built server is nice but not everyone has the luxury of ISP's that will give out high upload speeds. Especially in America.

To the OP: any of the i3-i5-i7's should do fine CPU wise for that many people.
Preferably a Solid State HD for maximum I/O.
RAM 2Gigs for the BETA pack 4Gig for Magic World.
Network wise , Its hard to say, im still testing out how much Magic World is eating up. But it is a lot.

My recommendation would to be go with CreeperHost get yourself a small-medium package and be merry.

GL

TheMap

kazenokizu

Jul 29, 2019
i know what im doing and my box is in a data center and i got it on the cheap. and i never pay a gsp to do what i can do for cheaper and better. and i know that mine craft is single threaded. and it needs better support for a multicore cpu. and like i said ram and a ssd helps lol its just getting the money for all of that.

Greedseed

Jul 29, 2019
i know what im doing and my box is in a data center and i got it on the cheap. and i never pay a gsp to do what i can do for cheaper and better. and i know that mine craft is single threaded. and it needs better support for a multicore cpu. and like i said ram and a ssd helps lol its just getting the money for all of that.

Getting multicore support it well mean MC will need to be rewritten from the ground up. They might add some sort of multicolored in the rewrite update that is supposed to come after the redstone update. But this is not confirmed

TheMap

Jul 29, 2019
Getting multicore support it well mean MC will need to be rewritten from the ground up. They might add some sort of multicolored in the rewrite update that is supposed to come after the redstone update. But this is not confirmed
They have been talking about trying to add multicore support for years now, I highly doubt anything will come about it. If anything someone will find a way to use a plugin to "hack" a half way fix for core support. Java just isn't made to support it.